Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The States: Doing Their Own Thing...

Originally posted by Rover View Post
    Keep up that attitude = keep losing to Republicans. You either vote based on who's closest to you on the issues, or you allow the Trump/Ryan/McConnell's of the world to undo everything you stand for.
    I absolutely agree that every person with a brain should have voted for Hillary. But outside the Cafe 90% of people view pols as just another product, and if you put a sh-t product on sale it still won't sell. Politics and religion are the only two consumer products where if the product doesn't sell the salesman blames the customer. That way lies bankruptcy.

If you have that attitude you are a terrible salesperson and should be fired.
    Cornell University
    National Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
      I'm convinced it's hopeless. Democrats have to fall in love. Republicans don't. That's at least a 10 point swing right there very cycle.
      That's not it. The problem is when the GOP nominee does not match the consumer preference then they just out lie. The Dems don't do that -- they insist on being honest with the consumer and then lecture them when the product doesn't sell.

That's because Dems come from academia and Republicans come from marketing. Republicans don't care about lying as long as they move product. Dems care about Truth and think as long as they speak clearly enough the electorate will have an epiphany and join them.

That's the difference. The Dems either have to start picking nominees who can win (like Obama) or they have to learn how to lie without compunction or guilt.
      Cornell University
      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
        I absolutely agree that every person with a brain should have voted for Hillary. But outside the Cafe 90% of people view pols as just another product, and if you put a sh-t product on sale it still won't sell. Politics and religion are the only two consumer products where if the product doesn't sell the salesman blames the customer. That way lies bankruptcy.

If you have that attitude you are a terrible salesperson and should be fired.
        So, you're selling one of two lifesaving products. There's only two realistic alternatives, option 3 is to do nothing, suffer and die. Option 1 doesn't make you feel 100% better, but keeps you alive. Option 2 only benefits 1% of the population but if you're in the 1% its the best one. The other 99% croak.

Kep "I'll take option 3 please".

Its a zero sum game Kep. If people are too stupid to realize that, let them get screwed. Like I said before, for example, all those Gary Johnson supporters are going to love those mandatory minimums for smoking a joint courtesy of Jeff Sessions. If there was only SOME WAY to have prevented him from getting that job....
        Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
          they should put the **** thing in Detroit. It has cheap housing and excess infrastructure

Comment

Yeah, Minnesota is out of the running. Not sure if I wanted it or not. I think everything is just too big nowadays.
            it would be a mixed blessing for sure. Amazon's rise has caused housing costs (and homelessness) to skyrocket in Seattle. Public transportation projects can't keep pace with the rapid growth. I seriously think they should have put it somewhere like Detroit.

Comment

Umm..nobody wants to live in Detroit, which is why its depopulating? Had this discussion on another message board with a guy who was pimping Baltimore like his life depends on it. Sure its a sh ithole, a dump and the murder capital of the country, but housing is cheap, baby! Huh...I wonder why.

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

Comment

So, you're selling one of two lifesaving products. There's only two realistic alternatives, option 3 is to do nothing, suffer and die. Option 1 doesn't make you feel 100% better, but keeps you alive. Option 2 only benefits 1% of the population but if you're in the 1% its the best one. The other 99% croak.

Kep "I'll take option 3 please".

Its a zero sum game Kep. If people are too stupid to realize that, let them get screwed. Like I said before, for example, all those Gary Johnson supporters are going to love those mandatory minimums for smoking a joint courtesy of Jeff Sessions. If there was only SOME WAY to have prevented him from getting that job....
                Our arguments are orthogonal. You would be right objectively if people were fully informed and logical. I am right objectively because people are neither fully informed nor logical.

We cannot change the population our product is marketed to. It is a given. You are saying "my drive was longer and straighter!" and I am saying "yeah, but this is a dog leg par 3."
                Cornell University

Comment

It was because Dems didn't go to the polls. Chump got almost the exact votes as Mittens (within 2K IIRC). Yet he lost by 1% when Mittens lost by almost double digits.

If Dems continue to sit out elections then yes Minny and a lot of other places would go purple/red. Thus far is seems the left has temporarily learned that lesson. Lets see if it continues.
                  Saying Trump got close in Minnesota in 2016, therefore, it could swing in 2020 relies on the logic that Trump is going to somehow gain more votes based on his performance at the job, and do better as the insider when he has to talk about what he's done right, as opposed to as the outsider who can just blather about everything that is wrong. I can see why a Flaggy or Scooby would think that, I can't see why a rational adult would.
                  Originally posted by dicaslover
                  Yep, you got it. I heart Maize.

Originally posted by Kristin
                  Maybe I'm missing something but you just asked me which MSU I go to and then you knew the theme of my homecoming, how do you know one and not the other?

Western College Hockey Blog

Comment

Originally posted by MaizeRage View Post
                    Saying Trump got close in Minnesota in 2016, therefore, it could swing in 2020 relies on the logic that Trump is going to somehow gain more votes based on his performance at the job, and do better as the insider when he has to talk about what he's done right, as opposed to as the outsider who can just blather about everything that is wrong. I can see why a Flaggy or Scooby would think that, I can't see why a rational adult would.
                    Emmm, Hmmm. And no rational adult thought Trump would win. Including his entire campaign staff.
                    **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                    Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

• Re: The States: Doing Their Own Thing...

Our arguments are orthogonal. You would be right objectively if people were fully informed and logical. I am right objectively because people are neither fully informed nor logical.

We cannot change the population our product is marketed to. It is a given. You are saying "my drive was longer and straighter!" and I am saying "yeah, but this is a dog leg par 3."
                      Sure, but I have no desire to save people from themselves as you admirably do. Let people lose their healthcare and pay higher taxes amongst other things. Its about time people pay the price for either sitting out elections, wasting their votes, or voting Republican. That, instead of any fancy or inspirational rhetoric from a Dem candidate, will change the minds of the population we're marketing to. Although, now that's it been discovered that Trump was banging Stormy Daniels, I fear we've lost any chance at getting mookie's vote in 2020.

Comment

Yeah, Minnesota is out of the running. Not sure if I wanted it or not. I think everything is just too big nowadays.
                        We don't pay companies to come here. Never have. Never will. Everything in the state is home grown...and that's just fine.
                        Go Gophers!

Comment

We should put a moratorium on relitigation of the 2016 primary. Hillary lost to the worst candidate ever, clearly that strategy failed and it’s not even worth discussing. If they keep running neoliberal candidates they’re gonna lose, they need someone who has plans to improve the lives of working class citizens, it’s really that simple. Even if one wins because Trump is just that unpopular it’ll just result in a swing the other way when nothing meaningful changes.

Comment

That's not it. The problem is when the GOP nominee does not match the consumer preference then they just out lie. The Dems don't do that -- they insist on being honest with the consumer and then lecture them when the product doesn't sell.
                            Ah yes, the same old trope from the elite part of the left. Keep trotting it out because you believe it, or because it makes you feel better, or makes you more popular at your social gatherings. It's that self-applied brainwashing that let's Republicans roll out literally the worst democratically elected candidate of all time and have him win.

Republican candidates tell everyone exactly how they are going to screw you, then they do it. They're going to cut taxes when most people pay very little in taxes. They are going to close the borders, oppose gay marriage, etc...

People understand that. Your belief that everyone but you is an ignorant rube allows you to just assume Republican voters are being hoodwinked. B.S. They know exactly what they are voting for.

They also know that candidates like HRC and Obama and others tossed out there by the left will tell you they're going to help you, but then once they're given the chance they don't, or the bone they throw the crowd is so insignificant people lose interest. After all, wealthy Democrats in power and the even wealthier Democrats giving them money are just as fond of their wealth as Republicans are.
                            That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
                              Ah yes, the same old trope from the elite part of the left. Keep trotting it out because you believe it, or because it makes you feel better, or makes you more popular at your social gatherings. It's that self-applied brainwashing that let's Republicans roll out literally the worst democratically elected candidate of all time and have him win.

Republican candidates tell everyone exactly how they are going to screw you, then they do it. They're going to cut taxes when most people pay very little in taxes. They are going to close the borders, oppose gay marriage, etc...

People understand that. Your belief that everyone but you is an ignorant rube allows you to just assume Republican voters are being hoodwinked. B.S. They know exactly what they are voting for.

They also know that candidates like HRC and Obama and others tossed out there by the left will tell you they're going to help you, but then once they're given the chance they don't, or the bone they throw the crowd is so insignificant people lose interest. After all, wealthy Democrats in power and the even wealthier Democrats giving them money are just as fond of their wealth as Republicans are.
                              Pretty much. They do lie though. All the time. But, they do deliver on what they're going to do. Anyone who's read the Trump backers letters to the editor or on Facebook or whatever knows that. Even today in the Strib some guy bought the Trump line on the tax cut hook, line, and sinker.
                              **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                              Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

• Originally posted by MaizeRage View Post
                                Saying Trump got close in Minnesota in 2016, therefore, it could swing in 2020 relies on the logic that Trump is going to somehow gain more votes based on his performance at the job, ...
                                He's above 40% approval for the first time since May. And has been trending upward for the last three weeks, despite the circus the last week.
                                “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Working...
                                X