World Juniors - Buffalo 2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Tipsy McStagger View Post
    Those prices are actually better than I expected. If you can get in the door for $30, there is no excuse for the lower bowl not to be full for that Russia vs USA game last night.
    Snow. Accident. Closed interstate.

What would the IIHF/USA Hockey do if Buffalo received a 1978 Beanpot Blizzard?
    CCT '77 & '78
    4 kids
    5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
    1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

• Re: World Juniors - Buffalo 2018

Originally posted by Tipsy McStagger View Post
      Those prices are actually better than I expected. If you can get in the door for $30, there is no excuse for the lower bowl not to be full for that Russia vs USA game last night.
      The semifinals will be the big test, especially since it's a 4:00 game on a workday. There still better be a good size crowd, though.
      Russell Jaslow
      [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
      U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

• Originally posted by joecct View Post
        Snow. Accident. Closed interstate.

What would the IIHF/USA Hockey do if Buffalo received a 1978 Beanpot Blizzard?
        Go, like I did in ‘78.

Comment

Originally posted by defkit View Post
          Nice win for the boys. Some random thoughts:
          - As someone mention earlier, Middlestat (sp?) was trying to do to much on his own. Led to some turnovers.
          - Great cycling overall, especially in the first and down the stretch.
          - Harper had his best game of the tournament, and it looked like the coaches recognized it and gave him more time. he did miss a golden opportunity to score, though.
          - I haven't seen Quinn Hughes play outside of this tournament, but I haven't seen as much from him as I thought I would.
          - Glad to see Bellows having a strong tournament. As a BU fan, I don't begrudge him for leaving for MJ - it was clear that he needed a change.
          - The play-by-play guy had some trouble matching names and numbers (for the US!) a few times...
          We were spoiled with how good Steve Mears has been on the PbP for NHL network the last five or so years.

I haven't been impressed with Quinn Hughes at all. Whole lot of go go and not much D. He breaks the puck out the same way EVERY time.
          The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
          "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
          GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
          GO LAKERS!!!
          GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
          "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
          Oswego State '09

Comment

Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
            The semifinals will be the big test, especially since it's a 4:00 game on a workday. There still better be a good size crowd, though.
            It'd be better from an attendance stand point if the US game was at 8 I feel. However, I do expect a pretty good Canada turnout for an 8pm semifinal vs. the Czech.
            The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
            "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
            GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
            GO LAKERS!!!
            GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
            "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
            Oswego State '09

Comment

• Originally posted by Greg Ambrose View Post
              Go, like I did in ‘78.
              When did you get home?
              CCT '77 & '78
              4 kids
              5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
              1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
              - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post
                It'd be better from an attendance stand point if the US game was at 8 I feel. However, I do expect a pretty good Canada turnout for an 8pm semifinal vs. the Czech.
                I agree. But since the USA is host and the 4:00 semifinal is always an advantage, the host gets that game. (Had the USA not made the semis, the #1 seed left would have gotten the 4:00 game.)
                Russell Jaslow

Comment

• Quinn Hughes is the youngest player in college hockey at not yet 18 years and 3 months old. If you haven't seen much of him you probably shouldn't judge him based on a handful of games against players who are, for the most, part just shy of 2 full years older than him. He has dominated international play in his age group - last summers U18 - and will dominate this tournament next year. He is absolutely electric and worth a closer follow...
                  Live Free or Die!!
                  Miami University '03

Comment

• Originally posted by The Zlax45 View Post
                    He has been mediocre at BU just like Woll at BC...The kid playing the best hasn't played yet.
                    Dope.
                    Originally posted by mookie1995
                    bc is superior to bu in nearly everything. while it is sad that it has come to it, it's the truth. if bu doesn't like it, improve.
                    Rep from Hokydad -"and your an old never been piece of ****"

Originally Posted by Dirty
                    Why is anyone surprised that Old Pio is acting like a grumpy old f^ck? He is a grumpy old f^ck.

Comment

Originally posted by Tipsy McStagger View Post
                      I am "being a dick" because you are very defensive of Buffalo and have a truckload of excuses for why the attendance isn't there this year, while at the same time criticizing Minneapolis for poor attendance in friggin 1982, and saying it wouldn't work in Boston either. Put it wherever it works. But that doesn't seem to be Buffalo this year, so I would say try some new spots.

And I am not familiar with the prices, but if that is a problem, then they should quit gouging people. People here in Minnesota paid through the nose for the Ryder Cup, so I think that we could fill a 19,000 seat hockey arena, at least for the games the USA is in, especially given the amount of Minnesotans on the team and how provincial we are.
                      I think this is the best point right here. It's hard to compare numbers to tournaments in 1982 and 1989 when the tournament was not even close to what it is now, even 1996 is a tough comparison. The tournament didn't even become a major event in Canada until TSN got a hold of it in 1991.
                      U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
                      Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
                      I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
                      But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
                      Originally posted by Doyle Woody
                      Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan View Post
                        Quinn Hughes is the youngest player in college hockey at not yet 18 years and 3 months old. If you haven't seen much of him you probably shouldn't judge him based on a handful of games against players who are, for the most, part just shy of 2 full years older than him. He has dominated international play in his age group - last summers U18 - and will dominate this tournament next year. He is absolutely electric and worth a closer follow...
                        Great skater but much to be desired in his own end. His positioning and decision making need lots of work. Early on in the tournament, he was on the ice for nearly every goal the US gave up it seemed.

Comment

Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
                          I think this is the best point right here. It's hard to compare numbers to tournaments in 1982 and 1989 when the tournament was not even close to what it is now, even 1996 is a tough comparison.
                          True. I just base my assessment by how many Canadian fans I saw stream across the border in 2011 compared to the number of American fans who attended.

The tournament didn't even become a major event in Canada until TSN got a hold of it in 1991.
                          Thanks to the Punch-up in Piestany. Seriously.
                          Russell Jaslow

Comment

True. I just base my assessment by how many Canadian fans I saw stream across the border in 2011 compared to the number of American fans who attended.
                            The tournament in 1989 was basically an attempt to be Olympic tune-up event for Anchorage, 1982 was the fifth tournament ever.

Thanks to the Punch-up in Piestany. Seriously.
                            Not a small part for sure but TSN taking the rights in 1991 and playing up the Canadian Nationalism/Holiday Event angle is why the tournament is what it is now. Canada winning five straight in the nineties at the beginning of TSN's rights run is another huge factor.
                            U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
                            Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
                            I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
                            But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
                            Originally posted by Doyle Woody
                            Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
                              The tournament in 1989 was basically an attempt to be Olympic tune-up event for Anchorage, 1982 was the fifth tournament ever.
                              I actually still have an Alaska Winter Olympic shirt. My brother was in Alaska at the time, and they were selling shirts as part of their Olympic bid attempt.
                              Russell Jaslow

Comment

Snow day! = I can watch at 4! Go 'merica!
                                It Happened!!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X