Page 6 of 21 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 120 of 405

Thread: Science: Everything explained by PV=nRT, F=ma=Gm(1)m(2)/r^2

  1. #101
    The plural of anecdote is not data
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Coming soon to an exam room near you
    Posts
    1,040

    Re: Science: Everything explained by PV=nRT, F=ma=Gm(1)m(2)/r^2

    Quote Originally Posted by 5mn_Major View Post
    Sure...but does the costs of that outweigh the benefits of a knowledgeable patient. I would argue no.

    A knowledgeable consumer pushes a product/service provider to produce better offerings and do it with better service/support. This is the case whether you're ordering food at a restaurant, buying a dishwasher, booking a hotel or receiving healthcare. If you're the provider getting pushed, it makes your life more difficult...but the resulting improved offering makes for a better marketplace overall and improves quality of life for all.
    Here is the point you are having trouble getting. Being knowledgeable about a dishwasher is much different than being knowledgeable about healthcare.
    In the immortal words of Jean Paul Sartre, 'Au revoir, gopher'.

    Quote Originally Posted by burd View Post
    I look at some people and I just know they do it doggy style. No way they're getting close to my kids.

  2. #102
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Back down in Uptown
    Posts
    12,182

    Re: Science: Everything explained by PV=nRT, F=ma=Gm(1)m(2)/r^2

    Quote Originally Posted by WisconsinWildcard View Post
    What a great way to tank the Press-Ganey score and cause your hospital to lose money. You do that frequently enough and you will have 2 or 3 administrators so far up your ***...

    The system is broken. Doctors and patients have poor advocacy for themselves. Politicians do not give a **** or listen to the profit makers in medicine over patients and health care professionals.
    There are some hospitals that are better and some that are worse. Like any other profession, unfortunately that means that workers need to make a change to another workplace to improve things. And like any other profession, typically workers take a worse job in a less effective organization because the money is better.

    There are better hospital systems and worse ones...but you may say its 100% systemic. Now, I'm smart enough to be dangerous on some of this stuff, but I know something about markets. I'm pretty sure the reason hospitals are not profitable is because insurance companies are squeezing profits out of them. That is ultimately the top problem that I know of. And that is beyond anyone's control at this point.

    Quote Originally Posted by WisconsinWildcard View Post
    Here is the point you are having trouble getting. Being knowledgeable about a dishwasher is much different than being knowledgeable about healthcare.
    But the principles apply in both cases. I think both you and UNO's point is that its bad to have a patient who is wrong in their knowledge. I would propose for quality of healthcare...a wrong patient is better than a patient who knows nothing and doesn't provide a modest challenge to the system. The human race is what we are because of millennia of learning, debate, resolution, learning and improvement. Physicians just need to stick to their guns when patients are wrong. That is the way it should be. The trick is to make sure physicians have the time/resources to beef up for that discussion...because that process of preparation is what makes you better.
    Go Gophers!

  3. #103
    unofan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 1999
    Location
    Omaha, NE, USA
    Posts
    18,470
    Quote Originally Posted by 5mn_Major View Post
    a wrong patient is better than a patient who knows nothing and doesn't provide a modest challenge to the system.
    My client is a government agency. When my client is wrong, either consumers or the regulated industry is harmed, not me (except to the extent I may also be a consumer). Challenging the system makes for a great soundbyte but neglects consideration of injury to innocent third parties.

  4. #104
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Back down in Uptown
    Posts
    12,182

    Re: Science: Everything explained by PV=nRT, F=ma=Gm(1)m(2)/r^2

    Quote Originally Posted by unofan View Post
    My client is a government agency. When my client is wrong, either consumers or the regulated industry is harmed, not me (except to the extent I may also be a consumer). Challenging the system makes for a great soundbyte but neglects consideration of injury to innocent third parties.
    Can't speak to your unique situation. But in the vast majority of situations, the only way the industry is harmed is if the relevant provider either doesn't care or caves in to consumers. That's on the provider. The far greater risk for society is that the consumer is ignorant and continues buying whatever youre pushing.
    Go Gophers!

