Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The States: Doing Their Own Thing...

Russia Today, haha. You poor child.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
      Russia Today, haha. You poor child.
      If you decided to actually read it instead of sticking to your troll talking points, you might have found the official declaration. https://img1.wsimg.com/blobby/go/720...t5r6_88440.pdf

Comment

I can't get enough of the Party of Family Values. If Pence looks at Trump cross-eyed and gets dropped from the ticket, this "rising star" should be a shoo-in to replace him.

http://www.kansascity.com/news/polit...194918889.html
        Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

But were they Confederate llamas??

@nbcwashington: "It's very distressing." Someone beheaded three llama statues outside a Virginia school. http://nbc4dc.com/Vjos8ar
          CCT '77 & '78
          4 kids
          5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
          1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
          - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
            First, half of the CA counties leaving CA will never happen. Second, SD is liberal by US standards, has faar more in common with other coastal CA than with small town rural CA, and would vote in a heartbeat to stay. Third, urban CA probably should vote to leave its 50% of rural counterparts not the other way around...rural CA like the same type of counties as elsewhere are really money pits. And while I have no problem with this, its just tiresome to hear them complain as much as they do.
            Go Gophers!

Comment

Unfortunately for the New CA, its nearly impossible to form a new state when trying to take land from an existing one.

Requires a lot of lawmakers voting for you.
              PSNetwork / XBOX GamerTag: xJeris
              Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
              NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Comment

Originally posted by JF_Gophers View Post
                Unfortunately for the New CA, its nearly impossible to form a new state when trying to take land from an existing one.

Requires a lot of lawmakers voting for you.
                Agreed.

The New CA model relies on duping and then taking advantage of San Diego. Rural counties need to have San Diego to give them enough bodies to get them real representation. But then coupled with the conservatives that do live in SD, conservatives would outweigh the current liberal majority there - leaving it with conservative leadership. To make matters worse for the city...San Diego as with most major cities would earn the tax revenue that is needed to keep the rural counties afloat. A burden which would be placed much more squarely on SD rather than all the coastal cities today. Its really a version of political and economic gerrymandering.

Regardless...it remains in the 'never happenin' bucket.
                Go Gophers!

Comment

Unfortunately for you both. You’re debating a mentally deficient troll.
                  Code:
                  As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                  College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                  BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                  Originally posted by SanTropez
                  May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                  Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                  I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                  Originally posted by Kepler
                  When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                  He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
                    Agreed.

The New CA model relies on duping and then taking advantage of San Diego. Rural counties need to have San Diego to give them enough bodies to get them real representation. But then coupled with the conservatives that do live in SD, conservatives would outweigh the current liberal majority there - leaving it with conservative leadership. To make matters worse for the city...San Diego as with most major cities would earn the tax revenue that is needed to keep the rural counties afloat. A burden which would be placed much more squarely on SD rather than all the coastal cities today. Its really a version of political and economic gerrymandering.

Living in an area that has a similar issue, the biggest problem that comes is that there are a lot of spending policies that the large cities want to spend on that aren't really a problem in the other parts of the state. Sure, the areas may have ways they think they can make up for it, including "shifting the problems" to the rural counties, but what it really does is creates unnecessary administrative expenses for the other counties. The rural counties are confident that they can be more resourceful without being obligated to fulfill the needs of the cities.

That being said, it is difficult to become a new state. That's why there was a push for "autonomous regions" in New York State as a sort of a way around it: They're still considered one state, but effectively have two separate governments, would likely each have one senator, and would split electoral votes. It's certainly possible that California could explore that route. I don't know how their Constitution allows for handling that.

Comment

The arrogance of rural communities that they think they can make it without cities is ridiculous. Not only that but many of them rely on labor that is against the law. Arrogant and short sighted, all of them.
                      **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                      Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                        The arrogance of rural communities that they think they can make it without cities is ridiculous. Not only that but many of them rely on labor that is against the law. Arrogant and short sighted, all of them.
                        I lived in the middle of nowhere for 18 years. We lived just fine. We stayed within our means. We had our ways to solve problems. We were happy.

Comment

Not nec debating, just discussing with someone who has different points of view.

Living in an area that has a similar issue, the biggest problem that comes is that there are a lot of spending policies that the large cities want to spend on that aren't really a problem in the other parts of the state. Sure, the areas may have ways they think they can make up for it, including "shifting the problems" to the rural counties, but what it really does is creates unnecessary administrative expenses for the other counties
                          Cities pay for rural areas typically. Do cities cost more to govern than rural areas...yeah, you bet. Do they generate income that more than makes up for it? Definitely. So they then send money and development funds off to rural counties. I'm not sure what 'problems' cities could even shift to rural counties.

Frankly the management of the urban economic engine requires deft governing. There are risks when the keys are handed to those who don't have any understanding of how it operates to drive it and/or just want to milk it.

The article I could find was regarding MN...but it illustrates the flow of money in our state. http://www.startribune.com/metro-vs-...aid/289629981/

That's why there was a push for "autonomous regions" in New York State as a sort of a way around it: They're still considered one state, but effectively have two separate governments, would likely each have one senator, and would split electoral votes.
                          I think many would be cool with this - I would be. Let rural areas have their key social policies. But it works both ways. For example, make it a serious prison time crime to those who conceal and carry in the seven county metro area. Believe me...cities would allow rural areas quite a bit of autonomy for that alone.
                          Go Gophers!

Comment

What value do cities produce outside of moving electrons?

Where are the factories, the farms?
                            CCT '77 & '78
                            4 kids

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                            - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

Comment

I lived in the middle of nowhere for 18 years. We lived just fine. We stayed within our means. We had our ways to solve problems. We were happy.
                              Troy is not in the middle of nowhere. Potsdam, on the other hand, is.
                              CCT '77 & '78
                              4 kids

- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
                                Agreed.

It's also cute they add in Contra Costa Country in an attempt to gain people and jobs when they would never actually go for it. I will give them credit, though, that map is better than their original one that also including Santa Clara County, which makes the current map look sane by comparison.

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
                                iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
                                gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
                                Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
                                Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
                                TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
                                DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

Comment

Working...
                                X