Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The States: Doing Their Own Thing...

Originally posted by joecct View Post
    Way to be simplistic. Maybe if the Leg had done it right the first time (or the second) you would have a point.

And maybe if the Leg didnt threaten to impeach any judge who doesnt bow to them you would have a point.

BTW you dont have a point.

[insert joe pretending this about his politics and him going up on a cross about it]
    "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
    -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
    -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
    -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Obviously, this isn't how it's supposed to work. But, it was the legislature that brought this on, not the courts. How long did they think they could **** on democratic values?

Comment

• Originally posted by GrinCDXX View Post
        Obviously, this isn't how it's supposed to work. But, it was the legislature that brought this on, not the courts. How long did they think they could **** on democratic values?
        Remember, the courts are activist because they did something he didn't like.
        Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
        "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
        Patreon for exclusive writing content
        Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

Do you think the Court exceeded its authority in Brown v. Board of Education? Marbury v. Madison?

Should the California legislature be able to pass a law prohibiting people from owning guns?

Is it the process you disagree with or the result?

Comment

• Originally posted by burd View Post
            Do you think the Court exceeded its authority in Brown v. Board of Education? Marbury v. Madison?

Should the California legislature be able to pass a law prohibiting people from owning guns?

Is it the process you disagree with or the result?
            Process. Legislative districts should have reasonably straight borders. Sure you try to favor your own party, but don't go over the top. Lately, legislatures have been setting congressional and state districts to eliminate all opposition.

Courts said fix it and imposed their own solution. I would rather the legislature had realized that the court order was the equivalent of Luca Brasi holding a gun to their heads and assuring them that either new districts would be drawn or their jobs would be forfeit.

It appears they didn't and now they're ***.

Individually GOP lawmakers are smart. However, when they get together in a closed room they get a terminal case of the stupids.

When Dems get in a closed room they get a terminal case of the arrogance.
            CCT '77 & '78
            4 kids
            5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
            1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
            - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

• Originally posted by joecct View Post
              Process. Legislative districts should have reasonably straight borders. Sure you try to favor your own party, but don't go over the top. Lately, legislatures have been setting congressional and state districts to eliminate all opposition.

Courts said fix it and imposed their own solution. I would rather the legislature had realized that the court order was the equivalent of Luca Brasi holding a gun to their heads and assuring them that either new districts would be drawn or their jobs would be forfeit.

It appears they didn't and now they're ***.

Individually GOP lawmakers are smart. However, when they get together in a closed room they get a terminal case of the stupids.

When Dems get in a closed room they get a terminal case of the arrogance.
              Every time I am forced to interact with a legislator, former legislator, lobbyist, or wannabe legislator, I lose faith in the system. With very rare exceptions, they're all idiots that are the equivalent of used car salesmen with connections.

There are bad judges out there, but not nearly as many as there are legislators.

Comment

Look past the headline and read the map. Those districts are practically the cleanest and squarest you're going to get in 2018.

Comment

• Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                  Look past the headline and read the map. Those districts are practically the cleanest and squarest you're going to get in 2018.
                  I know. It appears to be a map any citizen should be proud of. I'm upset it took the courts to do it rather than the legislature.
                  CCT '77 & '78
                  4 kids

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                  - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

Comment

I know. It appears to be a map any citizen should be proud of. I'm upset it took the courts to do it rather than the legislature.
                    Then you should take it up with the PA Republican legislators that would rather impeach the judges, than own up to the gerrymandering and do their jobs.

Comment

A fair point. Aside from a SCOTUS ruling though, and I'm skeptical of that unless Kennedy wants to add "the guy who brought down gerrymandering" to his list of consequential swing vote decisions, I don't see a remedy. Challenging the lines according to state law is an interesting tactic however. Previously it was left to the voters to enact a citizens initiative to clean up redistricting (FL voters for example passed a law and the state now has 14 R leaning and 13 D leaning districts although 2 Goopers hold Hillary won districts. Believe the courts had to write those maps too). By my count the most egregious gerrymanders are NC, OH, WI, MI, IL and MD with 4 GOP related and 2 for the Dems. Wondering if challenges on state and not federal grounds will now pop up in those places.
                      Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

• Originally posted by Rover View Post
                        A fair point. Aside from a SCOTUS ruling though, and I'm skeptical of that unless Kennedy wants to add "the guy who brought down gerrymandering" to his list of consequential swing vote decisions, I don't see a remedy. Challenging the lines according to state law is an interesting tactic however. Previously it was left to the voters to enact a citizens initiative to clean up redistricting (FL voters for example passed a law and the state now has 14 R leaning and 13 D leaning districts although 2 Goopers hold Hillary won districts. Believe the courts had to write those maps too). By my count the most egregious gerrymanders are NC, OH, WI, MI, IL and MD with 4 GOP related and 2 for the Dems. Wondering if challenges on state and not federal grounds will now pop up in those places.
                        If left locally in MD, nothing will change. All the districts are drawn by a veto proof D controlled legislature and the courts lean D. In the gerrymander suit, the courts recognized the partisan districts but deferred to the legislature.

It sounds like I'm contradicting myself, doesn't it? I abhor application of raw naked political power to achieve a result. Politics was corrupt, now it is worse.
                        CCT '77 & '78
                        4 kids

- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

If left locally in MD, nothing will change. All the districts are drawn by a veto proof D controlled legislature and the courts lean D. In the gerrymander suit, the courts recognized the partisan districts but deferred to the legislature.

It sounds like I'm contradicting myself, doesn't it? I abhor application of raw naked political power to achieve a result. Politics was corrupt, now it is worse.
                          Its definitely not going to work everywhere. I believe the WI supreme court is GOP dominated. Think Dems took over one vote majority in NC recently. No idea about the others although one would assume the IL and MD lean left while OH leans right. Don't know about MI.

I'm more of an advocate of citizens ballot initiatives wherever available. Either vote to put redistricting in the hands of an independent commission or set rules about no incumbent protection and limiting the splitting of cities/counties. That coupled with anti-discrimination laws on a federal level forces better districts.
                          Last edited by Rover; 02-20-2018, 09:01 AM.
                          Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

Originally posted by Rover View Post
                            Its definitely not going to work everywhere. I believe the WI supreme court is GOP dominated. Think Dems took over one vote majority in NC recently. No idea about the others although one would assume the IL and MD lean left while OH leans right. Don't know about MI.

I'm more of an advocate of citizens ballot initiatives wherever available. Either vote to put redistricting in the hands of an independent commission or set rules about no incumbent protection and limiting the splitting of cities/counties. That coupled with anti-discrimination laws on a federal level forces better districts.
                            MI is solid right in the Senate, and leans right in the House. Been that way for years, and I think our court also skews right.

Comment

PA is truly 50-50, but the Dems made an effort to elect judges when they couldn't make a dent in the gerrymander.

Seems to have worked, huh?
                              Cornell '82

"The first time I went to a Cornell game, I was in awe. I'm a big believer that sports fans should get out and see everything -- the Indy 500, the Super Bowl, the Kentucky Derby. I've seen all that, and there's nothing like Lynah Rink." - Carl McKee, father of Cornell Goalie, David McKee

Comment

Seventy one Florida Representitives just voted NO to bringing discussion of a bill to ban assault rifles and large capacity magazines to the house floor.

https://amp.local10.com/news/parklan...udents-present

Students from Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School were present in the gallery to witness their lawmakers inaction.
                                “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Working...
                                X