Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The States: Doing Their Own Thing...

Originally posted by French Rage View Post
    It's also cute they add in Contra Costa Country in an attempt to gain people and jobs when they would never actually go for it. I will give them credit, though, that map is better than their original one that also including Santa Clara County, which makes the current map look sane by comparison.
    Yeah. The county voted straight Dem in 2016. Hillary got about 3x the vote of Trump.

Originally posted by joecct View Post
    What value do cities produce outside of moving electrons?

Where are the factories, the farms?
    Not even close to taking that bait.
    Go Gophers!

Comment

Does this make sense? I don't recall tracks from Duluth to Superior.

https://www.phiferforcongress.com/no...lights-express
      Last edited by joecct; 01-17-2018, 01:01 PM.
      CCT '77 & '78
      4 kids
      5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
      1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
      - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
        Not nec debating, just discussing with someone who has different points of view.

Cities pay for rural areas typically. Do cities cost more to govern than rural areas...yeah, you bet. Do they generate income that more than makes up for it? Definitely. So they then send money and development funds off to rural counties. I'm not sure what 'problems' cities could even shift to rural counties.

Frankly the management of the urban economic engine requires deft governing. There are risks when the keys are handed to those who don't have any understanding of how it operates to drive it and/or just want to milk it.

The article I could find was regarding MN...but it illustrates the flow of money in our state. http://www.startribune.com/metro-vs-...aid/289629981/

I think many would be cool with this - I would be. Let rural areas have their key social policies. But it works both ways. For example, make it a serious prison time crime to those who conceal and carry in the seven county metro area. Believe me...cities would allow rural areas quite a bit of autonomy for that alone.
        In NYS, the city using the rest of the state has been quite the issue. One recent example is how tolls from the entire state are subsidizing the construction of the new Tappan Zee bridge; there was a similar protest that occurred in MA when westerners found that they were subsidizing the Big Dig (has that even been paid for yet?). There's also where a portion of CNY is going to be the garbage dump for NYC. Also include the [un]SAFE Act, now that you've brought up gun control, because that's also an issue around here. Let's also include the Adirondack Park Agency, which is a state agency instead of something local. A bunch of NYC hippies preventing a number of counties from coming into the 21st century, all while pushing environmental regulations that make it near impossible to live there because of development prevention.

What it all boils down to is entities that have oversight on too large of a footprint to be effective. I'm glad we can agree on transferring powers to smaller, more localized entities. And you know what? I'd definitely respect the laws of your home, especially if you respected the laws of mine.

Comment

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
          Not nec debating, just discussing with someone who has different points of view.

Cities pay for rural areas typically. Do cities cost more to govern than rural areas...yeah, you bet. Do they generate income that more than makes up for it? Definitely. So they then send money and development funds off to rural counties. I'm not sure what 'problems' cities could even shift to rural counties.

Frankly the management of the urban economic engine requires deft governing. There are risks when the keys are handed to those who don't have any understanding of how it operates to drive it and/or just want to milk it.

The article I could find was regarding MN...but it illustrates the flow of money in our state. http://www.startribune.com/metro-vs-...aid/289629981/
          Than you for posting this, I kinda figured that's how it works but wasn't sure. You always hear morons from the surrounding suburbs/rural areas complain about the light rail and yet their suburb wouldn't even exist if not for the major city that has nice things like public transit and other programs that make it a viable place to live.

Comment

What value do cities produce outside of moving electrons?

Where are the factories, the farms?
            Please tell me you're joking.

Comment

Originally posted by trixR4kids View Post
              Than you for posting this, I kinda figured that's how it works but wasn't sure. You always hear morons from the surrounding suburbs/rural areas complain about the light rail and yet their suburb wouldn't even exist if not for the major city that has nice things like public transit and other programs that make it a viable place to live.
              Suburbs are a different animal in and of itself, because they have a direct relationship to the corresponding nearby city. However, if there are villages, cities, and hamlets that are self-sustaining in and of themselves, then why should they be forced to care about each other? What does Bemidji care about Minneapolis? What does Potsdam care about NYC? Sure, if the local communities want to interact with each other, then it makes some sense to have state oversight. But that doesn't mean some tyrannical despot should be allowed to just take everything over.

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                Suburbs are a different animal in and of itself, because they have a direct relationship to the corresponding nearby city. However, if there are villages, cities, and hamlets that are self-sustaining in and of themselves, then why should they be forced to care about each other? What does Bemidji care about Minneapolis? What does Potsdam care about NYC? Sure, if the local communities want to interact with each other, then it makes some sense to have state oversight. But that doesn't mean some tyrannical despot should be allowed to just take everything over.
                Try reading the article 5 MM just posted

Comment

Read? No way. You got an InfoWars Youtube video? That might be your only shot.
                  **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                  Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Yep. Good articles and probably sums up most states.

Question - does most of the income generated in the Twin Cities come from service related jobs while most of the income from outstate is farming/manufacturing?
                    CCT '77 & '78
                    4 kids

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

Comment

I guarantee almost all money comes from within the 694/494 loop.

This road you’re trying to go down joe is a really stupid road.
                      Code:
                      As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                      College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                      BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                      Originally posted by SanTropez
                      May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                      Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                      I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                      Originally posted by Kepler
                      When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                      He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                        I guarantee almost all money comes from within the 694/494 loop.

This road you’re trying to go down joe is a really stupid road.
                        I confess I like reading novels where the economy,the environment, or something (no alien invasions!) goes belly up.

People who come together to pool resources and efforts will do better. Most city folks after 3 days will riot.
                        CCT '77 & '78
                        4 kids

- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

I confess I like reading novels where the economy,the environment, or something (no alien invasions!) goes belly up.

People who come together to pool resources and efforts will do better. Most city folks after 3 days will riot.
                          Ah, the suburban prepper fantasy: “If everything goes to crap we’ll be ok and you city folk will be screwed!”

Except if you’re going to band together it’s a heck of a lot better to band with thousands than ten. At best.
                          U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
                          Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
                          I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
                          But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
                          Originally posted by Doyle Woody
                          Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
                            Ah, the suburban prepper fantasy: “If everything goes to crap we’ll be ok and you city folk will be screwed!”

Except if you’re going to band together it’s a heck of a lot better to band with thousands than ten. At best.
                            Yeah but it's 10 people with shared heritage. If it does all go to hell, they can re-start with a "pure" crop.

Comment

People who come together to pool resources and efforts will do better.
                              And yet you vote for the exact opposite.
                              Originally posted by dicaslover
                              Yep, you got it. I heart Maize.

Originally posted by Kristin
                              Maybe I'm missing something but you just asked me which MSU I go to and then you knew the theme of my homecoming, how do you know one and not the other?

Western College Hockey Blog

Comment

People who come together to pool resources and efforts will do better.
                                You mean...like a city?

Comment

Working...
                                X