Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 348

Thread: Drinking Thread: Three Sheets To The Wind

  1. #41
    Lucia Apologist
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    26,236

    Re: Drinking Thread: Three Sheets To The Wind

    Quote Originally Posted by Kepler View Post
    It's time to call Emperor's New Clothes on the whole scotch, rye, bourbon, brandy, whiskey scam. It's gasoline. Nobody in history has enjoyed it. The chicks are right. The men who swallow it (literally) are just engaged in a very expensive game of conspicuous consumption and sophisticate posturing.
    Bzzzzzzzzzt

    Brent is right. Youíre just trolling.

  2. #42
    DYKWIA? FadeToBlack&Gold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    An Airport Near You
    Posts
    28,807

    Re: Drinking Thread: Three Sheets To The Wind

    Quote Originally Posted by Kepler View Post
    You should watch Sour Grapes. It's hysterically funny -- you'll be rooting for the con artist all the way.
    I watched Somm several years ago. I laughed so hard at the end when the main guy that everyone said was sooooo smart and such a great taster "failed", and didn't get promoted to Master (and laughed even harder when the pre-credits revealed that he'd re-taken it the following year and "passed" - IIRC, it costs $5,000 to sit the MS exam each time).

    It's all a bunch of baloney.
    Michigan Tech: "Working with scraps and guys from places so remote that Houghton seems like a metropolis"

  3. #43

    Join Date
    Nov 1999
    Location
    Further on down the road
    Posts
    60,346

    Re: Drinking Thread: Three Sheets To The Wind

    Quote Originally Posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
    I watched Somm several years ago. I laughed so hard at the end when the main guy that everyone said was sooooo smart and such a great taster "failed", and didn't get promoted to Master (and laughed even harder when the pre-credits revealed that he'd re-taken it the following year and "passed" - IIRC, it costs $5,000 to sit the MS exam each time).

    It's all a bunch of baloney.
    Somm was really good. I genuinely had affection for some of them. It is, of course, all nonsense.
    Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018

  4. #44
    Anti-Semantic Brenthoven's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Chez Rube
    Posts
    114,854

    Re: Drinking Thread: Three Sheets To The Wind

    I have one store that I've been going to for the past 10 years, mom and pop shop, only have one location. That helps, a LOT.

    I window shop, also a LOT, talk up clerks, get the feel for the store, often walk out without buying anything. Just shop-talk has snagged me some nice prizes over the years.

    Any brewery I hit, I talk up the staff, find their history/purpose in the business/plans for the future. Oftentimes, they are more than happy to indulge, because I honestly care about that stuff. The bonus is their releases coming out/etc.

    Finally, yes, word-of-mouth sources, like on here (and GPL has a similar thread). Get notified about where to find what, at what date, etc. Got a tip a couple weeks ago about an indie store that carries two breweries that have a very small distribution (due to no distributor, they have to do it themselves). I make a point to ask about the next releases and such. Scored some nice shelfies that I can't get at "my store."

    Edit: as for whiskey in general, I've paid $60/pour for a scotch, found out later the bottle was WORTH about $3K (owner bought it for much less, so charged much less), $25/pour for a Yamazaki 18, which you will NOT find in stores (too rare, bottle is about $300 last I heard), and a couple $25-30/pour scotches at the same place I got the $60/pour one.

    Generally, I don't buy pours at places, though. I just buy the dang bottle at a store.
    Last edited by Brenthoven; 12-28-2017 at 10:26 PM.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

  5. #45
    Anti-Semantic Brenthoven's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Chez Rube
    Posts
    114,854

    Re: Drinking Thread: Three Sheets To The Wind

    Raceboarder: missed the CBS part of your post. There's a store here, NOT Total Wine, that has about 2 cases of CBS, no limit that I saw, as of last night. $25/per bomber. Initial rush is over, now you're seeing the inventory of stores that bought a crapload, expecting it to be KBS/BCS/whatever.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

  6. #46
    Lucia Apologist
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    26,236

    Re: Drinking Thread: Three Sheets To The Wind

    Any help on that one? I missed out on it.

  7. #47
    Anti-Semantic Brenthoven's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Chez Rube
    Posts
    114,854

    Re: Drinking Thread: Three Sheets To The Wind

    Quote Originally Posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
    Any help on that one? I missed out on it.
    St Louis Park Liquor Boy. Oh, I have a line on a case plus of BCS if you want it. And if you wanna buy a case of it, you could. Again, not Total Wine.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

  8. #48
    Lucia Apologist
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    26,236

    Re: Drinking Thread: Three Sheets To The Wind

    I owe ya if I can get some.

  9. #49
    Anti-Semantic Brenthoven's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Chez Rube
    Posts
    114,854

    Re: Drinking Thread: Three Sheets To The Wind

    Quote Originally Posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
    I owe ya if I can get some.
    I can check on Sat, how many you want? No finder's fee, will sell at cost. Edit: assuming you're talking CBS, not BCS.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

  10. #50
    Lucia Apologist
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    26,236

    Re: Drinking Thread: Three Sheets To The Wind

    Iím off tomorrow. Iíll head over there tomorrow morning while Iím out running errands.

    Iíll let you know.

  11. #51
    Anti-Semantic Brenthoven's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Chez Rube
    Posts
    114,854

    Re: Drinking Thread: Three Sheets To The Wind

    Quote Originally Posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
    Iím off tomorrow. Iíll head over there tomorrow morning while Iím out running errands.

    Iíll let you know.
    Cool. If you want the BCS, it's Strong Liquor on Cedar Lake Road, near Hopkins Crossroad. You can seriously buy a case. If asked, just say I sent ya.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

  12. #52
    DYKWIA? FadeToBlack&Gold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    An Airport Near You
    Posts
    28,807

    Re: Drinking Thread: Three Sheets To The Wind

    Quote Originally Posted by Brenthoven View Post
    Edit: as for whiskey in general, I've paid $60/pour for a scotch, found out later the bottle was WORTH about $3K (owner bought it for much less, so charged much less), $25/pour for a Yamazaki 18, which you will NOT find in stores (too rare, bottle is about $300 last I heard), and a couple $25-30/pour scotches at the same place I got the $60/pour one.
    This might be a bit of an awkward discussion, but...when was the last time you seriously tasted the difference between a $60 bottle of scotch, and a $200+ scotch like, oh I don't know, Balvenie 21? And I mean a, "this was totally worth paying another $$$$+ for" difference.

    I used to love Highland Park 12 at a little over $50 - nice balance between Islay and Speyside styles - and I could barely taste the difference between that, and the 18-year at about $120 that I bought once. That's when I realized the 'tasting' thing was mostly a farce, and that the law of diminishing returns is true for at least 95% of the public.
    Michigan Tech: "Working with scraps and guys from places so remote that Houghton seems like a metropolis"

  13. #53
    Anti-Semantic Brenthoven's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Chez Rube
    Posts
    114,854

    Re: Drinking Thread: Three Sheets To The Wind

    Quote Originally Posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
    This might be a bit of an awkward discussion, but...when was the last time you seriously tasted the difference between a $60 bottle of scotch, and a $200+ scotch like, oh I don't know, Balvenie 21? And I mean a, "this was totally worth paying another $$$$+ for" difference.

    I used to love Highland Park 12 at a little over $50 - nice balance between Islay and Speyside styles - and I could barely taste the difference between that, and the 18-year at about $120 that I bought once. That's when I realized the 'tasting' thing was mostly a farce, and that the law of diminishing returns is true for at least 95% of the public.
    Anything more than a 20~ YO is just dIck-swinging from ALL I have heard. I'd guess probably more than 15 overall. And yes, the Balvenie 21 I bought on that excursion was just a "go big or go home" move. Gave me an excuse to spend the money. However, to the original argument, you taste Jack D and then take a taste of say, Woodford Double Barrel, you WILL taste the difference. You taste J Walker Scotch, and then taste Balvenie whatever (really, the age doesn't matter) and you WILL taste the difference.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

  14. #54
    Lucia Apologist
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    26,236

    Re: Drinking Thread: Three Sheets To The Wind

    Quote Originally Posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
    This might be a bit of an awkward discussion, but...when was the last time you seriously tasted the difference between a $60 bottle of scotch, and a $200+ scotch like, oh I don't know, Balvenie 21? And I mean a, "this was totally worth paying another $$$$+ for" difference.

    I used to love Highland Park 12 at a little over $50 - nice balance between Islay and Speyside styles - and I could barely taste the difference between that, and the 18-year at about $120 that I bought once. That's when I realized the 'tasting' thing was mostly a farce, and that the law of diminishing returns is true for at least 95% of the public.
    I own a bottle of balvenie 30 and have had dozens, maybe a hundred, of other whiskeys. Thereís an ocean of difference between the 30 and everything else Balvenies. Same thing with high end bourbon. You can easily taste the difference between a bottle of Jim and a bottle of Bookerís. And you can easily taste the difference between Bookerís and a bottle of Stagg.

    Some are worth it. Others arenít. Would I buy a bottle of Balvenie 30 again? Maybe. But itís about more than taste. Itís about sharing something great sometimes. Why do we buy diamonds on engagement rings when zirconias look fairly similar? Why do we buy luxury cars? Why do we buy stressless furniture instead of la-z-boy? Why go to the symphony when you can hear a cat baying at the moon?

    Itís about refinement. Even when we enjoy the symphony, it still takes time and practice to be able to hear the piccolo over everything else. Would the symphony be the same without the piccolo? Probably. But is the chamber orchestra the same as a full symphony? Nope. Is it worth paying that much extra? I donít know. Depends on how much you like music.

  15. #55
    DYKWIA? FadeToBlack&Gold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    An Airport Near You
    Posts
    28,807

    Re: Drinking Thread: Three Sheets To The Wind

    Quote Originally Posted by Brenthoven View Post
    Anything more than a 20~ YO is just dIck-swinging from ALL I have heard.
    I think that's probably 98% accurate.

    Quote Originally Posted by Brenthoven View Post
    However, to the original argument, you taste Jack D and then take a taste of say, Woodford Double Barrel, you WILL taste the difference. You taste J Walker Scotch, and then taste Balvenie whatever (really, the age doesn't matter) and you WILL taste the difference.
    We agree, to a point. Some will taste a slight difference, and be unimpressed, whereas the majority may *gasp* not notice anything, or if they do, dislike it.

    I'll concur with you, they're morons. But...hey, I was never a cheap drunk.

    Some of us, will notice the difference in that $25-50 range. Major value to be found there, IMO.
    Michigan Tech: "Working with scraps and guys from places so remote that Houghton seems like a metropolis"

  16. #56
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    7,908

    Re: Drinking Thread: Three Sheets To The Wind

    Quote Originally Posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
    I own a bottle of balvenie 30 and have had dozens, maybe a hundred, of other whiskeys. Thereís an ocean of difference between the 30 and everything else Balvenies. Same thing with high end bourbon. You can easily taste the difference between a bottle of Jim and a bottle of Bookerís. And you can easily taste the difference between Bookerís and a bottle of Stagg.

    Some are worth it. Others arenít. Would I buy a bottle of Balvenie 30 again? Maybe. But itís about more than taste. Itís about sharing something great sometimes. Why do we buy diamonds on engagement rings when zirconias look fairly similar? Why do we buy luxury cars? Why do we buy stressless furniture instead of la-z-boy? Why go to the symphony when you can hear a cat baying at the moon?

    Itís about refinement. Even when we enjoy the symphony, it still takes time and practice to be able to hear the piccolo over everything else. Would the symphony be the same without the piccolo? Probably. But is the chamber orchestra the same as a full symphony? Nope. Is it worth paying that much extra? I donít know. Depends on how much you like music.
    I'm starting to understand now. Like comparing Sioux hockey to gopher hockey. They're both college hockey, but . . .

  17. #57
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    At the beach
    Posts
    4,313

    Re: Drinking Thread: Three Sheets To The Wind

    Quote Originally Posted by ericredaxe View Post
    Christmas Eve with Sip of Sunshine from Lawson’s Finest Liquids.

    Truly one of Vermont’s best IPAs.

    Merry Christmas to all!
    SOS is being Brewed by Two Roads in Stratford CT. Market is flooded down here now, even my local watering hole has it on tap. It doesn't stop some unscrupulous packy owners from still trying to sell it for $5 a can.
    Last edited by LTsatch; 12-29-2017 at 07:01 AM.
    YALE HOCKEY
    2013 National Champions

  18. #58
    Math atheist
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Under a rock
    Posts
    7,544

    Re: Drinking Thread: Three Sheets To The Wind

    Quote Originally Posted by Brenthoven View Post
    Cool. If you want the BCS, it's Strong Liquor on Cedar Lake Road, near Hopkins Crossroad. You can seriously buy a case. If asked, just say I sent ya.
    I need some for my BIL. Please.

  19. #59
    Lucia Apologist
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    26,236

    Re: Drinking Thread: Three Sheets To The Wind

    And they are out. Or at least the manager didnít want to sell it. They had three left in inventory according to the cashier. :-/

  20. #60
    Anti-Semantic Brenthoven's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Chez Rube
    Posts
    114,854

    Re: Drinking Thread: Three Sheets To The Wind

    Quote Originally Posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
    And they are out. Or at least the manager didnít want to sell it. They had three left in inventory according to the cashier. :-/
    Some stores will do that. They hold it for their regular customers and turn away the newbs and truck chasers.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •