Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131415
Results 281 to 295 of 295

Thread: World Juniors - Buffalo 2018

  1. #281
    Proud supporter of Osmirwich hockey
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Northfield, VT
    Posts
    16,108
    Quote Originally Posted by Bomber View Post
    Full building and TSN announcers. This tournament is finally has some juice.
    Great atmosphere. Best team won. Hate admitting it but Canada was the most complete team.

  2. #282
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    4,759

    Re: World Juniors - Buffalo 2018

    Great game, great atmosphere... that's why the Canadians don't sweat... just too many fans!
    GO NU HOCKEY
    Always bullish on the future.
    We don't always win Hockey East or the Beanpot.. but when we do.. we are the Champions

  3. #283

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    20904/13677/07677/07621
    Posts
    35,439

    Re: World Juniors - Buffalo 2018

    Per Gord Miller (TSN)
    World Junior news, the IIHF has reportedly picked these host countries for the next 14 WJCs:
    2019 Canada
    2020 Czech Rep
    2021 Canada
    2022 Sweden
    2023 Russia
    2024 Canada
    2025 USA
    2026 Canada
    2027 Finland
    2028 Czech Rep
    2029 Canada
    2030 USA
    2031 Russia
    2032 Canada

  4. #284
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Rochester, NY USA
    Posts
    5,109

    Re: World Juniors - Buffalo 2018

    Quote Originally Posted by joecct View Post
    Per Gord Miller (TSN)
    World Junior news, the IIHF has reportedly picked these host countries for the next 14 WJCs:
    2019 Canada
    2020 Czech Rep
    2021 Canada
    2022 Sweden
    2023 Russia
    2024 Canada
    2025 USA
    2026 Canada
    2027 Finland
    2028 Czech Rep
    2029 Canada
    2030 USA
    2031 Russia
    2032 Canada
    Holy Cow. They selected 14 years?!

    Word at Buffalo was they were going to select the next seven years, with the USA getting it in 2025. So, the 2025 part was correct.

    Now, what city the USA selects for 2025 and 2030 won't be known for a while. Typically, they select it about two years in advance.
    Russell Jaslow
    [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
    U.S. College Hockey Online

  5. #285
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    5

    Re: World Juniors - Buffalo 2018

    Anyone know what's up with the 2019 World Juniors schedule? The schedule for 2018 was released in the preceding April. We're almost into August and we still don't have a schedule for the 2019 tournament? Tough to ponder travel plans...

    What gives?

  6. #286
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Rochester, NY USA
    Posts
    5,109

    Re: World Juniors - Buffalo 2018

    Quote Originally Posted by parkside21 View Post
    Anyone know what's up with the 2019 World Juniors schedule? The schedule for 2018 was released in the preceding April. We're almost into August and we still don't have a schedule for the 2019 tournament? Tough to ponder travel plans...

    What gives?
    How detailed do you need right now?

    We already know which teams are playing in which venue. It's relatively easy to figure out which days the first round and knockout games are on from past tournament schedules since that hasn't changed in years. The "only" thing we don't know are the exact days, times, and opponents each team is playing.
    Russell Jaslow
    [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
    U.S. College Hockey Online

  7. #287
    Proud supporter of Osmirwich hockey
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Northfield, VT
    Posts
    16,108

    Re: World Juniors - Buffalo 2018

    Quote Originally Posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
    Holy Cow. They selected 14 years?!

    Word at Buffalo was they were going to select the next seven years, with the USA getting it in 2025. So, the 2025 part was correct.

    Now, what city the USA selects for 2025 and 2030 won't be known for a while. Typically, they select it about two years in advance.
    I can't imagine Buffalo gets it for the US the third time in a row. I could see Pittsburgh/Detroit/Boston and Minneapolis/St. Paul as likely destinations.
    The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
    "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
    GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
    GO LAKERS!!!
    GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
    "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
    Oswego State '09

  8. #288
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    framingham, ma
    Posts
    5,295

    Re: World Juniors - Buffalo 2018

    Quote Originally Posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post
    I can't imagine Buffalo gets it for the US the third time in a row. I could see Pittsburgh/Detroit/Boston and Minneapolis/St. Paul as likely destinations.
    The last time it was in Boston, it was a bust crowd-wise. The only game that got any attention at all was the US - Canada game. The Canada games against teams other than the US were mostly Canadian youth teams who combined a trip to the Boston area for a holiday tournament with attendance at the Juniors tournament.

    Might be a little different now that there are more Juniors teams in the US, but I kinda doubt it. There's just too much else going on that time of year. I'm guessing that the reason why Buffalo seems relatively successful attendance-wise is its proximity to Canada. Maybe Detroit might work for the same reason.

  9. #289

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    20904/13677/07677/07621
    Posts
    35,439

    Re: World Juniors - Buffalo 2018

    Detroit has Windsor
    Grand Forks has Winnipeg
    Buffalo has the (tapped out) Golden Horseshoe
    Seattle has Vancouver

    Forget everywhere else.

  10. #290
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    2,173

    Re: World Juniors - Buffalo 2018

    Quote Originally Posted by CLS View Post
    The last time it was in Boston, it was a bust crowd-wise. The only game that got any attention at all was the US - Canada game. The Canada games against teams other than the US were mostly Canadian youth teams who combined a trip to the Boston area for a holiday tournament with attendance at the Juniors tournament.

    Might be a little different now that there are more Juniors teams in the US, but I kinda doubt it. There's just too much else going on that time of year. I'm guessing that the reason why Buffalo seems relatively successful attendance-wise is its proximity to Canada. Maybe Detroit might work for the same reason.
    They played the USA/Canada prelim game in Worcester and some of the junior games were at the New England Sports Center in Marlboro. There are plenty of college rinks that could be the secondary facility with the Garden now.
    Yes I am the former member known as Zlax45

  11. #291
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    framingham, ma
    Posts
    5,295

    Re: World Juniors - Buffalo 2018

    Quote Originally Posted by The Zlax45 View Post
    They played the USA/Canada prelim game in Worcester and some of the junior games were at the New England Sports Center in Marlboro. There are plenty of college rinks that could be the secondary facility with the Garden now.
    They did use Matthews -- I was a volunteer stat runner. The problem wasn't lack of facilities; it was lack of crowds. The Garden would make no sense. They didn't even fill Worcester for USA/Canada.

  12. #292

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    20904/13677/07677/07621
    Posts
    35,439
    Quote Originally Posted by CLS View Post
    They did use Matthews -- I was a volunteer stat runner. The problem wasn't lack of facilities; it was lack of crowds. The Garden would make no sense. They didn't even fill Worcester for USA/Canada.
    I was watching the backhaul of the final from Conte and Bob McKenzie was not impressed with the organizers and USAH.

    However, times have changed and a combo of Matthew's and Agganis could work if the local organizers were serious about it.
    Last edited by joecct; 07-26-2018 at 02:25 PM.

  13. #293
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    2,173

    Re: World Juniors - Buffalo 2018

    Quote Originally Posted by CLS View Post
    They did use Matthews -- I was a volunteer stat runner. The problem wasn't lack of facilities; it was lack of crowds. The Garden would make no sense. They didn't even fill Worcester for USA/Canada.
    Games were EVERYWHERE! Amherst, Worcester, Marlboro, Boston (Northeastern) while the Medal games were at BC. I would expect them if they were to do a bid that it would be Agganis and the Garden.

    The event is much different now than it was 20+ years ago and gets more attention. I think they go back to North Dakota before Boston/Pittsburgh.
    Yes I am the former member known as Zlax45

  14. #294
    defkit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    North Shore, MA
    Posts
    3,037

    Re: World Juniors - Buffalo 2018

    While I think things are different, I would still hesitate about bringing the WJC to Boston. There is an inherent selfishness/arrogance about our own teams around here, which is great when you are talking about pro teams. But when you need to draw crowds for a Slovakia/Finland game, I just see it doing poorly again. Sure, any game with USA or Canada would draw well, but the rest, not so much.
    BU Hockey: The trophy case is once again growing

  15. #295
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    2,173

    Re: World Juniors - Buffalo 2018

    Quote Originally Posted by defkit View Post
    While I think things are different, I would still hesitate about bringing the WJC to Boston. There is an inherent selfishness/arrogance about our own teams around here, which is great when you are talking about pro teams. But when you need to draw crowds for a Slovakia/Finland game, I just see it doing poorly again. Sure, any game with USA or Canada would draw well, but the rest, not so much.
    Agree
    Yes I am the former member known as Zlax45

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •