Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The States: Doing Their Own Thing...

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
    You know that the DFL is a Minnesota only party right? You know we are talking about a STATE election not a general right? You know the difference right?
    Of course I know that it's a state election lmao.

Minnesota /= the United States Electorate. Maybe you should read all the posts on a subject before you comment on it. your lack of knowledge of politics is staggering.
    What your posts and Rover's? Yeah you guys had such great instincts during the 2016 election I think I'll listen to your expertise

Would you like a list of examples of times where fear trumped truth?
    Yeah sure, show me times where fear trumped the issues while not ignoring all other context. I'm not saying you're wrong on that because fear is a powerful motivator, for the right that's definitely true.

And of course MN doesn't have the same voters as Alabama and WI and Michigan but people more or less want the same thing, a comfortable wage, job security, a means to support a family, the next generation to have a future and also live comfortably, and not to get destroyed by healthcare costs. Not all that shocking that you ignored every single point I made in the first post but you love to troll, I get it.
    Last edited by trixR4kids; 02-13-2018, 12:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by trixR4kids View Post

What your posts and Rover's? Yeah you guys had such great instincts during the 2016 election I think I'll listen to your expertise

Yeah sure, show me times where fear trumped the issues while not ignoring all other context. I'm not saying you're wrong on that because fear is a powerful motivator, for the right that's definitely true.
      I don't think fear motivates the left. I've never seen any evidence that it does.
      **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
      Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

And that is fine but can he put out a platform first before you start tilting at windmills? He was on MSNBC like 3 days ago ripping Trump to high heaven I just dont see him trying to court those people...especially since he doesnt have to.

Hillary wanted to make history and while shooting the moon crapped the bed. Walz doesnt need any of that and all he needs is one person on his staff who understands basic game theory to figure that out. He needs to placate the Cities if he does that then having the Southern part of the state on his side guarantees victory even if Duluth flips. (nope) This is a match game in golf and he is 4 up as they make the turn. (he is following a very popular Dem Governor) He needs to not make a stupid mistake and he will be fine. (not a lock mind you) Right now the best the GOP has is TPaw and I dont see the Twin Cities making that mistake again because he ****ed near bankrupted us and his policies wont change. Jeff Johnson gives no one the vapors either. (the MNGOP isnt as loyal as the National GOP and doesnt have the numbers here anyway)

Walz doesnt need to be Obama and try and reach across the aisle as Governor. He needs to be Dayton and just do what he thinks is right. Dayton doesnt care if people whine and cry because his decisions make Minnesota a better place and the people recognize that. (if he ran again it wouldnt be close) If Walz acts the same way he has little issue.
        "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
        -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
        -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
        -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
          And that is fine but can he put out a platform first before you start tilting at windmills? He was on MSNBC like 3 days ago ripping Trump to high heaven I just dont see him trying to court those people...especially since he doesnt have to.

Hillary wanted to make history and while shooting the moon crapped the bed. Walz doesnt need any of that and all he needs is one person on his staff who understands basic game theory to figure that out. He needs to placate the Cities if he does that then having the Southern part of the state on his side guarantees victory even if Duluth flips. (nope) This is a match game in golf and he is 4 up as they make the turn. (he is following a very popular Dem Governor) He needs to not make a stupid mistake and he will be fine. (not a lock mind you) Right now the best the GOP has is TPaw and I dont see the Twin Cities making that mistake again because he ****ed near bankrupted us and his policies wont change. Jeff Johnson gives no one the vapors either. (the MNGOP isnt as loyal as the National GOP and doesnt have the numbers here anyway)

Walz doesnt need to be Obama and try and reach across the aisle as Governor. He needs to be Dayton and just do what he thinks is right. Dayton doesnt care if people whine and cry because his decisions make Minnesota a better place and the people recognize that. (if he ran again it wouldnt be close) If Walz acts the same way he has little issue.
          Again, he doesn't have to convince me. I'm just giving my opinion which is worth about 3 cents give or take a dollar.
          **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
          Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Do you? Because you cited three candidates that all won the state of Minnesota, and two of the three would have won their election if it was decided by popular vote like a state election is.
            Originally posted by dicaslover
            Yep, you got it. I heart Maize.

Originally posted by Kristin
            Maybe I'm missing something but you just asked me which MSU I go to and then you knew the theme of my homecoming, how do you know one and not the other?

Western College Hockey Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
              Is there enough MN/WI animosity that you could just run an ad saying "don't let MN become WI"?
              Not animosity. Sanity.

Comment

Oh ok here is one...the Hollywood Blacklist and the Red Scare. Do some research into that. There was no facts to back up half of it but people lost their livelihoods over it. It didnt matter what the truth was people feared Communism so being accused of being a Communist was tantamount to treason and you were screwed. Even today being called a "Commie" is considered a slur...even though it is perfectly legal to be one.

How about anything Muslim related since 9/11? How about the election of Trump (Hillary for as awful as she was at least put the truth out there...Trump bred fear and won)

Look at how often fear has been used to deny people rights for centuries. Fear was used to deny Women equal rights, Black people any rights, kept the natives of the Southwestern US in slavehood until the 1870s and has been used to keep people in line with the US Government even today. Its a joke now but remember anyone against the Iraq War was often asked "Why do you hate America?".

