Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The States: Doing Their Own Thing...

"It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
    -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
    -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
    -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post

****ing republicans. go away.
      **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
      Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

"It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
        -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
        -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
        -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

jfc^10
          **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
            jfc^10
            Can you think of any reason a sane person would want to live in Kansas? Because I sure can't.

Comment

I am so angry about this right now I could scream.

Comment

Pro-life people don't give a **** about babies.

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
                iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
                gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
                Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
                Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
                TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
                DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

Comment

I am so angry about this right now I could scream.
                  Why?

Honestly when I hear that any state has a $1.4 billion surplus of "revenue" over taxes, I want to scream. Government isn't a business where the goal is maximize revenue. Our target should be that revenue meets, or maybe just slightly exceeds, our expenditures.

The way the governor and legislature should operate is figure how much money is an appropriate amount to spend in the state each year, through compromise generally, then figure out how that money will be raised through the combination of taxes/fees, etc..., used to generate revenue for the state.

If we only did budgets and had the legislature meet every 10 years or so, then yes having some money in the bank or having a surplus to cover us for unexpected economic downturns over the next ten years would be nice and even appropriate. But we don't have that. If the economy goes in the tank, we don't need $1.4 billion sitting in the bank. The legislature can adjust it's taxes or spending accordingly.

The problem with the state having $1.4 billion sitting around is the same problem with me having $1.4 billion sitting around. Pretty good chance I'm going to spend large chunks of it on stuff I probably didn't need in the first place. And with a state, most expenditures are not one time expenses. Once you start spending money on a program, pretty good chance that program is with you for the long haul.
                  That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
                    Why?

Honestly when I hear that any state has a $1.4 billion surplus of "revenue" over taxes, I want to scream. Government isn't a business where the goal is maximize revenue. Our target should be that revenue meets, or maybe just slightly exceeds, our expenditures.

The way the governor and legislature should operate is figure how much money is an appropriate amount to spend in the state each year, through compromise generally, then figure out how that money will be raised through the combination of taxes/fees, etc..., used to generate revenue for the state.

If we only did budgets and had the legislature meet every 10 years or so, then yes having some money in the bank or having a surplus to cover us for unexpected economic downturns over the next ten years would be nice and even appropriate. But we don't have that. If the economy goes in the tank, we don't need $1.4 billion sitting in the bank. The legislature can adjust it's taxes or spending accordingly.

The problem with the state having $1.4 billion sitting around is the same problem with me having $1.4 billion sitting around. Pretty good chance I'm going to spend large chunks of it on stuff I probably didn't need in the first place. And with a state, most expenditures are not one time expenses. Once you start spending money on a program, pretty good chance that program is with you for the long haul.
                    Why? The last time they did this they destroyed the credit rating of the state.

Why do they need a surplus? Common Sense. They are the largest business in the state and they need that surplus to assure that if there is an economic recession they are able to stay operational. The number one thing you need during an economic recession is money. If they drain the rainy day fund, and there is a recession they will not have the funds they need for a stimulus.

Basic common sense.

I love it when my state has money laying around. That's a good thing. I don't want to live in ****ing Kansas.

Comment

• Originally posted by dave122793 View Post
                      Can you think of any reason a sane person would want to live in Kansas? Because I sure can't.
                      I can't think of a reason to even set foot in Kansas.
                      Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
                      "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
                      Patreon for exclusive writing content
                      Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
                        Why?

The point of a surplus is to keep the coffers filled for when things are needed or go bad. This isnt some thought experiment where everything happens in a vacuum year to year things change and you might need money for things that come up out of the blue. (as they often do) Plus when there is a surplus it usually means things are going quite well economically speaking. (and it makes our credit pretty impeccable) Whenever the surplus is wasted the economy tanks.

But even if we take what you say on face value, it isnt like the MNGP is giving the money back to the people...they are just giving it back to their donors and some businesses. The people who actually pay taxes are getting nothing back. And even if they were, that only serves to make things worse. The MNGOP destroyed the state economy before and they are trying to do it again.
                        -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Why do they need a surplus? Common Sense. They are the largest business in the state and they need that surplus to assure that if there is an economic recession they are able to stay operational. The number one thing you need during an economic recession is money. If they drain the rainy day fund, and there is a recession they will not have the funds they need for a stimulus.

Basic common sense.

I love it when my state has money laying around. That's a good thing. I don't want to live in ****ing Kansas.
                          This.
                          -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post

Basic common sense.

If republicans in Minnesota think Kansas is so great I wish they’d all move there. I hear the schools and healthcare are just superb

Comment

Working...
                            X