This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
    It's not our responsibility to set them up for success. They are given a free education. Take advantage of it or don't. Instead we've decided to punish those involved in educating our kids. That's wrong.
    They were good theories and the authors meant well. But they never should have seen the light of day.
    CCT '77 & '78
    4 kids
    5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
    1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

• Re: The States: Doing Their Own Thing...

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
      It's not our responsibility to set them up for success. They are given a free education. Take advantage of it or don't. Instead we've decided to punish those involved in educating our kids. That's wrong.
      Then what the heck is the point of education, if it isn't to set up those being educated for success in the community?

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
        Then what the heck is the point of education, if it isn't to set up those being educated for success in the community?
        Education is just like everything else. Some are going to thrive, some are not. Some are going to take advantage some are not. The fact that you want to put all of humanity in one bucket and base another human's career on how they navigate that one bucket is extremely telling. It also explains why we have the societal problems that we have. The United States is a failed experiment. We are split 50/50. One 50 percent wants freedom in these areas. The other 50% wants freedom in the complete opposite areas. Never shall the two cross. We had 8 years of Obama and his freedoms. Now we have 8 years of Trump and his freedoms. It's not workable.
        **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
        Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

8 years of Trump?

Comment

Originally posted by trixR4kids View Post
            8 years of Trump?
            Whatever. Feels like 20 already.
            **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
            Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

• Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
              For college or trades? We've overemphasized the former to the detriment of the latter.
              CCT '77 & '78
              4 kids

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
              - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                Education is just like everything else. Some are going to thrive, some are not. Some are going to take advantage some are not. The fact that you want to put all of humanity in one bucket and base another human's career on how they navigate that one bucket is extremely telling. It also explains why we have the societal problems that we have. The United States is a failed experiment. We are split 50/50. One 50 percent wants freedom in these areas. The other 50% wants freedom in the complete opposite areas. Never shall the two cross. We had 8 years of Obama and his freedoms. Now we have 8 years of Trump and his freedoms. It's not workable.
                You didn't answer the question. All you mentioned was its existence and some may see benefit from the same. What is its purpose?

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                  That isn't education, it's training.

The point of vocational training is developing marketable skills. That's what plumbing school and clown college and law school are for. All important and honorable.

All those things are the courses that a ship can take. Education is building the ship.
                  Cornell University
                  National Champion 1967, 1970
                  ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                  Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                    For college or trades? We've overemphasized the former to the detriment of the latter.
                    With trades, it's fairly obvious that the purpose of education is, for a certain craft, the concepts that are available and how to apply them in a real scenario to create a beneficial service or product. Is that what education should be across the board? What specific skills should be taught for different things? Which ones are compulsory? How do you quantify that the person knows the skills and will be able to apply them appropriately?

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                      Yes. This happened because it became conflated with American attitudes towards class.
                      Cornell University
                      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Suburban Holocaust denier all but certain to win GOP nomination for House seat
                        Arthur Jones -- an outspoken Holocaust denier, activist anti-Semite and white supremacist -- is poised to become the Republican nominee for an Illinois congressional seat representing parts of Chicago and nearby suburbs.

"Well first of all, I'm running for Congress not the chancellor of Germany. All right. To me the Holocaust is what I said it is: It's an international extortion racket," Jones told the Chicago Sun-Times.
                        Ugh. If I lived in that district and had some time I'd register as a Republican just to get on the primary to make sure he loses. I wouldn't even give a sh** about running a campaign. Just enough to make sure people like this keep losing.
                        “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post
                          Suburban Holocaust denier all but certain to win GOP nomination for House seat

Ugh. If I lived in that district and had some time I'd register as a Republican just to get on the primary to make sure he loses. I wouldn't even give a sh** about running a campaign. Just enough to make sure people like this keep losing.
                          I hate Illinois Nazis.
                          Cornell University

Comment

Even geese can be dreamers

https://wtop.com/animals-pets/2018/0...pooping-geese/
                            CCT '77 & '78
                            4 kids

- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

...but, of course.

Comment

• Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                                ...but, of course.

Roosevelt at least tried packing the court.

You lost. Grow a set and do better next time.
                                CCT '77 & '78
                                4 kids

- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Working...
                                X