Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The States: Doing Their Own Thing...

Originally posted by MaizeRage View Post
    Leaving aside the fact that you just want to be hysterical about anything, it's fairly simple up there. There are a lot of international business conglomerates that would love to sulfide mine in and around the Boundary Waters/Voyageurs/Superior National Forest, and enough government regulations in place that have kept them from doing so. Slowly, those protections are being taken away by Republicans(HR 3905 passed the House in late November). I can understand why people up there want to bring mining jobs back. I think it's a terrible idea to potentially destroy one of the country's most beautiful natural resources, but I do understand the desire if it means putting food on the table. I don't think they're lost. They're generally decent people that have been fairly liberal in the past, but also want to work.
    Sure. Smart liberal people. Destroy the environment for jobs now and when the mine is done and the jobs leave there's no environment left. Perfectly logical thinking. Did they ever stop and think about all the jobs the oil spill in the gulf destroyed for years?

Yeah, I'm hysterical. It's my uterus. If there are no jobs then create some. If you can't create some then move where the jobs are. Unemployment is extremely low right now. This isn't hard stuff.
    **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
    Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
      I have said it for months, the MNGOP doesnt have anyone that is going to win. Hell there are rumors TPaw might run again that is how bad it is for them. The MNGOP controls the Leg and has killed the surplus and destroyed everything Dayton has done (much like the GOP and Obama) only Minnesotans actually care about this stuff and the major cities are going Democrat and it wont be close.
      It's almost definitely going to be Pawlenty now. He announced he left his DC lobbying job yesterday, and the rest of GOP field has been extremely underwhelming so far. Kurt Daudt may consider it if the DFL nominates somebody way, way left of center, but I don't think that will happen. You're right that governor is very likely to stay blue in Minnesota, and the real challenge will be seeing if they can flip the legislature.

This is hyperlocal, but my state house district of 37B is probably going to be one of the more interesting ones in the state. Incumbent is Nolan West, who got fired from his job as an aide at the state house when it came to light that he posted on Facebook, among other gems, that it was 'Lynching time' when Obama was elected. Despite being fired as a staffer right before the election, the GOP still endorsed him for the house seat and he won over a very nice old lady that was a retired school teacher. Challenger is likely to be Amir Malik, who works as a civil rights attorney for CAIR-MN, and is just a really smart, impressive guy. He's definitely a guy that could move on to bigger office if he got the chance.
      Originally posted by dicaslover
      Yep, you got it. I heart Maize.

Originally posted by Kristin
      Maybe I'm missing something but you just asked me which MSU I go to and then you knew the theme of my homecoming, how do you know one and not the other?

Western College Hockey Blog

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
        Yeah, I'm hysterical. It's my uterus. If there are no jobs then create some. If you can't create some then move where the jobs are. Unemployment is extremely low right now. This isn't hard stuff.
        You whine all the time about how bad things are and how you aren't able to move.

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
        Oh, God, you owe me a Coke. Also, I want some video on this. I need to see this guy.
        https://www.iantoddforcongress.com/

I'm sure he's a nice guy, and he did serve in the Air Force, but his future is not in Washington D.C.
        Originally posted by dicaslover
        Yep, you got it. I heart Maize.

Originally posted by Kristin
        Maybe I'm missing something but you just asked me which MSU I go to and then you knew the theme of my homecoming, how do you know one and not the other?

Western College Hockey Blog

Comment

You whine all the time about how bad things are and how you aren't able to move.
          LOL. If I didn't have a job I'd have to move. I wouldn't have a choice. My inability to move has nothing to do with how bad things are, how bad things are has everything to do with me wishing I could.

Totally different situation. But you get down with your bad self.
          **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

https://www.iantoddforcongress.com/

I'm sure he's a nice guy, and he did serve in the Air Force, but his future is not in Washington D.C.
            My god, he's adorable. I think I'm in love. He worked for Geospatial as an analyst and he didn't wind up as some contractor as-shole for L-3, Mitre, or Booz Allen. That shows superior character.
            Last edited by Kepler; 02-07-2018, 11:19 AM.
            Cornell University
            National Champion 1967, 1970
            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Scooby does have a point, which is if there are no jobs, and there most likely will never be any jobs, its time to go. Too many people seem to want to sit around wallowing in misery and then vote for people like Trump in order to "send a message" that they're not going to take it anymore, when in fact by voting GOP you're signing up for taking it where the sun don't shine from now to eternity. Reviving mining/steel/textiles/whatever would take massive government subsidies and protectionist trade policies, which those very same Goopers would oppose with all their might.
              Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                My god, he's adorable. I think I'm in love. He worked for Geospatial as an analyst and he didn't wind up as some contractor as-shole for L-3, Mitre, or Booz Allen. That shows superior character.
                Confess. You like him because he two cats.
                CCT '77 & '78
                4 kids
                5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                  Confess. You like him because he two cats.
                  That certainly doesn't hurt.
                  Cornell University
                  ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                  Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                    He might be the most Minnesotan candidate in the history of the state. They should have thrown a quip in about the weather. Good lord.
                    Code:
                    As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                    College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                    BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                    Originally posted by SanTropez
                    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                    Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                    I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                    Originally posted by Kepler
                    When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

I would love if this wave crashes over Don Young but I doubt that happens. Still going to get bombarded by ads for our Governor race though.
                      U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
                      Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
                      I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
                      But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
                      Originally posted by Doyle Woody
                      Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
                        I would love if this wave crashes over Don Young but I doubt that happens. Still going to get bombarded by ads for our Governor race though.
                        I would say the absolute outer band is around +8 and even then of course they won't all fall, it will be a probability function that drops as you move out.

And of course it could all fall apart, or Sh-tler could attack North Korea a month before the election and ride Ape War Fever to a Republican landslide because most people have Easy Cheese instead of gray matter.

Or it may change nothing and people are so utterly cut off from reality now that this is the way it's going to be, forever.
                        Cornell University

Comment

Republicans support toll roads. Don't support gas tax or vehicle fees. In other words they're idiots.

http://www.startribune.com/republica...ion/473139653/

MADISON, Wis. — Allowing open-road tolling on Wisconsin's interstates is the only viable way to raise state money to match whatever federal funding could be coming for transportation, Republican state Senate Majority Leader Scott Fitzgerald told county officials Wednesday.

President Donald Trump last month called on Congress to approve a $1.5 trillion federal infrastructure plan that likely would require states to put up some money to receive the federal funds. Trump's plan would rely on state and local governments working with private investors to come up with much of the cash.

Republican legislative leaders have long been supportive of tolling in Wisconsin and they reiterated that again Wednesday. Gov. Scott Walker said Wednesday that while he would be open to tolling if there's a corresponding tax decrease, he's "not in any way suggesting support" for it.

As with increasing the gas tax, Walker said he would only consider raising money from tolling if there is an equal or greater tax reduction elsewhere. And should Congress actually approve an infrastructure funding bill, Walker said he was confident the state could come up with whatever match is necessary, even without tolling or higher gas taxes.

Fitzgerald said Wednesday there was not enough support in the Senate to pass a gas tax increase or vehicle registration fee increases.

"The only way that we are going to be able to do this and the only way that makes sense is open road tolling," Fitzgerald said.
                          Have fun Wisconsin. Minnesota is considering this as well. If it isn't vetoed by our supposed LOCK Democratic Governor I would be very very upset. Raise the gas tax. Fossil Fuel taxes like cigarrette taxes make perfect sense.

Comment

The homophobes never stop.

PIERRE, S.D. — South Dakota lawmakers will consider banning public school teaching on gender identity in elementary and middle schools, a push that critics say targets transgender students in the same way some states limit the positive portrayal of homosexuality in the classroom.

The state would be the first in the nation to block instruction on gender identity or gender expression, said Nathan Smith, public policy director at GLSEN, a national group focused on safe schools for LGBTQ students. But the organization recently counted seven states with restrictions on positively portraying homosexuality in health classes, sometimes called "no-promo-homo" laws. The states are Alabama, Arizona, Louisiana, Mississippi, Oklahoma, South Carolina and Texas.

South Dakota's bill would cover public school students from kindergarten through seventh grade. Education Department spokeswoman Mary Stadick Smith said in an email that the she's not aware of gender identity being taught in schools.

Republican Sen. Phil Jensen, the sponsor, said he has constituents concerned it might become an issue in schools. Jensen said he's worried about teaching children topics that aren't age-appropriate and that students are failing to master the basics.

"I think we need to be focusing on reading, writing and arithmetic," Jensen said.
                            http://www.startribune.com/south-dak...ity/473404783/

Comment

• Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                              Republicans support toll roads. Don't support gas tax or vehicle fees. In other words they're idiots.

http://www.startribune.com/republica...ion/473139653/

Have fun Wisconsin. Minnesota is considering this as well. If it isn't vetoed by our supposed LOCK Democratic Governor I would be very very upset. Raise the gas tax. Fossil Fuel taxes like cigarrette taxes make perfect sense.
                              Interstate and US highways that are funded by tolls LOSE ALL FEDERAL FUNDING.

I repeat: any highway that becomes a toll road is EXEMPTED FROM RECEIVING FEDERAL INFRASTRUCTURE FUNDING FOR THE MAINTENANCE OF THAT STRETCH OF ROAD.

It's a federal law.

So Mr. Scott Fitzgerald is a goddammed farking liar trying to buffalo his constituents.
                              “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post
                                Interstate and US highways that are funded by tolls LOSE ALL FEDERAL FUNDING.

I repeat: any highway that becomes a toll road is EXEMPTED FROM RECEIVING FEDERAL INFRASTRUCTURE FUNDING FOR THE MAINTENANCE OF THAT STRETCH OF ROAD.

It's a federal law.

So Mr. Scott Fitzgerald is a goddammed farking liar trying to buffalo his constituents.
                                Great. Learned something new today. This must be more austerity, privatize everything cause we need to skim the till as much as possible Republican BS.

Comment

Working...
                                X