Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: World Juniors - Buffalo 2018

Opposite Girl

Re: World Juniors - Buffalo 2018

Quote Originally Posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
    That was the exact strategy Boston tried when they did host the WJC. Nobody went to the games...

Can Canadians commute on a daily basis? I think that's too far. Last time it was in Buffalo, Canadians were commuting on a daily basis, which is why attendance was so much better in 2011. They didn't just come down for the final two days (which I expect them to do tomorrow and Friday).
    But it was also a different tournament in those days. And different times. I think it's worth a shot to try again as, even though it really is for diehards in the US, I think it's more accessible now.

When is it overseas next? How does it do when it's somewhere in Europe?

Quote Originally Posted by Scarlet View Post
    But it was also a different tournament in those days. And different times. I think it's worth a shot to try again as, even though it really is for diehards in the US, I think it's more accessible now.

When is it overseas next? How does it do when it's somewhere in Europe?
    2019 -- Vancouver and Victoria
    2020 -- Czech Republic
    2021 -- Canada (exact sites not yet selected)

I do agree times are different now. But, I don't know how much of a difference that will make.
    Russell Jaslow
    [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
    U.S. College Hockey Online

USA hosted attendance figures.

1982 (Bloomington, Minneapolis, Duluth as well as Winnipeg (two Canadian games) and Kenora) -- 86,941 (3,105/match)

1989 (Anchorage, Eagle River) -- 45,934 (1,641/match)

1996 (Boston, Amherst, Marlborough) -- no attendance listed other than the comment "Attendance was less than spectacular."

2005 (Grand Forks, Thief River Falls) -- 193,256 (6,234/match)

2011 (Buffalo, Lewiston) -- 329,687 (10,635/match)

2018 (Buffalo after 25 matches) -- 167,784 (6,711 per match)

What do the two highest attended events have in common...? And Buffalo this year still outdoes anyone else not near Canada.
    Last edited by Russell Jaslow; 01-03-2018 at 10:43 AM.
    Russell Jaslow

1982 (Bloomington, Minneapolis, Duluth as well as Winnipeg (two Canadian games) and Kenora) -- 86,941 (3,105/match)

1996 (Boston, Amherst and Marlborough) -- no attendance listed other than the comment "Attendance was less than spectacular."

What do the two highest attended events have in common...?
    What is next to the Canadien border Alex

1996 (Boston, Amherst, Marlborough) -- no attendance listed other than the comment "Attendance was less than spectacular."

2018 (Buffalo after 25 matches) -- 167,784 (6,711 per match)

What do the two highest attended events have in common...? And Buffalo this year still outdoes anyone else not near Canada.
    Take away the outdoor game and itís below the GF numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by Scarlet View Post
    How does it do when it's somewhere in Europe?
    2016 Finland -- 215,226 (7,174 per match)
    2014 Sweden -- 144,268 (4,654 per match)
    2013 Russia -- 110,175 (3,554 per match)

I must admit, those figures are better than I would have thought.
    Russell Jaslow

Quote Originally Posted by icehawk View Post
    Take away the outdoor game and it’s below the GF numbers.
    Good point. But it does not count the final four games yet, which I would be surprised it they do not attract much larger Canadian crowds.
    Russell Jaslow

Quote Originally Posted by icehawk View Post
    What is next to the Canadien border Alex
    Within reasonable driving distance. Sheesh... Do I need to spell everything out for you guys?
    Last edited by Russell Jaslow; 01-03-2018 at 11:14 AM.
    Russell Jaslow

Nice win for the boys. Some random thoughts:
    - As someone mention earlier, Middlestat (sp?) was trying to do to much on his own. Led to some turnovers.
    - Great cycling overall, especially in the first and down the stretch.
    - Harper had his best game of the tournament, and it looked like the coaches recognized it and gave him more time. he did miss a golden opportunity to score, though.
    - I haven't seen Quinn Hughes play outside of this tournament, but I haven't seen as much from him as I thought I would.
    - Glad to see Bellows having a strong tournament. As a BU fan, I don't begrudge him for leaving for MJ - it was clear that he needed a change.
    - The play-by-play guy had some trouble matching names and numbers (for the US!) a few times...
    BU Hockey: The trophy case is once again growing

Falling on fans at NHC since 2001

Here are the ticket prices for the medal round games: http://www.buffaloworldjuniors.com/p...al-round-games

They also still list some other game prices.

I post this so those not knowing what prices are being asked for can now look.

