This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
    Good luck beating the right with that. All they have to do to get elected is avoid Roy Moore, and Todd Akin. We have to avoid career politicians because we have government as much as the Republicans do? Oh, wait.
    Those guys are the modern Republican Party though so that’s probably not happening.

Comment

• Re: The States: Doing Their Own Thing...

No wonder Puerto Rico was/is in the dark.

https://www.npr.org/2018/01/11/57743...-power-utility
      CCT '77 & '78
      4 kids
      5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
      1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
      - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Regarding the California raid, a stance from California: http://www.wgmd.com/california-ag-03...anctuary-laws/

ETA: Here's one that actually works: http://dailycaller.com/2018/01/18/ca...ith-ice-video/

Comment

Originally posted by trixR4kids View Post
          And then when he loses don’t blame the voters like an idiot. Blame the fact that you keep trying the same thing over and over and acting confused when it doesn’t work for the 4th time since 2000.

Why do you keep enabling horrible candidates during the primary with no plan to help the average person that lose to half wits with a double digit IQ in the general election? That’s the better question.
          You do realize that you have to abide by the results of the primaries right? As in, if your candidate goes through and doesn't win, don't act like a toddler in a sandbox if fellow Dems choose somebody else. That's the problem you and Kep have. Its the sense that either you get your way or you go home, instead of contributing to the greater good. So, I'm happy to separate Sanders the senator from his supporters, but several million of you actively voted FOR Trump and put him in the White House. Now you want the rest of the party to fall in line behind your sabotage? Ummm..not sure how old you are, but life kinda doesn't work that way? That's why Little Ralphie Nader squandered any good will he once had and is now widely known as a laughingstock.
          Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

Originally posted by BassAle View Post
            Amazon would gentrify Detroit.
            Only if they built a real life Robocop!

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

Comment

Originally posted by Rover View Post
              You do realize that you have to abide by the results of the primaries right? As in, if your candidate goes through and doesn't win, don't act like a toddler in a sandbox if fellow Dems choose somebody else. That's the problem you and Kep have. Its the sense that either you get your way or you go home, instead of contributing to the greater good. So, I'm happy to separate Sanders the senator from his supporters, but several million of you actively voted FOR Trump and put him in the White House. Now you want the rest of the party to fall in line behind your sabotage? Ummm..not sure how old you are, but life kinda doesn't work that way? That's why Little Ralphie Nader squandered any good will he once had and is now widely known as a laughingstock.
              It doesn't matter. You'll never convince them and they certainly will not convince us. The Democrats will continue as a lost organization for perpetuity and the Republicans will continue as they have forever because of it. It's a stalemate and it's one in which Democrats lose.
              **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
              Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                This is just you spouting a talking point the right has put into your head that has no relation to reality. If you were capable of independent thought -- of thought at all -- you might escape this bullsh-t. But I'll say this for the focus group theoreticians -- boy have they got your number. So keep regurgitating this stuff back while we keep circling the drain. Keep letting them push your buttons and for goodness' sake don't ever for a moment question that maybe you are being deliberately sliced and diced apart from potential allies because they know how to activate your cultural resentments and your hurt feewies.
                My cultural resentments that they're activating? Exactly what would those be? I've stated on here numerous times, I support gay marriage. I think abortion should be an issue of choice for the woman. My position on immigration, which I've posted here multiple times, is probably as liberal as any person in this country. My view is that if you want to move here, welcome. You have to obey our laws, pay taxes, and do everything else the rest of us do. You don't get to vote or get the privileges of citizenship unless you actually go through the process of becoming a citizen, but you're certainly free to apply. Immigration is simply nature telling people to move to a place with a better standard of living, and it's immoral to try to impede that with laws.

So exactly how, again, is the right activating my cultural buttons?

I've always viewed all politicians as people looking only for power for themselves and the ability to line their own pockets and the pockets of their friends. Nothing I've seen over my lifetime has changed that opinion.

But the thing I've found about Republican candidates, for the most part, is they'll tell you exactly how they're going to try to seize that power and steal from me. I also understand that they won't be able to steal everything because someone will oppose the most egregious of the thefts simply for political reasons and the chance to gain power and line their own pockets. I've trusted the Courts to impede their cultural attacks.

The problem I've found with most Democratic candidates is I really have no idea what I'm getting. I could get a Paul Wellstone who does exactly what he says he'll do. Or I'll get someone who will pander to the 99%, then spend their years in office claiming the reason they haven't actually done what they promised to do is because they've been obstructed every step of the way.

I always choose the devil I know over the one I don't.
                That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
                  Immigration is simply nature telling people to move to a place with a better standard of living, and it's immoral to try to impede that with laws.
                  I'm a flaming liberal, but I'm going to break with many on the left here: I'm okay with limiting immigration.

Unlike Trump and the righties, I'm _not_ okay with limiting it based on someone's country of origin, religion, color of their skin, etc. I'm okay with limiting it based on whether or not they provide some skill that our economy needs.

I would like our country to be more like Canada or a European country in terms of healthcare, maternity and paternity leave, public transportation spending, education, social safety net,etc.
                  Because of its universal Healthcare and generous social benefits, Canada has a pretty strict immigration system. They have some quotas for refugees etc, but it's generally a points based system. You get points for being younger, points for being skilled/educated, points for speaking English and French. Basically, they want people that are going to contribute the most before becoming a drain on the healthcare system.

We need a certain number of "unskilled" workers, but younger is better because they'll pay into social security and medicare longer. We need more engineers, scientists, doctors, nurses. But from an environmental point of view, I wish we could get to an economy that functions well with zero or slightly negative population growth.

Comment

We're not producing enough kids. We need immigrants just to maintain the labor force. And if we do it smart they pay taxes. Win-Win.
                    **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

• Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                      We're not producing enough kids. We need immigrants just to maintain the labor force. And if we do it smart they pay taxes. Win-Win.
                      So, get busy America!! I did my part, now do yours!
                      CCT '77 & '78
                      4 kids
                      5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                      1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                      - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by BassAle View Post
                        I'm a flaming liberal, but I'm going to break with many on the left here: I'm okay with limiting immigration.

Unlike Trump and the righties, I'm _not_ okay with limiting it based on someone's country of origin, religion, color of their skin, etc. I'm okay with limiting it based on whether or not they provide some skill that our economy needs.

I would like our country to be more like Canada or a European country in terms of healthcare, maternity and paternity leave, public transportation spending, education, social safety net,etc.
                        Because of its universal Healthcare and generous social benefits, Canada has a pretty strict immigration system. They have some quotas for refugees etc, but it's generally a points based system. You get points for being younger, points for being skilled/educated, points for speaking English and French. Basically, they want people that are going to contribute the most before becoming a drain on the healthcare system.

We need a certain number of "unskilled" workers, but younger is better because they'll pay into social security and medicare longer. We need more engineers, scientists, doctors, nurses. But from an environmental point of view, I wish we could get to an economy that functions well with zero or slightly negative population growth.
                        I have a similar view. I'd rather not see my party become known for unfettered immigration for anybody who wants to cross the border. While I sympathize greatly with the reason why many illegals make the trek to the US, we also need everyone to go through a much more orderly process. I'm all for taking care of the Dreamers of course as they didn't choose to come here. For everyone else we need a process for determining who gets to stay and who doesn't but there is no guarantee you'll get to stay even if you don't have a criminal record.

Comment

Nowhere did I say I won't vote for the lesser of two evils, I'd rather Hillary win and the SC gets tilted in the other direction, trust me.

But I also realize that people who have known nothing but generational poverty (i.e. the black voters who dems expect to turn out but then do absolutely nothing for) probably aren't going to go out of their way to vote based on that. I find it funny how you act like Bernie needed to do more to get black votes but then supported the candidate who was going to do absolutely nothing for them and were surprised when they didn't turn out and act like the black voters are lazy and stupid. Hmmm....

Comment

Originally posted by trixR4kids View Post
                            Nowhere did I say I won't vote for the lesser of two evils, I'd rather Hillary win and the SC gets tilted in the other direction, trust me.

But I also realize that people who have known nothing but generational poverty (i.e. the black voters who dems expect to turn out but then do absolutely nothing for) probably aren't going to go out of their way to vote based on that. I find it funny how you act like Bernie needed to do more to get black votes but then supported the candidate who was going to do absolutely nothing for them and were surprised when they didn't turn out and act like the black voters are lazy and stupid. Hmmm....
                            The sentence I highlighted is the key point here. There are lots of programs to try and help, in your particular example, black voters to escape generational poverty. In fact some do. What you tend to overlook is what will happen once Republicans seize total control of the government. What will happen is existing programs will be gutted to pay for tax cuts for the rich and in these particular times racism will be back in vogue. That's the lesson I feel far lefties never learn - they consistently underestimate the depravity of the right and sit back and let them obtain power. Once in power, they will make the lives of these people more miserable whenever they can, because they aren't wealthy GOP donors. With Dems in office, even Joe Manchin, you have a chance at affecting these policies and improving them. With total GOP control, they all get obliterated as we're seeing now. I'm not sure why that notion never seems to resonate the Republicans are pretty much doing exactly what they said they would. People too stupid to recognize that deserve to take it in the shorts. I'm done trying to save people from themselves.

Comment

The sentence I highlighted is the key point here. There are lots of programs to try and help, in your particular example, black voters to escape generational poverty. In fact some do. What you tend to overlook is what will happen once Republicans seize total control of the government. What will happen is existing programs will be gutted to pay for tax cuts for the rich and in these particular times racism will be back in vogue. That's the lesson I feel far lefties never learn - they consistently underestimate the depravity of the right and sit back and let them obtain power. Once in power, they will make the lives of these people more miserable whenever they can, because they aren't wealthy GOP donors. With Dems in office, even Joe Manchin, you have a chance at affecting these policies and improving them. With total GOP control, they all get obliterated as we're seeing now. I'm not sure why that notion never seems to resonate the Republicans are pretty much doing exactly what they said they would. People too stupid to recognize that deserve to take it in the shorts. I'm done trying to save people from themselves.
                              Democrats are all or nothing voters. Republicans are not. Advantage? Republicans.

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
                                My cultural resentments that they're activating? Exactly what would those be? I've stated on here numerous times, I support gay marriage. I think abortion should be an issue of choice for the woman. My position on immigration, which I've posted here multiple times, is probably as liberal as any person in this country. My view is that if you want to move here, welcome. You have to obey our laws, pay taxes, and do everything else the rest of us do. You don't get to vote or get the privileges of citizenship unless you actually go through the process of becoming a citizen, but you're certainly free to apply. Immigration is simply nature telling people to move to a place with a better standard of living, and it's immoral to try to impede that with laws.

So exactly how, again, is the right activating my cultural buttons?

I've always viewed all politicians as people looking only for power for themselves and the ability to line their own pockets and the pockets of their friends. Nothing I've seen over my lifetime has changed that opinion.

But the thing I've found about Republican candidates, for the most part, is they'll tell you exactly how they're going to try to seize that power and steal from me. I also understand that they won't be able to steal everything because someone will oppose the most egregious of the thefts simply for political reasons and the chance to gain power and line their own pockets. I've trusted the Courts to impede their cultural attacks.

The problem I've found with most Democratic candidates is I really have no idea what I'm getting. I could get a Paul Wellstone who does exactly what he says he'll do. Or I'll get someone who will pander to the 99%, then spend their years in office claiming the reason they haven't actually done what they promised to do is because they've been obstructed every step of the way.

I always choose the devil I know over the one I don't.
                                I just wanted you to know I got a good Friday afternoon chuckle out of you hunched over your little keyboard pecking out all 342 words, firm in the belief that a trite cliche like BSABSVR qualifies as original, intelligent thought.
                                Originally posted by dicaslover
                                Yep, you got it. I heart Maize.

Originally posted by Kristin
                                Maybe I'm missing something but you just asked me which MSU I go to and then you knew the theme of my homecoming, how do you know one and not the other?

Western College Hockey Blog

Comment

Working...
                                X