Page 23 of 51 FirstFirst ... 131415161718192021222324252627282930313233 ... LastLast

Thread: The States: Doing Their Own Thing...

Re: The States: Doing Their Own Thing...

Quote Originally Posted by trixR4kids View Post
    Right, I would agree and I'm not trying to argue that fear tactics never work on the left or should never be used. But I think we'd both agree that it's probably not as effective as running on actual material improvement of peoples' everyday lives.
    But the only people that can make that argument are currently the ones in office. Otherwise it is all scare tactics to a degree.

Do you really think the person who runs against Trump in 2020 isnt going to use fear in some capacity? Of course they are.
    "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
    -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
    -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
    -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Quote Originally Posted by Kepler View Post
    I don't know about that. I meant philosophy. Conservatism is resistance to change. It is the natural tendency to prefer to stay at X rather than move to Y because the thing about X that's certain is I haven't died at X yet.

That's why the American right is no longer conservative. They have been radically changing America for thirty years, now. They are Utopians. Paradoxically, this could mean they are less likely to be motivated by fear, but instead can be motivated by fanaticism.
    Not quite.

From the same author I quoted in a different thread.

The key thing here is not to confuse a conservative with a member of the radical right. A conservative isn't for a God fearing nation in which non-believers are prosecuted by the law. They'd rather have people go to church on Sundays on their own free will. They would appreciate not being treated like a villain because they do go to church, pray before a major event, or place a symbol of their faith in a public area. They don't want to tear down crosses that have been in place for more than fifty years because someone has suddenly found a symbol of their faith insulting.

A conservative is basically against change. They'll admit that things may not be exactly fair, but the correction should be a minor tweak of the system and not the elimination of the system. That's the real definition of a conservative. It isn't that they are pro-war, pro-business, or anti-gay. They just don't want radical change in how things have been up to now.

In a funny way, conservatives do believe that people should have a lot more freedom in how they can act. They feel that if you own a business, then you have the right to say who works for you. That means you don't have to hire someone to satisfy some equal opportunity criteria. Of course, that does deny equal opportunity to some people but it isn't a result of a dictate by law.

I'm not saying that conservatives are entirely right. Some of their opposition to change allows civil injustices to continue. I'm just saying that is the last kind of person who would adopt radical change in the American political system.

Quote Originally Posted by Handyman View Post
    But the only people that can make that argument are currently the ones in office. Otherwise it is all scare tactics to a degree.

Do you really think the person who runs against Trump in 2020 isnt going to use fear in some capacity? Of course they are.
    Well I remember saying that the left should use fear on some level as a motivator so I'm not entirely against it being used on some level, that's fine. I just hope that isn't the main takeaway of what he plans to do because to most people that more or less means "status quo" and we've seen recently that probably isn't a winning strategy. I think in MN that could work since we're better off than most states including WI but like I've said I feel like Dayton became more and more unpopular during his tenure and I think that's part of why the other levers of power turned red in 2016 as well as explained Trump's somewhat narrow (or at least more narrow than usual) defeat in this state.

Quote Originally Posted by joecct View Post
    Not quite.

From the same author I quoted in a different thread.
    Seems to me you said exactly what I said, just using different words. And the author seems unaware or unwilling to acknowledge that conservatism as he (and you, and I) define it ceased to exist in the United States as a major political force fifty years ago, and was replaced by a frothing, radical reactionary movement of hair (hare?)-brained social and economic engineering.

Edit: it's "hare."
    We do what we must because we can
    For the good of all of us, except the ones who are dead

Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018

Presumably the white trash part of the state gets redder, the college / city portion gets bluer, and then the suburbanites vote for whoever lies to them most effectively each cycle. Just like about 40 other states.
    Correct. And any Democrat that does not recognize that trend is doomed to failure or luck.
    Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
    Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Glass at 0%: Another First Round Exit.

Speaking of why Ds lose the heartland

https://m.washingtontimes.com/news/2...-racist-natio/

Yes the Dems are losing the heartland because of some (high school) student group in San Fran -_-

Lucia Apologist

How many farmers and laborers make up the DFL today?