Fear is what drives and motivates people. There always needs to be a big bad, a boogeyman that is willing to kill/destroy you. It is one of the basest truths of humanity going back to neanderthal man. (fight or flight) Fear often forces us to be better, but it can have the equally negative effect of forcing our submission. The GOP (and the Fascists) do it the negative way..."Walz or Wisconsin" is the more positive way.

The thing is in local politics you can play a different game. The less people involved the easier it is to parse them out and reach them. In the general you cant pull a "Do you want to be Minnesota or Wisconsin" for a bevy of reasons. The narrative is too narrow. But in a Gubernatorial Election you can play that up to great effect because it is a simple "either or" argument. Two states, fairly similar in population and voting style (up to a certain point) that went two different ways. One went the choice of the Right party and went downhill immediately and the other stayed Left and thrived. Adding more to it the second state had gone Right previously and they too crapped the bed. Simple question, which do you want to be? In a more local election you can use basic logic to win.

Now is it guaranteed to work? No cause people make stupid choices all the time. But in comparison to how the DFL usually runs these things it is leaps and bounds better. Walz is not the guy I want saying it, but he is just as good a candidate to do it as the guy I support and it should work just as well. If the people vote for "Wisconsin" then it isnt on the DFL, it is on the people.
                "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by MaizeRage View Post
                  Do you? Because you cited three candidates that all won the state of Minnesota, and two of the three would have won their election if it was decided by popular vote like a state election is.
                  Well trix never was one for facts
                  -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                    Again, he doesn't have to convince me. I'm just giving my opinion which is worth about 3 cents give or take a dollar.
                    Fair enough
                    -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

"white people have more in common with colored people than with rich people"
                      a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by MaizeRage View Post
                        Well ok, I get that this state hasn't gone for a Republican in a presidential election since 1976 and yes the rules are different. My point is that when Trump lost by a much narrower margin than expected and the other parts of the state govt. are controlled by Republicans, then maybe having a strategy of Dayton 2.0 is a bit risky especially if you're mostly going to run a campaign of "the other guy is worse, he wants to run things like WI".

Obviously there's plenty of time until the election and we haven't seen exactly what his platform/strategy is but the early indications don't give me a ton of optimism. If I had to guess he can probably win on that strategy due to how unpopular Trump is alone and the fear of a Republican winning but it doesn't have me all that optimistic either.

Comment

BTW a bit on Walz:

"Upon his swearing in, Walz became the highest-ranking retired enlisted soldier ever to serve in Congress,[13] as well as only the fourth Democrat/DFLer to represent the 1st District. The others were Thomas Wilson (1887–89), William Harries (1891–93), and Tim Penny (1983–95).

Walz serves on the House Agriculture Committee,[14] Committee on Veterans' Affairs, and the Armed Services Committee. Along with fellow Minnesota Democrat Keith Ellison, Walz opposed President Bush's plan to increase troop levels in Iraq.[15] In his first week as a legislator, Walz cosponsored a bill to raise the minimum wage, voted for stem cell research, voted to allow Medicare to negotiate pharmaceutical prices, and voiced support for pay-as-you-go budget rules, requiring that new spending or tax changes not add to the federal deficit.[16]

Representing a district that has traditionally voted Republican, Walz has cast votes ranging from moderate to liberal.[17] He voted against the act to Prohibit Federally Funded Abortion Services,[18] and voted to advance the Affordable Care Act out of the House.[19] He has also voted to continue funding for military operations in Iraq and Afghanistan,[20] and against the 2008 TARP bill, which purchased troubled assets from financial institutions.[21]

Walz received a 100% rating from Planned Parenthood in 2012, from the ACLU in 2011, from the American Immigration Lawyers Association in 2009–10, from the AFL-CIO in 2010, from the Teamsters in 2009–10, and from NOW in 2007. In recent years he has received single-digit ratings from the National Taxpayers' Union, Citizens against Government Waste, Americans for Tax Reform, and Freedom Works. The US Chamber of Commerce gave him a 25% rating in 2010.[22] Walz was ranked the 7th most bipartisan member of the House during the 114th Congress (and the most bipartisan member from Minnesota) in the Bipartisan Index created by The Lugar Center and the McCourt School of Public Policy that ranks members of Congress by measuring how often their bills attract co-sponsors from the opposite party and how often they co-sponsor bills by members of the opposite party.[23]"

credit: Wikipedia
                          -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
                            "white people have more in common with colored people than with rich people"
                            Cornell University
                            National Champion 1967, 1970
                            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                              This is the thing we have to start with. Because liberals come from an academic / intellectual tradition
                              This is hogwash. Liberals don’t necessarily come from an academic or intellectual tradition. The DFL party in Minnesota comes from, literally, Democrats, farmers, and laborers.
                              Code:
                              As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                              College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                              BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                              Originally posted by SanTropez
                              May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                              Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                              I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                              Originally posted by Kepler
                              When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                              He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

• Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                                This is hogwash. Liberals don’t necessarily come from an academic or intellectual tradition. The DFL party in Minnesota comes from, literally, Democrats, farmers, and laborers.
                                What kep was trying to say was the smart ones do

Then the commoners who listen to the smart ones fill those other buckets
                                a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Working...
                                X