  5. #105
    The plural of anecdote is not data
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Coming soon to an exam room near you
    Posts
    1,040

    Re: Science: Everything explained by PV=nRT, F=ma=Gm(1)m(2)/r^2

    Quote Originally Posted by 5mn_Major View Post
    There are better hospital systems and worse ones...but you may say its 100% systemic. Now, I'm smart enough to be dangerous on some of this stuff, but I know something about markets. I'm pretty sure the reason hospitals are not profitable is because insurance companies are squeezing profits out of them. That is ultimately the top problem that I know of. And that is beyond anyone's control at this point.
    You are correct, you are just smart enough to be dangerous

    There are plenty of reasons hospitals are not profitable. There are laws requiring us to treat who shows up to our ED. Hospitals have to absorb those that do not have insurance and this costs much more than insurance squeezing things. Look around the country and see why hospitals are going out of business. They are usually in rural or underserved areas and have too high a proportion of uninsured. If uninsured goes up in the US, more hospitals will close.

    The hospital systems that are successful are usually not because they have better outcomes. They control their market better and do so at the cost of humanity. They have administrators that are good at altering the numbers to make them look good. If you took the top 10 hospitals in US news whatever...they all do this. Did you know that you can "erase" a bad outcome if you flip a patients bed from an inpatient bed to a hospice bed after a bad outcome on a surgery? It looks like they were discharged alive to the numbers that matter for rankings but they could have died minutes after that clerical trick. The "top" hospitals are doing this.

    Did you know that Cleveland Clinic makes every effort to hide their emergency room to avoid serving the very poor community that their campus is in (which they had to have in order to continue in the community)? Did you know that Mayo and other profitable systems take preference for private insurance over medicare and medicaid? Why are some of the worst/underserved neighborhoods in Baltimore around Johns Hopkins?

    You can make a hospital system profitable but that does not translate to better outcomes. You can also lose the purpose of healthcare in the process. You are not serving the community, you are hurting those most in need in the name of profits. These profitable systems abandon the most needy in their communities and represent part of what is wrong in our system.
    In the immortal words of Jean Paul Sartre, 'Au revoir, gopher'.

    Quote Originally Posted by burd View Post
    I look at some people and I just know they do it doggy style. No way they're getting close to my kids.

  6. #106

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    20904/13677/07677/07621
    Posts
    34,028

    Re: Science: Everything explained by PV=nRT, F=ma=Gm(1)m(2)/r^2

    @CBC: A piece of Canada that broke off about 1.7 billion years ago has been found in Australia. | @CBCNews http://www.cbc.ca/1.4508780

  7. #107

    Join Date
    Nov 1999
    Location
    Further on down the road
    Posts
    59,377

    Re: Science: Everything explained by PV=nRT, F=ma=Gm(1)m(2)/r^2

    Quote Originally Posted by joecct View Post
    @CBC: A piece of Canada that broke off about 1.7 billion years ago has been found in Australia. | @CBCNews http://www.cbc.ca/1.4508780
    Should be almost sober by now.
    It's a book of our true stories
    True stories that can't be denied
    It's more than true it actually happened
    We're coming rougher every time

    Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018

  8. #108
    Lucia Apologist
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    24,740

    Re: Science: Everything explained by PV=nRT, F=ma=Gm(1)m(2)/r^2

    Brilliant

  9. #109

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    20904/13677/07677/07621
    Posts
    34,028

    Re: Science: Everything explained by PV=nRT, F=ma=Gm(1)m(2)/r^2

    More rocks. Dinosaurs found in Gteenbelt, MD


    https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...t-outside-d-c/

  10. #110
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Posts
    2,332
    Quote Originally Posted by WisconsinWildcard View Post
    You are correct, you are just smart enough to be dangerous

    There are plenty of reasons hospitals are not profitable. There are laws requiring us to treat who shows up to our ED. Hospitals have to absorb those that do not have insurance and this costs much more than insurance squeezing things. Look around the country and see why hospitals are going out of business. They are usually in rural or underserved areas and have too high a proportion of uninsured. If uninsured goes up in the US, more hospitals will close.

