Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Dead Thread 2017-18: Fare Thee Well!!

John McCain's true legacy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFocBYusSO4

Comment

• Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
      Odd that you find this the appropriate forum for that post.
      PSNetwork / XBOX GamerTag: xJeris
      Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
      NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Comment

Originally posted by JF_Gophers View Post
        Odd that you find this the appropriate forum for that post.
        If it's good enough for joe...

Comment

John McSame was a great statesman and served us well when we had to deal with the national emergencies that were the Dumbya and Trumpf regimes, but I will never forgive him for 2008. His campaign of racism and misogyny showed that he was no maverick, but rather, a true Republican.
          1949, 2001, 2008, 2010, 2012, 2018

Boston College Hockey: It's just that we're better than you.

B Who? Oh, you mean "Sux 2 B.U."

Comment

• Originally posted by TimP View Post
            John McSame was a great statesman and served us well when we had to deal with the national emergencies that were the Dumbya and Trumpf regimes, but I will never forgive him for 2008. His campaign of racism and misogyny showed that he was no maverick, but rather, a true Republican.
            He doesn’t care what you forgive
            a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Senator McCain was a man and a politician. He had his faults and flaws, the biggest of which was arguably a level of self-importance, entitlement, and quest for power that made him a flip-flopper who pandered to popular positions depending on whether or not it was an election year, just to seem "maverick-y". The Palin running mate choice was the last straw, a hasty decision obviously made to play identity politics against Obama being black. So in those respects, I can't quite forgive him for being this generation's Aaron Burr.

That said, I'd prefer to remember him as one of our better elder statesmen who never quite achieved the Presidency, and leave it at that. Maybe more like this generation's Henry Clay. RIP, Senator.

Comment

If it's good enough for joe...
                ???????????

------

Neil Simon will write no more.
                Last edited by joecct; 08-26-2018, 11:33 AM.
                CCT '77 & '78
                4 kids
                5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                  Senator McCain was a man and a politician. He had his faults and flaws, the biggest of which was arguably a level of self-importance, entitlement, and quest for power that made him a flip-flopper who pandered to popular positions depending on whether or not it was an election year, just to seem "maverick-y". The Palin running mate choice was the last straw, a hasty decision obviously made to play identity politics against Obama being black. So in those respects, I can't quite forgive him for being this generation's Aaron Burr.

That said, I'd prefer to remember him as one of our better elder statesmen who never quite achieved the Presidency, and leave it at that. Maybe more like this generation's Henry Clay. RIP, Senator.
                  I posted it in another thread, but that clip when he shut down that woman who said Obama was an Arab. JMC squashed that, and COMPLIMENTED Obama, and simply said they had their differences. Didn't rip Obama's views, just said he disagreed with them. it was friggin' awesome. Respectful disagreement is a lost art nowadays, ESPECIALLY in today's political world.
                  Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                  Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

• Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                    I posted it in another thread, but that clip when he shut down that woman who said Obama was an Arab. JMC squashed that, and COMPLIMENTED Obama, and simply said they had their differences. Didn't rip Obama's views, just said he disagreed with them. it was friggin' awesome. Respectful disagreement is a lost art nowadays, ESPECIALLY in today's political world.
                    Yes, probably McCain's best moment in the past 20 years. Shame he couldn't stick up for himself as fiercely when Dubya and Karl Rove smeared his family.

Comment

Originally posted by state of hockey View Post
                      My maternal grandmother made the same choice. As she put it, "I'm alive because of the treatments, and I'm alive to get to the next treatment." She had had enough. She was very worried that stopping would be considered suicide and that she would be judged harshly for it by her Lord. The doctor was awesome and told her "This decision won't offend God. You've been kept alive through treatments all other creatures don't have access to. If anything, God is angry with me."
                      That doc is an amazing person. Kudos!

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post

great post. There were parts of him that I was disappointed in and parts I deeply respected. When l look back it seems as if he was trying very hard to remain a statesman and every once in awhile he fatigued out ant tried it the 'party way'. Those times are the times I didn't like what he was doing. Looking at him thru the lens of today the guy is wonderful. THe current passle of infants on the hill could take lessons in how to be civil, try to work with each other and accomplish things.

Comment

You fit right in with the comments on that Flaggy.
                        "If you leave ignorance and stupidity alone, ignorance and stupidity will think it's ok."
                        -Gallagher

R.I.P.
                        Grandpa G. ~ Feb 11, 1918-Oct. 6, 1999
                        Grandma ~ Jan 2004
                        Dad ~ Nov. 4, 1958-April 21, 2008
                        Grandpa S. ~ June 21, 1932-November 11, 2013

Comment

Well said.

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics...k-test/568582/
                          CCT '77 & '78
                          4 kids
                          5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                          1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                          - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                            @DanaBashCNN: John McCain dies 9 years to the day as his close friend Ted Kennedy
                            And the same type of brain cancer
                            Growing old is mandatory -- growing up is optional!

Comment

Originally posted by busterman62 View Post
                              Thankfully I didn't have to memorize "The Cremation of Sam McGee" the same way McCain did. Wow. Just WOW! One has to admit he was an impressive man regardless of one's political viewpoint.

Anecdotally, I found a lot of cancer Pts go through palliative chemoTx/XRT for their families rather than themselves. Regardless, it DOES take some major yarbles to say stop.
                              Charles Krauthammer also stopped treatment for his cancer.
                              Growing old is mandatory -- growing up is optional!

Comment

I’ve been mulling what to say about McCain now that I’ve had time to collect my thoughts.

I think the nicest thing I can say is that McCain was cut from the same cloth as Paul Wellstone. I deeply respected both men. During my conservative phase I respected the memory of Wellstone even if I didn’t agree with him. Likewise today, I didn't and certainly still don’t agree with a lot of what McCain voted for but I always thought he was one of the good guys.

The man was an honest to god war hero. We throw that term ‘hero’ around a lot today, but he defines the word. He put honor and country above everything and he lived it every day of his life.

I’m deeply hurt by his passing and I don’t see someone on the right of his character willing or much less able to carry his legacy. RIP Senator. You’ll be sorely missed.
                                Code:
                                As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                                College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                                BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                                Originally posted by SanTropez
                                May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                                Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                                I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                                Originally posted by Kepler
                                When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                                He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Working...
                                X