Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The States: Doing Their Own Thing...

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
    How do you know what "my best interest" is?
    I don't, but I'll tell you anyway. And if you're incompetent, you don't get to stop me.

Comment

Originally posted by bronconick View Post
      I thought the time flipping was more about the sky being lighter for children getting to school.
      I thought it was BECAUSE HARVEST or something.
      Cornell University
      National Champion 1967, 1970
      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

I thought it was BECAUSE HARVEST or something.
        That was the original reason 100 years ago, but I thought the kids were the current excuse/reason
        "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

Comment

• Originally posted by bronconick View Post
          That was the original reason 100 years ago, but I thought the kids were the current excuse/reason
          Then stop schools from starting at 7am! Instead of starting later, the legislature's fool with Mother Nature.

And it's not polite to fool with Mother Nature.
          CCT '77 & '78
          4 kids
          5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
          1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
          - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

The South was right. We're two different countries. Time to say goodbye.
            A very smart Indian friend that I mentioned this concept to strongly feels that it would be a serious mistake for the US to break into red and blue states.

His general premise was that India had had the same issues for a century, but at all costs fought off all considerations and to its benefit. Two reasons separation would be a mistake for the US - 1) He feels quite strongly that the conflict ultimately helps its vitality (IMO dubious) and 2) the two remaining US 'sub countries' would go into serious decline, and no longer be superpowers with detrimental unforeseen consequences to it and other countries (IMO probable).

I think I'd pay the price...but its still a good point.
            Go Gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
              Then stop schools from starting at 7am! Instead of starting later, the legislature's fool with Mother Nature.

And it's not polite to fool with Mother Nature.
              Too many two-income households need daycare beginning at 6a.

Comment

It didn't start in the US until World War I as a way to conserve coal. And was summarily stopped after the one summer of use. It was once again used during World War II (And called War Time not Saving Time).

Ben Franklin was actually being a smarta** and didn't propose Daylight Saving. And farmers don't really care one way or another (but some linked studies show they prefer the earlier sunrise/sunset of Standard Time).

It's actually the Department of Transportation and the Uniform Time Act of 1966 that makes us change time. Arizona and Hawaii opted out of the Uniform Time Act.

An expansion of the DST period was sponsored in the '80s by Clorox and 7-Eleven to promote outdoor grilling and such.
                “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Sounds like professor Richard Painter is going to run for franken’s seat. I’ve liked Painter for a while. Could be an interesting curveball to this race.
                  Code:
                  As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                  College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                  BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                  Originally posted by SanTropez
                  May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                  Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                  I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                  Originally posted by Kepler
                  When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                  He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                    Sounds like professor Richard Painter is going to run for franken’s seat. I’ve liked Painter for a while. Could be an interesting curveball to this race.
                    I like him too but what party did he choose? Is he staying Republican? Going independent?
                    **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                    Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

You do know he's a conservative. He was a lawyer for W and although a critic of Trump, I wouldn't be surprised if he was just playing to the crowd to get elected in liberal Minnesota. I consider this bad news.

Painter, a law professor at the University of Minnesota, went on to say he isn't sure if he'll run as a Republican. He said there are three options -- running as a Democrat, Republican or independent -- but that he needs to figure out which would best suit his candidacy. "I need to think about whether there's a place for me" in today's Republican Party, he said. "I've been involved in the Republican Party for many years. If the Republican Party were the way it was in college or in the 1980s, that's the route I'd probably choose. We've had a very dramatic shift to the right, particularly on social issues. I'm not sure that path will be viable, but we'll find out."

If he runs as a Republican, he could well beat Smith - I consider this bad. If he runs as a Democrat, he could well beat Smith...but he could also switch parties and go GOP after being elected. 30 years ago, I fully support him as MN Republicans were moderates. Today, I'm not sure why we should trust him.
                      Go Gophers!

Comment

Yes, because I’m not a moron. He’s also a fairly liberal guy when it comes to social issues.

The way I see it, if he runs against a Democrat we can’t really lose. He doesn’t support the ultra right wing position of controlling women’s vaginas. He hates trump and that wing of the party. He wants campaign finance reform and won’t accept PAC money. He doesn’t like the NRA.

I like him.

Would I vote for him over a Democrat? Probably not this cycle. But if he wins, I wouldn’t be upset. It’s a two-year commitment. Not six.
                        Last edited by dxmnkd316; 03-11-2018, 12:01 PM.
                        Code:
                        May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                        He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

It's easy to speak out when you aren't inside. Until I see he won't vote with Trump when the chips are down he gets no vote from me.
                          "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                          -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                          -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                          -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

John kasich also disagrees with trump and he’s still a full on nut job.
                            I have no reason to dislike Tina smith right now, hope she runs again.
                            I like painter on the talk show circuit but not ready to want him in office yet.

Comment

Yes, because I’m not a moron. He’s also a fairly liberal guy when it comes to social issues.

The way I see it, if he runs against a Democrat we can’t really lose. He doesn’t support the ultra right wing position of controlling women’s vaginas. He hates trump and that wing of the party. He wants campaign finance reform and won’t accept PAC money. He doesn’t like the NRA.

I like him.

Would I vote for him over a Democrat? Probably not this cycle. But if he wins, I wouldn’t be upset. It’s a two-year commitment. Not six.
                              Respect the opinion. Here's a bit more to chew on.

I was fairly suspicious of Painter when he came out against Walz saying that he wasn't liberal enough (remember per wiki: "Painter is a longtime Republican"). The thing is Walz is going to be the Dem nomination. I don't think any other liberal Dems would be attacking a Dem front runner even if 'they weren't left enough'. I just don't trust that move which seems very strange and quite possibly devious.

Painter knows Minnesota. Being tied to W or Trump is death. Of course, he's going to rush to the center. I predict knowing that Painter can't get the Dem nomination (Smith is a sitting senator and the establishment wouldn't trust him anyways)...Painter runs as GOP. He positions the run as 'hey everybody, I'm really moderate' which is the only way you win Minnesota. He gets elected and then throws in with the GOP hardcore. Being the sitting senator, he's going to be hard to dislodge.

Erik 'I'm a moderate' Paulsen ran in Minnesota's 3rd. As soon as he got elected, he moved straight to the right. In fact, Paulsen is the second most disconnected with his constituancy out of 435 reps. Per FiveThirtyEight, Paulsen votes with Trump nearly every time...but western Hennepin (3rd District) I think is D+8% leaving a massive gap.

Edit: took a closer look at his Tweets - there's a lot I agree with. I think this sums it up well: "I am a real republican (small r). At the rate we are going republican government could be lost. Campaign money, oligarchy and kleptocracy cannot be allowed to steal our republic." In today's climate, I still wouldn't vote for him.
                              Last edited by 5mn_Major; 03-11-2018, 05:42 PM.
                              Go Gophers!

Comment

Like I said, if he were running as a Republican, I would still vote DFL. If he somehow won the DFL nod, I’d vote for him because he’ll be further left than the Republican.

And don’t forget, this is a two-year seat. It’s the equivalent of a House rep.
                                Code:

Comment

Working...
                                X