Blue collar liberals went out with Al Smith PBUH. Even a "blue collar" icon like Handsome Joe is just playing a part. Liberalism has been a college pep band since the 60s, which also dates to when all the anti-intellectual drivel dredged up against the left went plaid.
    You said tradition. Not today.

Because they aren't white supremacists? Yeah, that's kind of the point.

America is urban. "The heartland" is a sepia-toned manipulative beer ad about a place that doesn't exist and never did.

The bourgeoisie has subjected the country to the rule of the towns. It has created enormous cities, has greatly increased the urban population as compared with the rural, and has thus rescued a considerable part of the population from the idiocy of rural life.

Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018

Yep, still here

Dems pick up a Florida state rep seat where

It was held by an R in a GOP county ,Rs outnumber Ds by 12k voters, or 10 percentage points there , Trump carried it by 4.6% (but won FL by 1.2%), Good (D) just won by 7.4 points

The GOP sent Lewandowski to try and save it.
    "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

Quote Originally Posted by bronconick View Post
    That's the best part. ROTFLMAO
    Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Quote Originally Posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
    That's the best part. ROTFLMAO
    He probably just went and insulted/assaulted the voters
    "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
    -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
    -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
    -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

We've learned nothing.

Republicans have retaken the lead on a generic ballot ahead of the 2018 midterm elections, according to a poll released Wednesday morning.

The Politico/Morning Consult poll finds that 39 percent of likely voters would support a generic Republican candidate in November, while 38 percent would support a Democrat. Nearly a quarter of Americans, 23 percent, are undecided.

The main split in the new poll comes among independents, with 26 percent favoring a Democratic candidate and 25 percent selecting a Republican. A sizable 49 percent of independents are undecided.

The generic Republican candidate had trailed the Democrat by as much as 10 points since November in the Politico/Morning Consult poll.
    http://thehill.com/homenews/campaign...ad-of-midterms

NOTHING. So typical.

there's a good buck in that racket.

All undecided responders are Republicans, but fear being outed

All that matters is who shows up. Nobody's mind is going to be changed. Nobody's using their mind at all any more -- Republicans voters are having a diaper rash tantrum and Democratic voters are reacting against it. That dynamic defines political affiliation now. It's not alterable -- it's not as if Republican voters are going to grow up. The only thing that will change results is, short term, turnout and, long term, whether the higher differential death rate of Republicans is offset by their higher birth rate.

Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970

No what we havent learned is polls dont matter ESPECIALLY this far out. Polls showed Oprah and the Rock would win in 2020.
    -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Quote Originally Posted by bronconick View Post
    Dems pick up a Florida state rep seat where

It was held by an R in a GOP county ,Rs outnumber Ds by 12k voters, or 10 percentage points there , Trump carried it by 4.6% (but won FL by 1.2%), Good (D) just won by 7.4 points

Good. You need to fill the minor leagues. One party rule in the States is bad. Diversity of ideas is good for the Republic.

The Dark One
    killin your brain like a poisonous mushroom

Quote Originally Posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
    We've learned nothing.

http://thehill.com/homenews/campaign...ad-of-midterms

NOTHING. So typical.
    Relax Scoobs. And please use the "smell test" when evaluating some of these polls?

https://politicalwire.com/2018/02/14/892695/

All that matters is who shows up. Nobody's mind is going to be changed. Nobody's using their mind at all any more -- Republicans voters are having a diaper rash tantrum and Democratic voters are reacting against it. That dynamic defines political affiliation now. It's not alterable -- it's not as if Republican voters are going to grow up. The only thing that will change results is, short term, turnout and, long term, whether the higher differential death rate of Republicans is offset by their higher birth rate.
    I agree like 90%. Only thing I would throw out there is if educated Goopers, particularly women are finally ditching the GOP in Southern and Midwestern states. For example, in the Florida special election the other day, the GOP candidate's campaign manager said something to the effect that GOP turnout was good, the problem was they didn't vote for his candidate.
    Last edited by Rover; 02-14-2018 at 10:33 AM.
    Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

There you go Scoob...from that liberal rag the WSJ
    -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Thread Information