Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: World Juniors - Buffalo 2018

Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
    I think this is the major factor. Attendance this year compared to 2011 has been brutal. And the Canadian fans are the key to the success of this tournament. There’s a reason Canada hosts it virtually every other year.

Also, the ticket prices are way too high.
    Ding ding ding...It's pretty obvious there needs to be a major look at this tournament next time it comes around to the US and Eastern Canada.

Ticket prices either need to drop or it needs to be played in smaller arenas. First thing that comes to my mind is Maruicci/Ridder in Minneapolis if the US gets to host again but the Gophers might not like that... Sadly, I feel that a lot of the attendance woes will get overshadowed by the 45K that were at the US/Canada outdoor game. The tournament organizers surely made their money on that game and put all the eggs in that basket.
    The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
    "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
    GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
    GO LAKERS!!!
    GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
    "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
    Oswego State '09

Comment

• Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post
      Negative. Outdoor game is on. Honestly, I wouldn’t be surprised if finances was part of the decision. It’s the only game that’s bringing any money in for the tourney and it would have been a logistical nightmare to try and move it inside on 27 hours notice. How would you do tickets? Refund everyone and go general admission first come first served.
      Not that this response means anything now, but they did have a detailed process to handle tickets if the game were moved indoors.

Basically there was a pecking order depending on how you bought your ticket. The more expensive package you bought, the higher on the pecking order. If you just bought a ticket to the outdoor game, you probably would have been out of luck. If you didn’t get in if the game moved, you would get a refund.
      Russell Jaslow
      [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
      U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

Ding ding ding...It's pretty obvious there needs to be a major look at this tournament next time it comes around to the US and Eastern Canada.

Ticket prices either need to drop or it needs to be played in smaller arenas. First thing that comes to my mind is Maruicci/Ridder in Minneapolis if the US gets to host again but the Gophers might not like that... Sadly, I feel that a lot of the attendance woes will get overshadowed by the 45K that were at the US/Canada outdoor game. The tournament organizers surely made their money on that game and put all the eggs in that basket.

I don't think it would do well in Minneapolis without a massive reduction in prices.
        HS tourneys going on over break and college games that are not that expensive would draw people over that.
        "If you leave ignorance and stupidity alone, ignorance and stupidity will think it's ok."
        -Gallagher

R.I.P.
        Grandpa G. ~ Feb 11, 1918-Oct. 6, 1999
        Grandma ~ Jan 2004
        Dad ~ Nov. 4, 1958-April 21, 2008
        Grandpa S. ~ June 21, 1932-November 11, 2013

Comment

• Originally posted by First Time, Long Time View Post
          I don't think it would do well in Minneapolis without a massive reduction in prices.
          HS tourneys going on over break and college games that are not that expensive would draw people over that.
          Can’t recall but how was the attendance when they had it in Grand Forks back in 05’?
          Fly Eagles Fly!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by icehawk View Post
            Can’t recall but how was the attendance when they had it in Grand Forks back in 05’?
            Manitoba drank the Ralph dry.
            CCT '77 & '78
            4 kids
            5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
            1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
            - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

• Originally posted by joecct View Post
              The first night. I do remember that.
              Fly Eagles Fly!!!

Comment

If you choose to do something, do it right
                a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post
                  I almost didn’t mind Canada’s telus sponsorship in regards to having the sleeves like the US had. The US used to have Gillette on the sleeves which blended in a lot better. I feel like Canada’s telus blends in similiar to how the helmet manufacturers logos blend in since it’s in same place.

The refs wearing their obnoxious large print square box logos have been the most glaring to me....
                  I'm actually surprised that the IIHF didn't plaster team uniforms with even more ads than they did. Check out the Canada unis from the Spengler Cup to see how obnoxious it could have been. And using the refs as moving billboards is beyond obnoxious.
                  "Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

Comment

• Originally posted by Split-N View Post
                    I'm actually surprised that the IIHF didn't plaster team uniforms with even more ads than they did. Check out the Canada unis from the Spengler Cup to see how obnoxious it could have been. And using the refs as moving billboards is beyond obnoxious.
                    Oh dear lord....
                    The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
                    "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
                    GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
                    GO LAKERS!!!
                    GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
                    "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
                    Oswego State '09

Comment

Oh dear lord....
                      Hockey Related Revenue. If somebody wants to sponsor the ref sweaters and pays you €1 million, are you telling them no?

BTW, when's the big day?
                      CCT '77 & '78
                      4 kids

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                      - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

Comment

Hockey Related Revenue. If somebody wants to sponsor the ref sweaters and pays you €1 million, are you telling them no?

BTW, when's the big day?
                        I find it hilarious people get worked up about it. It’s a jersey, who gives a ****?
                        U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
                        Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
                        I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
                        But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
                        Originally posted by Doyle Woody
                        Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

• Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
                          I find it hilarious people get worked up about it. It’s a jersey, who gives a ****?
                          CCT '77 & '78
                          4 kids

- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post

BTW, when's the big day?
                            The ref jerseys have been sponsored in IIHF for years....
                            Yes I am the former member known as Zlax45

Comment

Keep it in North Dakota and Minnesota............

Comment

Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post

The last time it was in Minneapolis, it bombed. It bombed in Boston, too. Both hockey cities.

We have to remember something. Outside of diehard hockey fans, the WJC doesn't mean much in the U.S. It's the Canadians who support this tournament.

The only time it's been successful in the U.S. is when it's held in a border city. Grand Forks did great. The whole city of Winnipeg went there... Buffalo did great the first time. Canadian preliminary games were nearly sold out, and the USA-Canada game was sold out. The Canadian playoff games were sold out. The U.S. games did very well, but that was the result of a combination of package sales to Canadians who bought them to ensure getting Canadian game tickets and prices being a bit more reasonable for American fans to stomach.

I think the reason it hasn't done as well this time in Buffalo is because of what Joe said -- the Golden Horseshoe area had to support this tournament three out of four years. That was simply asking too much of them and their personal household budgets (not to mention the exchange rate from the Canadian perspective sucks right now, especially compared to the last time).

If Canada makes the gold medal game, I'm sure that will sell out. That and the outdoor game will be the only saving grace this year.
                                Russell Jaslow
                                [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
                                U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

Working...
                                X