Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Dead Thread 2017-18: Fare Thee Well!!

There is also an anti-smoking med that has a possible side effect of SUICIDAL THOUGHTS. No thanks, I'll stick to the cancer sticks.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
      There is also an anti-smoking med that has a possible side effect of SUICIDAL THOUGHTS. No thanks, I'll stick to the cancer sticks.
      Chantix- you can have crazy thoughts/mightmares on that stuff. Makes some people very irritable and agitated. Most people don't have a problem. Some people do well until they increase dose to 2 mg. A lot of them are fine if you keep them at 1 mg. or drop them back to 1 mg. A few yrs ago some famous person went ballistic and the neighbor shot them for trespass.

On the other hand it is a wonder drug for some.

Comment

Originally posted by leswp1 View Post
        Chantix- you can have crazy thoughts/mightmares on that stuff. Makes some people very irritable and agitated. Most people don't have a problem. Some people do well until they increase dose to 2 mg. A lot of them are fine if you keep them at 1 mg. or drop them back to 1 mg. A few yrs ago some famous person went ballistic and the neighbor shot them for trespass.

On the other hand it is a wonder drug for some.
        Yep, that's the one. It's amazing what the FDA approves these days.

Back to the subject: mental health.....some designer dies, nothing really in the news. A few mentions. Bourdain dies...ZOMG ALL THE ATTENTION HERE AND NOW! That's an issue, IMO.
        Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

Former coworker of mine had extremely personal and vivid nightmares as soon as he started Chantix. He quit taking it after a few weeks.

I got to see Bourdain give a talk and answer audience questions on his book tour stop in Detroit a couple years ago. Tours are always an exhausting business, and that was presumably on top of his travel/filming schedule that year. He was cheerful and engaging enough, but obviously going through the motions every night.

Not being crass, but if he wanted help, I doubt the means, nor the access to providers were issues at this point in his life. He was making CNN money, and they undoubtedly have plans and people in place for that scenario. To me, just reading his books and watching his shows, it always seemed like Tony never found what he was looking for in this world. He'd hop on one train, ride it hard, and then jump from it when he got bored. Didn't matter if it was thrill-seeking (esp. heroin back in the day), multiple careers, two divorces, etc. He always seemed to embody the Hemingway/Kerouac/Thompson attitude of trying everything, writing about it, and then going out on his own terms.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
            Former coworker of mine had extremely personal and vivid nightmares as soon as he started Chantix. He quit taking it after a few weeks.

I got to see Bourdain give a talk and answer audience questions on his book tour stop in Detroit a couple years ago. Tours are always an exhausting business, and that was presumably on top of his travel/filming schedule that year. He was cheerful and engaging enough, but obviously going through the motions every night.

Not being crass, but if he wanted help, I doubt the means, nor the access to providers were issues at this point in his life. He was making CNN money, and they undoubtedly have plans and people in place for that scenario. To me, just reading his books and watching his shows, it always seemed like Tony never found what he was looking for in this world. He'd hop on one train, ride it hard, and then jump from it when he got bored. Didn't matter if it was thrill-seeking (esp. heroin back in the day), multiple careers, two divorces, etc. He always seemed to embody the Hemingway/Kerouac/Thompson attitude of trying everything, writing about it, and then going out on his own terms.
            He was a burn out before you fade away guy, for sure.

Comment

He'd hop on one train, ride it hard, and then jump from it when he got bored. Didn't matter if it was thrill-seeking (esp. heroin back in the day), multiple careers, two divorces, etc. He always seemed to embody the Hemingway/Kerouac/Thompson attitude of trying everything, writing about it, and then going out on his own terms.
              You can do that sh-t until you have kids. Once you have kids your life is no longer your own to throw away until they're mature enough that it won't scar them for life.
              Cornell University
              National Champion 1967, 1970
              ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
              Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                You can do that sh-t until you have kids. Once you have kids your life is no longer your own to throw away until they're mature enough that it won't scar them for life.
                Generally speaking, I tend to agree, but that's easy for you and I to say when we're not at the rock bottom of the pit. Major depression is inherently a selfish disorder when you're in the midst of an episode.

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post

Back to the subject: mental health.....some designer dies, nothing really in the news. A few mentions. Bourdain dies...ZOMG ALL THE ATTENTION HERE AND NOW! That's an issue, IMO.
                  I mean, some deaths are just going to garner more attention than others. Robin Williams was huge because everyone loved his work and had it touch them in some way. Bourdain had his books and his TV shows were a way for many to be able to travel the world if they didn't have the means to do it. Spade made some very nice but also very expensive clothing and accessories. There are going to be some barriers of exposure entry there.

I completely agree with you that there should be more attention to paid to these types of issues when they do occur, but for them to resonate and create change there has to be some connection, and Bourdain just had more of that.
                  Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

Originally posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post
                    I mean, some deaths are just going to garner more attention than others. Robin Williams was huge because everyone loved his work and had it touch them in some way. Bourdain had his books and his TV shows were a way for many to be able to travel the world if they didn't have the means to do it. Spade made some very nice but also very expensive clothing and accessories. There are going to be some barriers of exposure entry there.

I completely agree with you that there should be more attention to paid to these types of issues when they do occur, but for them to resonate and create change there has to be some connection, and Bourdain just had more of that.
                    Absolutely. No one is discounting the value of a life, but level of fame is, and has always been a factor when it comes to reporting on deaths.

Comment

Chantix is a low-grade antidepressant. All antidepressants have suicide warnings. I believe the thought is that when you’re severely depressed and already suicidal, the motivation to even do that is hard to find. Once you start taking the antidepressants it can help you find the motivation to do things. In some cases that means the motivation to take your own life.
                      Code:
                      As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                      College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                      BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                      Originally posted by SanTropez
                      May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                      Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                      I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                      Originally posted by Kepler
                      When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                      He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                        Chantix is a low-grade antidepressant. All antidepressants have suicide warnings. I believe the thought is that when you’re severely depressed and already suicidal, the motivation to even do that is hard to find. Once you start taking the antidepressants it can help you find the motivation to do things. In some cases that means the motivation to take your own life.
                        That is part of it, but we don't really know the full story yet. Will we ever? If Henley's "Dirty Laundry" is any measure, we probably will. And we'll savor it, too.

All of Bourdain's dark past is likely about to come to light. Stupid tabloids. Sorry, man.
                        Last edited by FadeToBlack&Gold; 06-09-2018, 12:47 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post

More people felt a connection to Bourdain through his incredible work. I know I though it was sad Spade was suffering and ended her life, but Bourdain blew me away. He was an incredible talent and lived the life many would kill for — he was rich in experiences and I’m sure valued that more than his money. It shows you how powerful depression can be. Someone we think has life by the balls still has that dark place inside them that they end up not being able to escape.

Comment

• Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                            That is part of it, but we don't really know the full story yet. Will we ever? If Henley's "Dirty Laundry" is any measure, we probably will. And we'll savor it, too.

All of Bourdain's dark past is likely about to come to light. Stupid tabloids. Sorry, man.
                            He was pretty open about the past heroin and cocain addiction. I don’t think he tried to hide anything dark

Comment

Originally posted by BassAle View Post
                              He was pretty open about the past heroin and cocain addiction. I don’t think he tried to hide anything dark
                              He was pretty open about his past, and his personality, and his demons.

Still shocked me about his death, though. I was/am(?) a pretty big fan of his.

Comment

Generally speaking, I tend to agree, but that's easy for you and I to say when we're not at the rock bottom of the pit. Major depression is inherently a selfish disorder when you're in the midst of an episode.
                                Dr. Mrs. made the perfect analogy. Imagine somebody who physically and sexually abuses his child. He must have very deep emotional problems and be the victim of mental illness.

But do we say "boo hoo how tragic let's celebrate his life" about him?

There are actions which we deem over the line, even when they are driven by bad neurobiology. When I say Bourdain doesn't get any sympathy from me I am not saying that his mental illness is his fault. I am saying his action in this case is his fault and it is the ultimate in selfishness. If he had control for a micro-second after he realized he had these thoughts and didn't drop everything to commit himself under observation away from sharp objects, even completely curtailing his personal freedom, to stop this from happening to his child, then, from my point of view, he's dirt.
                                Cornell University
                                National Champion 1967, 1970
                                ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                                Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Working...
                                X