BTW, nobody is sitting in the 300 level so far. If you bought the 300 level, they are immediately upgrading you to the lower level as you walk in, so it looks a little more "full." If I paid prices for the lower level, I'd be ticked.
    Those prices are actually better than I expected. If you can get in the door for $30, there is no excuse for the lower bowl not to be full for that Russia vs USA game last night.
    Quote Originally Posted by SJHovey View Post
    Pretty sure this post, made on January 3, 2016, when UNO was 14-3-1 and #2 in the pairwise, will go down in USCHO lore as The Curse of Tipsy McStagger.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brenthoven View Post
    We mourn for days after a loss, puff out our chests for a week or more after we win. We brave the cold for tailgates, our friends know not to ask about the game after a tough loss, we laugh, we cry, we BLEED hockey, specifically the maroon'n'gold. Many of us have a tattoo waiting in the wings, WHEN (not IF) the Gophers are champions again.

Quote Originally Posted by Tipsy McStagger View Post
    Those prices are actually better than I expected. If you can get in the door for $30, there is no excuse for the lower bowl not to be full for that Russia vs USA game last night.
    Snow. Accident. Closed interstate.

What would the IIHF/USA Hockey do if Buffalo received a 1978 Beanpot Blizzard?

The semifinals will be the big test, especially since it's a 4:00 game on a workday. There still better be a good size crowd, though.
    Russell Jaslow

Quote Originally Posted by joecct View Post
    Snow. Accident. Closed interstate.

What would the IIHF/USA Hockey do if Buffalo received a 1978 Beanpot Blizzard?
    Go, like I did in Ď78.

Proud supporter of Osmirwich hockey

Quote Originally Posted by defkit View Post
    Nice win for the boys. Some random thoughts:
    - As someone mention earlier, Middlestat (sp?) was trying to do to much on his own. Led to some turnovers.
    - Great cycling overall, especially in the first and down the stretch.
    - Harper had his best game of the tournament, and it looked like the coaches recognized it and gave him more time. he did miss a golden opportunity to score, though.
    - I haven't seen Quinn Hughes play outside of this tournament, but I haven't seen as much from him as I thought I would.
    - Glad to see Bellows having a strong tournament. As a BU fan, I don't begrudge him for leaving for MJ - it was clear that he needed a change.
    - The play-by-play guy had some trouble matching names and numbers (for the US!) a few times...
    We were spoiled with how good Steve Mears has been on the PbP for NHL network the last five or so years.

I haven't been impressed with Quinn Hughes at all. Whole lot of go go and not much D. He breaks the puck out the same way EVERY time.
    The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
    "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
    GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
    GO LAKERS!!!
    GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
    "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
    Oswego State '09

Proud supporter of Osmirwich hockey

The semifinals will be the big test, especially since it's a 4:00 game on a workday. There still better be a good size crowd, though.
    It'd be better from an attendance stand point if the US game was at 8 I feel. However, I do expect a pretty good Canada turnout for an 8pm semifinal vs. the Czech.
    The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
    "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
    GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
    GO LAKERS!!!
    GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
    "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
    Oswego State '09

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Ambrose View Post
    Go, like I did in Ď78.
    When did you get home?

Quote Originally Posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post
    It'd be better from an attendance stand point if the US game was at 8 I feel. However, I do expect a pretty good Canada turnout for an 8pm semifinal vs. the Czech.
    I agree. But since the USA is host and the 4:00 semifinal is always an advantage, the host gets that game. (Had the USA not made the semis, the #1 seed left would have gotten the 4:00 game.)
    Russell Jaslow

Quinn Hughes is the youngest player in college hockey at not yet 18 years and 3 months old. If you haven't seen much of him you probably shouldn't judge him based on a handful of games against players who are, for the most, part just shy of 2 full years older than him. He has dominated international play in his age group - last summers U18 - and will dominate this tournament next year. He is absolutely electric and worth a closer follow...

The Original Dope Detector theprofromdover's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Zlax45 View Post
    He has been mediocre at BU just like Woll at BC...The kid playing the best hasn't played yet.
    Dope.

Already insane, UAA making it worse

I am "being a dick" because you are very defensive of Buffalo and have a truckload of excuses for why the attendance isn't there this year, while at the same time criticizing Minneapolis for poor attendance in friggin 1982, and saying it wouldn't work in Boston either. Put it wherever it works. But that doesn't seem to be Buffalo this year, so I would say try some new spots.

And I am not familiar with the prices, but if that is a problem, then they should quit gouging people. People here in Minnesota paid through the nose for the Ryder Cup, so I think that we could fill a 19,000 seat hockey arena, at least for the games the USA is in, especially given the amount of Minnesotans on the team and how provincial we are.
    I think this is the best point right here. It's hard to compare numbers to tournaments in 1982 and 1989 when the tournament was not even close to what it is now, even 1996 is a tough comparison. The tournament didn't even become a major event in Canada until TSN got a hold of it in 1991.
    U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
    Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
    I spell Failure with UAF

Quote Originally Posted by UAFIceAngel
    But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
    Quote Originally Posted by Doyle Woody
    Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Thread Information