    The hospital systems that are successful are usually not because they have better outcomes. They control their market better and do so at the cost of humanity. They have administrators that are good at altering the numbers to make them look good. If you took the top 10 hospitals in US news whatever...they all do this. Did you know that you can "erase" a bad outcome if you flip a patients bed from an inpatient bed to a hospice bed after a bad outcome on a surgery? It looks like they were discharged alive to the numbers that matter for rankings but they could have died minutes after that clerical trick. The "top" hospitals are doing this.

    Did you know that Cleveland Clinic makes every effort to hide their emergency room to avoid serving the very poor community that their campus is in (which they had to have in order to continue in the community)? Did you know that Mayo and other profitable systems take preference for private insurance over medicare and medicaid? Why are some of the worst/underserved neighborhoods in Baltimore around Johns Hopkins?

    You can make a hospital system profitable but that does not translate to better outcomes. You can also lose the purpose of healthcare in the process. You are not serving the community, you are hurting those most in need in the name of profits. These profitable systems abandon the most needy in their communities and represent part of what is wrong in our system.
    I spent a few months in Cleveland on a project to help a hospital with exactly what you just said. They were near Cleveland clinic and got all the poor, uninsured and other non desirable patients. Was a nightmare

  11. #111
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    711

    Re: Science: Everything explained by PV=nRT, F=ma=Gm(1)m(2)/r^2

    How many of you believe in Evolution? Survival of the FITTEST??? I mean, ever thought that the best thing to do, in light of the issue of overpopulation is to just let the stupid die off if that is what they choose to do? And the poor? Why do we care so **** much about the poor? Survival of the Fittest would argue that both groups, the stupid and the poor should be left to just DIE already.

    My guess is several of you would claim NOT to be "Christians" anymore, yet you still act like it. Christians talk about the "True believers", the ones who truly live according to their beliefs, well, where are all of the "True believers" in Evolution???



    I mean, if hospitals are losing money, stop letting the poor and uninsured in, let em die!!! Wouldn't you be doing the whole world a favor?


    Or don't you people truly believe in Evolution? I don't get it? Why all of the compassion and good will towards the poor and the stupid???

  12. #112

    Join Date
    Nov 1999
    Location
    Further on down the road
    Posts
    59,377

    Re: Science: Everything explained by PV=nRT, F=ma=Gm(1)m(2)/r^2

    Bad performance art.

    It's a book of our true stories
    True stories that can't be denied
    It's more than true it actually happened
    We're coming rougher every time

    Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018

  13. #113

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    20904/13677/07677/07621
    Posts
    34,028
    Quote Originally Posted by Kepler View Post
    Bad performance art.

    Good performance art

  14. #114
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    711

    Re: Science: Everything explained by PV=nRT, F=ma=Gm(1)m(2)/r^2

    Quote Originally Posted by joecct View Post
    Good performance art
    a performance, maybe? Good? Depends on who you ask. Seems pretty PAGAN to me? I'm sure the poor of the world are SO pleased with all the money spend on the building, the altar, the pagan costumes, etc.. What a slap in the face to the truly needy of the world.

  15. #115
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Location
    Indialantic, FL
    Posts
    7,959
    Quote Originally Posted by FredsDeadFriend View Post
    How many of you believe in Evolution? Survival of the FITTEST??? I mean, ever thought that the best thing to do, in light of the issue of overpopulation is to just let the stupid die off if that is what they choose to do? And the poor? Why do we care so **** much about the poor? Survival of the Fittest would argue that both groups, the stupid and the poor should be left to just DIE already.

    My guess is several of you would claim NOT to be "Christians" anymore, yet you still act like it. Christians talk about the "True believers", the ones who truly live according to their beliefs, well, where are all of the "True believers" in Evolution???



    I mean, if hospitals are losing money, stop letting the poor and uninsured in, let em die!!! Wouldn't you be doing the whole world a favor?


    Or don't you people truly believe in Evolution? I don't get it? Why all of the compassion and good will towards the poor and the stupid???
    The nice thing is that evolution doesn't have to be believed in - it's just objectively true. It's not an ideal to be fostered and pursued; it is neither good nor bad - it is just a fact that every species can change genetically over time depending on which genes are most helpful in allowing them to reach reproductive maturity and actually procreate within the environmental conditions that they face.

  16. #116
    Just a boring user.
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Walking to Yost
    Posts
    9,402

    Re: Science: Everything explained by PV=nRT, F=ma=Gm(1)m(2)/r^2

    Quote Originally Posted by FredsDeadFriend View Post
    How many of you believe in Evolution? Survival of the FITTEST??? I mean, ever thought that the best thing to do, in light of the issue of overpopulation is to just let the stupid die off if that is what they choose to do? And the poor? Why do we care so **** much about the poor? Survival of the Fittest would argue that both groups, the stupid and the poor should be left to just DIE already.

    My guess is several of you would claim NOT to be "Christians" anymore, yet you still act like it. Christians talk about the "True believers", the ones who truly live according to their beliefs, well, where are all of the "True believers" in Evolution???



    I mean, if hospitals are losing money, stop letting the poor and uninsured in, let em die!!! Wouldn't you be doing the whole world a favor?


    Or don't you people truly believe in Evolution? I don't get it? Why all of the compassion and good will towards the poor and the stupid???
    What an odd post.

    First, why is compassion for the less fortunate a "Christian" thing? Compassion is part of human nature, not exclusive to Christianity nor even religion as a whole.

    Second- why are you assuming that the poor are the ones who are the ones in line for evolutionary consequences? Last I checked, all of the "issues" that would be "solved" by applying harsh evolutionary spotlight on them are pretty equally distributed among all classes- everyone has defect problems that hamper their ability to survive on their own. The only reason the "rich" can get a pass is that they can afford to keep their poor line of offspring alive.

    Third- money and the concept around it is a human thing, so using that as some kind of filter for evolution is total crap.

    Fourth- the ability to take care of others, thus dealing with flaws in humans that would net in early death for most animals is very unique. Which means the whole idea of having a doctor perform any action to keep a person alive negates any application of "evolution" to the human race.

    All in all, your post is misplaced on many lines.

  17. #117
    I'm the Problem ScoobyDoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    The 9th Circle
    Posts
    66,770

    Re: Science: Everything explained by PV=nRT, F=ma=Gm(1)m(2)/r^2

    Science is dead. Move to France.
    Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
    Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

    Glass at 0%: Another First Round Exit.

  18. #118
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    711

    Re: Science: Everything explained by PV=nRT, F=ma=Gm(1)m(2)/r^2

    Quote Originally Posted by LynahFan View Post
    The nice thing is that evolution doesn't have to be believed in - it's just objectively true. It's not an ideal to be fostered and pursued; it is neither good nor bad - it is just a fact that every species can change genetically over time depending on which genes are most helpful in allowing them to reach reproductive maturity and actually procreate within the environmental conditions that they face.
    So the "Theory" of Evolution is not a theory anymore?

    And so it doesn't even have to be "believed", it just is? And hence my question, why do humans then, do so much to usurp the natural way of things? Why do we help the weak to survive? Does this not weaken the human race? Shouldn't we let the weak not survive?

    I'm not saying, I'm just asking. It's a philosophical question, if evolution just is, why do humans not cooperate with it? What is the purpose or reasoning behind such acts? How does it help the human race? According to evolution, compassion for the less fortunate is a weakness. What happens when there are too many deer in an area? Disease ends up reducing the population unless humans allow each other to hunt them. So why do we continue to fight against nature? If its not compassion shown to less fortunate humans, its vegans thinking its wrong to kill poor little ole bambi's momma or poppa?

  19. #119
    Lucia Apologist
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    24,740

    Re: Science: Everything explained by PV=nRT, F=ma=Gm(1)m(2)/r^2

    Watch, hes going to ask why there are still monkeys if evolution exists.

  20. #120

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    20904/13677/07677/07621
    Posts
    34,028
    Quote Originally Posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
    Watch, hes going to ask why there are still monkeys if evolution exists.
    The 1%ers became human?

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •