Page 24 of 25 FirstFirst ... 141516171819202122232425 LastLast
Results 461 to 480 of 488

Thread: Science: Everything explained by PV=nRT, F=ma=Gm(1)m(2)/r^2

  1. #461
    Just a boring user.
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Walking to Yost
    Posts
    9,725

    Re: Science: Everything explained by PV=nRT, F=ma=Gm(1)m(2)/r^2

    Quote Originally Posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
    Being rational isn't getting us anywhere either. This country is headed down the toilet bowl and nothing is going to stop it. Greed comes to roost eventually. Kudos to the US for lasting as long as it did.
    So basically, you are saying you are just like a dumpy supporter, just with a different agenda.

    What a great future we have in store.

  2. #462
    DYKWIA? FadeToBlack&Gold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    An Airport Near You
    Posts
    28,807

    Re: Science: Everything explained by PV=nRT, F=ma=Gm(1)m(2)/r^2

    Quote Originally Posted by MissThundercat View Post
    World Health Organization endorses traditional Chinese medicine.

    So much for do no harm.
    I watched Zimmern try to choke down some TCM medicinal tea once. After throwing it up into the harbor, he promptly went to the nearest good restaurant and pigged out. Only to be "busted" by the TCM doctor. I love that guy.
    Michigan Tech: "Working with scraps and guys from places so remote that Houghton seems like a metropolis"

  3. #463
    RIP Liberalism 6/27/2018 ScoobyDoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    The 9th Circle
    Posts
    69,249

    Re: Science: Everything explained by PV=nRT, F=ma=Gm(1)m(2)/r^2

    Quote Originally Posted by alfablue View Post
    So basically, you are saying you are just like a dumpy supporter, just with a different agenda.

    What a great future we have in store.
    Nope. I vote for the only party that has a shot in correcting. I don't believe they will ever get the power they need to accomplish it, and if they do I have no faith that power won't corrupt them as well.
    Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
    Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

    Glass at 0%: Another First Round Exit.

  4. #464
    The plural of anecdote is not data
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Coming soon to an exam room near you
    Posts
    1,058

    Re: Science: Everything explained by PV=nRT, F=ma=Gm(1)m(2)/r^2

    Quote Originally Posted by MissThundercat View Post
    World Health Organization endorses traditional Chinese medicine.

    So much for do no harm.
    They have for quite a while. If it makes you feel better, it is political, not scientific. I do not have the time to go into it now in great detail but some high ups in the WHO are very deep into TCM. Not to mention it really ****es off the Chinese government to be critical of TCM.
    In the immortal words of Jean Paul Sartre, 'Au revoir, gopher'.

    Quote Originally Posted by burd View Post
    I look at some people and I just know they do it doggy style. No way they're getting close to my kids.

  5. #465
    Lucia Apologist
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    26,253

    Re: Science: Everything explained by PV=nRT, F=ma=Gm(1)m(2)/r^2

    I cant not read Turner Classic Movies

  6. #466

    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Living from my car
    Posts
    22,007

    Re: Science: Everything explained by PV=nRT, F=ma=Gm(1)m(2)/r^2

    I think it was Scooby who posted an article a few weeks back about how the Dutch have engineered levees and dikes to divert flood waters away from population centers, and how something of that scale would never work in the US because of the political climate.

    Welp, it appears to be taking a grassroots effort to get that started, and I came across this article where a costal town in North Carolina did such a project. And it worked.

    https://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Societ...&kwp_1=1368849

    Hat tip to Facebook's creepy algorithms that suggested this specific article for me because a couple friends like Christian Science Monitor.

  7. #467
    RIP Liberalism 6/27/2018 ScoobyDoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    The 9th Circle
    Posts
    69,249

    Re: Science: Everything explained by PV=nRT, F=ma=Gm(1)m(2)/r^2

    Quote Originally Posted by aparch View Post
    I think it was Scooby who posted an article a few weeks back about how the Dutch have engineered levees and dikes to divert flood waters away from population centers, and how something of that scale would never work in the US because of the political climate.

    Welp, it appears to be taking a grassroots effort to get that started, and I came across this article where a costal town in North Carolina did such a project. And it worked.

    https://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Societ...&kwp_1=1368849

    Hat tip to Facebook's creepy algorithms that suggested this specific article for me because a couple friends like Christian Science Monitor.
    I did and I appreciate that find. It proves what I was saying. I love Engineering and I love Science. This country can go **** itself.
    Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
    Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

    Glass at 0%: Another First Round Exit.

  8. #468
    Made in the USA
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    45,494

    Re: Science: Everything explained by PV=nRT, F=ma=Gm(1)m(2)/r^2

    It was an honor to present your colors, RPI. Let's Go 'TUTE!
    May 14th, 2011, 11:00 PM ET: 2147483647

    "Better to be infamous than never famous at all." -Roger Stone

    Quote Originally Posted by French Rage View Post
    Ahh crap I agree exactly with what FlagDude said.
    Quote Originally Posted by Handyman View Post
    And yet, even if Flaggy is complete tinfoil hat, every day it looks closer and closer to the truth.
    Quote Originally Posted by burd View Post
    So flaggy: you win.

  9. #469
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Location
    Indialantic, FL
    Posts
    8,034

    Re: Science: Everything explained by PV=nRT, F=ma=Gm(1)m(2)/r^2

    Quote Originally Posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
    ....which will be convincing only to those who are already convinced. OMG - did you know that a flashlight emits photons, the same things emitted by laser weapons???? BAN FLASHLIGHTS!
    If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

  10. #470

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    20904/13677/07677/07621
    Posts
    35,445

    Re: Science: Everything explained by PV=nRT, F=ma=Gm(1)m(2)/r^2

    SpaceX just launched and landed from Vandenberg AFB on the left coast.

    I can sort of work out the math when they launch and recover from the Cape as the earth is rotating towards the booster as it returns.

    But the earth is moving *away* from the booster when launching from California. Plus, they launch in a SSW direction which means they need more juice to get back to the launchpad.

    How the F do they do it? Math is appreciated, but leave the calculus to a 1.0 level.

  11. #471
    Lucia Apologist
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    26,253

    Re: Science: Everything explained by PV=nRT, F=ma=Gm(1)m(2)/r^2

    Um, the physics doesnt quite work that way. The same reason if you throw a tennis ball up in a car it continues its trajectory and doesnt slow down because the earth is spinning. I

    Someone smarter than me can correct me, but the reason we dont launch much from the west coast is because if **** happens it doesnt rain down into the US landmass.

  12. #472

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    20904/13677/07677/07621
    Posts
    35,445

    Re: Science: Everything explained by PV=nRT, F=ma=Gm(1)m(2)/r^2

    Well the Russkis had a booster failure this AM launching a Soyuz to the ISS. Both astro/cosmonauts returned safely to terra firma.

    Will this speed up NASA to get off the dime and certify SpaceX and Boeing as man capable to launch to the ISS?

    Nah.

  13. #473
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    2,808

    Re: Science: Everything explained by PV=nRT, F=ma=Gm(1)m(2)/r^2

    Quote Originally Posted by joecct View Post
    Well the Russkis had a booster failure this AM launching a Soyuz to the ISS. Both astro/cosmonauts returned safely to terra firma.

    Will this speed up NASA to get off the dime and certify SpaceX and Boeing as man capable to launch to the ISS?

    Nah.
    That would be a really dumb response to something like this

  14. #474
    2147483647
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Posts
    23,272
    Quote Originally Posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
    Um, the physics doesnt quite work that way. The same reason if you throw a tennis ball up in a car it continues its trajectory and doesnt slow down because the earth is spinning. I

    Someone smarter than me can correct me, but the reason we dont launch much from the west coast is because if **** happens it doesnt rain down into the US landmass.
    The earth rotates west to east. So anything launched vertically, that was slowed down while in flight would fall into the pacific ocean.

    But rockets are only launched vertically for the beginning of a flight. They then arc to attempt to gain orbit. The vertical part is just to get through the thickest atmosphere as quickly as possible.

  15. #475
    I got nothing Slap Shot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Clark Freeport Zone, Philippines
    Posts
    30,144

    Re: Science: Everything explained by PV=nRT, F=ma=Gm(1)m(2)/r^2

    Quote Originally Posted by JF_Gophers View Post
    The earth rotates west to east. So anything launched vertically, that was slowed down while in flight would fall into the pacific ocean.

    But rockets are only launched vertically for the beginning of a flight. They then arc to attempt to gain orbit. The vertical part is just to get through the thickest atmosphere as quickly as possible.
    Duh, everyone knows that.







  16. #476
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    2,808

    Re: Science: Everything explained by PV=nRT, F=ma=Gm(1)m(2)/r^2

    Quote Originally Posted by joecct View Post
    SpaceX just launched and landed from Vandenberg AFB on the left coast.

    I can sort of work out the math when they launch and recover from the Cape as the earth is rotating towards the booster as it returns.

    But the earth is moving *away* from the booster when launching from California. Plus, they launch in a SSW direction which means they need more juice to get back to the launchpad.

    How the F do they do it? Math is appreciated, but leave the calculus to a 1.0 level.
    I think the problem mostly just simplifies down to how long did they have to burn the first stage for a given mission profile. In this case, the relatively small payload combined with the relatively low orbit were enough to overcome the fact that they weren't getting any boost from the Earth's rotation.

  17. #477
    Already insane, UAA making it worse
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    49th
    Posts
    18,243
    Quote Originally Posted by Slap Shot View Post
    Duh, everyone knows that.






    I did. But I also played Kerbal Space Program.

  18. #478
    Waiting for the Snow to fly...
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    South Chicago Burbs... For now anyways...
    Posts
    5,426

    Re: Science: Everything explained by PV=nRT, F=ma=Gm(1)m(2)/r^2

    This might be bad, BAD memory from HS Physics, but I thought you wanted to be as close to the equator as possible when launching. That's why we went to Florida for NASA instead of NoDak...
    It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

    Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

    Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

    Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

  19. #479

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    20904/13677/07677/07621
    Posts
    35,445
    Quote Originally Posted by RaceBoarder View Post
    This might be bad, BAD memory from HS Physics, but I thought you wanted to be as close to the equator as possible when launching. That's why we went to Florida for NASA instead of NoDak...
    We launch over the North Pole from NoDak.

  20. #480
    Lucia Apologist
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    26,253

    Re: Science: Everything explained by PV=nRT, F=ma=Gm(1)m(2)/r^2

    Isnt that because of the radial velocity being at max at the equator?

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •