Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: World Juniors - Buffalo 2018

Originally posted by parkside21 View Post
    Anyone know what's up with the 2019 World Juniors schedule? The schedule for 2018 was released in the preceding April. We're almost into August and we still don't have a schedule for the 2019 tournament? Tough to ponder travel plans...

What gives?
    How detailed do you need right now?

We already know which teams are playing in which venue. It's relatively easy to figure out which days the first round and knockout games are on from past tournament schedules since that hasn't changed in years. The "only" thing we don't know are the exact days, times, and opponents each team is playing.
    Russell Jaslow
    [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
    U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
      Holy Cow. They selected 14 years?!

Word at Buffalo was they were going to select the next seven years, with the USA getting it in 2025. So, the 2025 part was correct.

Now, what city the USA selects for 2025 and 2030 won't be known for a while. Typically, they select it about two years in advance.
      I can't imagine Buffalo gets it for the US the third time in a row. I could see Pittsburgh/Detroit/Boston and Minneapolis/St. Paul as likely destinations.
      The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
      "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
      GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
      GO LAKERS!!!
      GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
      "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
      Oswego State '09

Comment

Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post
        I can't imagine Buffalo gets it for the US the third time in a row. I could see Pittsburgh/Detroit/Boston and Minneapolis/St. Paul as likely destinations.
        The last time it was in Boston, it was a bust crowd-wise. The only game that got any attention at all was the US - Canada game. The Canada games against teams other than the US were mostly Canadian youth teams who combined a trip to the Boston area for a holiday tournament with attendance at the Juniors tournament.

Might be a little different now that there are more Juniors teams in the US, but I kinda doubt it. There's just too much else going on that time of year. I'm guessing that the reason why Buffalo seems relatively successful attendance-wise is its proximity to Canada. Maybe Detroit might work for the same reason.

Comment

Detroit has Windsor
          Grand Forks has Winnipeg
          Buffalo has the (tapped out) Golden Horseshoe
          Seattle has Vancouver

Forget everywhere else.
          CCT '77 & '78
          4 kids
          5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
          1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
          - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by CLS View Post
            The last time it was in Boston, it was a bust crowd-wise. The only game that got any attention at all was the US - Canada game. The Canada games against teams other than the US were mostly Canadian youth teams who combined a trip to the Boston area for a holiday tournament with attendance at the Juniors tournament.

Might be a little different now that there are more Juniors teams in the US, but I kinda doubt it. There's just too much else going on that time of year. I'm guessing that the reason why Buffalo seems relatively successful attendance-wise is its proximity to Canada. Maybe Detroit might work for the same reason.
            They played the USA/Canada prelim game in Worcester and some of the junior games were at the New England Sports Center in Marlboro. There are plenty of college rinks that could be the secondary facility with the Garden now.
            Yes I am the former member known as Zlax45

Comment

Originally posted by The Zlax45 View Post
              They played the USA/Canada prelim game in Worcester and some of the junior games were at the New England Sports Center in Marlboro. There are plenty of college rinks that could be the secondary facility with the Garden now.
              They did use Matthews -- I was a volunteer stat runner. The problem wasn't lack of facilities; it was lack of crowds. The Garden would make no sense. They didn't even fill Worcester for USA/Canada.

Comment

• Originally posted by CLS View Post
                They did use Matthews -- I was a volunteer stat runner. The problem wasn't lack of facilities; it was lack of crowds. The Garden would make no sense. They didn't even fill Worcester for USA/Canada.
                I was watching the backhaul of the final from Conte and Bob McKenzie was not impressed with the organizers and USAH.

However, times have changed and a combo of Matthew's and Agganis could work if the local organizers were serious about it.
                Last edited by joecct; 07-26-2018, 02:25 PM.
                CCT '77 & '78
                4 kids
                5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by CLS View Post
                  Games were EVERYWHERE! Amherst, Worcester, Marlboro, Boston (Northeastern) while the Medal games were at BC. I would expect them if they were to do a bid that it would be Agganis and the Garden.

The event is much different now than it was 20+ years ago and gets more attention. I think they go back to North Dakota before Boston/Pittsburgh.

Comment

While I think things are different, I would still hesitate about bringing the WJC to Boston. There is an inherent selfishness/arrogance about our own teams around here, which is great when you are talking about pro teams. But when you need to draw crowds for a Slovakia/Finland game, I just see it doing poorly again. Sure, any game with USA or Canada would draw well, but the rest, not so much.
                    BU Hockey: The trophy case is once again growing

Comment

Originally posted by defkit View Post
                      While I think things are different, I would still hesitate about bringing the WJC to Boston. There is an inherent selfishness/arrogance about our own teams around here, which is great when you are talking about pro teams. But when you need to draw crowds for a Slovakia/Finland game, I just see it doing poorly again. Sure, any game with USA or Canada would draw well, but the rest, not so much.
                      Agree

Comment

Working...
                      X