Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Drinking Thread: Three Sheets To The Wind

Lucia Apologist

Re: Drinking Thread: Three Sheets To The Wind

Quote Originally Posted by Kepler View Post
    It's time to call Emperor's New Clothes on the whole scotch, rye, bourbon, brandy, whiskey scam. It's gasoline. Nobody in history has enjoyed it. The chicks are right. The men who swallow it (literally) are just engaged in a very expensive game of conspicuous consumption and sophisticate posturing.
    Bzzzzzzzzzt

Brent is right. Youíre just trolling.

Quote Originally Posted by Kepler View Post
    You should watch Sour Grapes. It's hysterically funny -- you'll be rooting for the con artist all the way.
    I watched Somm several years ago. I laughed so hard at the end when the main guy that everyone said was sooooo smart and such a great taster "failed", and didn't get promoted to Master (and laughed even harder when the pre-credits revealed that he'd re-taken it the following year and "passed" - IIRC, it costs $5,000 to sit the MS exam each time).

It's all a bunch of baloney.
    Michigan Tech: "Working with scraps and guys from places so remote that Houghton seems like a metropolis"

Quote Originally Posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
    I watched Somm several years ago. I laughed so hard at the end when the main guy that everyone said was sooooo smart and such a great taster "failed", and didn't get promoted to Master (and laughed even harder when the pre-credits revealed that he'd re-taken it the following year and "passed" - IIRC, it costs $5,000 to sit the MS exam each time).

It's all a bunch of baloney.
    Somm was really good. I genuinely had affection for some of them. It is, of course, all nonsense.
    Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018

I have one store that I've been going to for the past 10 years, mom and pop shop, only have one location. That helps, a LOT.

I window shop, also a LOT, talk up clerks, get the feel for the store, often walk out without buying anything. Just shop-talk has snagged me some nice prizes over the years.

Any brewery I hit, I talk up the staff, find their history/purpose in the business/plans for the future. Oftentimes, they are more than happy to indulge, because I honestly care about that stuff. The bonus is their releases coming out/etc.

Finally, yes, word-of-mouth sources, like on here (and GPL has a similar thread). Get notified about where to find what, at what date, etc. Got a tip a couple weeks ago about an indie store that carries two breweries that have a very small distribution (due to no distributor, they have to do it themselves). I make a point to ask about the next releases and such. Scored some nice shelfies that I can't get at "my store."

Edit: as for whiskey in general, I've paid $60/pour for a scotch, found out later the bottle was WORTH about $3K (owner bought it for much less, so charged much less), $25/pour for a Yamazaki 18, which you will NOT find in stores (too rare, bottle is about $300 last I heard), and a couple $25-30/pour scotches at the same place I got the $60/pour one.

Generally, I don't buy pours at places, though. I just buy the dang bottle at a store.
    Last edited by Brenthoven; 12-28-2017 at 10:26 PM.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Raceboarder: missed the CBS part of your post. There's a store here, NOT Total Wine, that has about 2 cases of CBS, no limit that I saw, as of last night. $25/per bomber. Initial rush is over, now you're seeing the inventory of stores that bought a crapload, expecting it to be KBS/BCS/whatever.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Lucia Apologist

Any help on that one? I missed out on it.

Quote Originally Posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
    Any help on that one? I missed out on it.
    St Louis Park Liquor Boy. Oh, I have a line on a case plus of BCS if you want it. And if you wanna buy a case of it, you could. Again, not Total Wine.

Lucia Apologist

I owe ya if I can get some.

I owe ya if I can get some.
    I can check on Sat, how many you want? No finder's fee, will sell at cost. Edit: assuming you're talking CBS, not BCS.

Lucia Apologist

Iím off tomorrow. Iíll head over there tomorrow morning while Iím out running errands.

Iíll let you know.

Iím off tomorrow. Iíll head over there tomorrow morning while Iím out running errands.

Iíll let you know.
    Cool. If you want the BCS, it's Strong Liquor on Cedar Lake Road, near Hopkins Crossroad. You can seriously buy a case. If asked, just say I sent ya.

Quote Originally Posted by Brenthoven View Post
    Edit: as for whiskey in general, I've paid $60/pour for a scotch, found out later the bottle was WORTH about $3K (owner bought it for much less, so charged much less), $25/pour for a Yamazaki 18, which you will NOT find in stores (too rare, bottle is about $300 last I heard), and a couple $25-30/pour scotches at the same place I got the $60/pour one.
    This might be a bit of an awkward discussion, but...when was the last time you seriously tasted the difference between a $60 bottle of scotch, and a $200+ scotch like, oh I don't know, Balvenie 21? And I mean a, "this was totally worth paying another $$$$+ for" difference.

I used to love Highland Park 12 at a little over $50 - nice balance between Islay and Speyside styles - and I could barely taste the difference between that, and the 18-year at about $120 that I bought once. That's when I realized the 'tasting' thing was mostly a farce, and that the law of diminishing returns is true for at least 95% of the public.
    Michigan Tech: "Working with scraps and guys from places so remote that Houghton seems like a metropolis"

This might be a bit of an awkward discussion, but...when was the last time you seriously tasted the difference between a $60 bottle of scotch, and a $200+ scotch like, oh I don't know, Balvenie 21? And I mean a, "this was totally worth paying another $$$$+ for" difference.

I used to love Highland Park 12 at a little over $50 - nice balance between Islay and Speyside styles - and I could barely taste the difference between that, and the 18-year at about $120 that I bought once. That's when I realized the 'tasting' thing was mostly a farce, and that the law of diminishing returns is true for at least 95% of the public.
    Anything more than a 20~ YO is just dIck-swinging from ALL I have heard. I'd guess probably more than 15 overall. And yes, the Balvenie 21 I bought on that excursion was just a "go big or go home" move. Gave me an excuse to spend the money. However, to the original argument, you taste Jack D and then take a taste of say, Woodford Double Barrel, you WILL taste the difference. You taste J Walker Scotch, and then taste Balvenie whatever (really, the age doesn't matter) and you WILL taste the difference.

Lucia Apologist

I own a bottle of balvenie 30 and have had dozens, maybe a hundred, of other whiskeys. Thereís an ocean of difference between the 30 and everything else Balvenies. Same thing with high end bourbon. You can easily taste the difference between a bottle of Jim and a bottle of Bookerís. And you can easily taste the difference between Bookerís and a bottle of Stagg.

Some are worth it. Others arenít. Would I buy a bottle of Balvenie 30 again? Maybe. But itís about more than taste. Itís about sharing something great sometimes. Why do we buy diamonds on engagement rings when zirconias look fairly similar? Why do we buy luxury cars? Why do we buy stressless furniture instead of la-z-boy? Why go to the symphony when you can hear a cat baying at the moon?

Itís about refinement. Even when we enjoy the symphony, it still takes time and practice to be able to hear the piccolo over everything else. Would the symphony be the same without the piccolo? Probably. But is the chamber orchestra the same as a full symphony? Nope. Is it worth paying that much extra? I donít know. Depends on how much you like music.

Anything more than a 20~ YO is just dIck-swinging from ALL I have heard.
    I think that's probably 98% accurate.

However, to the original argument, you taste Jack D and then take a taste of say, Woodford Double Barrel, you WILL taste the difference. You taste J Walker Scotch, and then taste Balvenie whatever (really, the age doesn't matter) and you WILL taste the difference.
    We agree, to a point. Some will taste a slight difference, and be unimpressed, whereas the majority may *gasp* not notice anything, or if they do, dislike it.

I'll concur with you, they're morons. But...hey, I was never a cheap drunk.

Some of us, will notice the difference in that $25-50 range. Major value to be found there, IMO.

I own a bottle of balvenie 30 and have had dozens, maybe a hundred, of other whiskeys. Thereís an ocean of difference between the 30 and everything else Balvenies. Same thing with high end bourbon. You can easily taste the difference between a bottle of Jim and a bottle of Bookerís. And you can easily taste the difference between Bookerís and a bottle of Stagg.

Some are worth it. Others arenít. Would I buy a bottle of Balvenie 30 again? Maybe. But itís about more than taste. Itís about sharing something great sometimes. Why do we buy diamonds on engagement rings when zirconias look fairly similar? Why do we buy luxury cars? Why do we buy stressless furniture instead of la-z-boy? Why go to the symphony when you can hear a cat baying at the moon?

Itís about refinement. Even when we enjoy the symphony, it still takes time and practice to be able to hear the piccolo over everything else. Would the symphony be the same without the piccolo? Probably. But is the chamber orchestra the same as a full symphony? Nope. Is it worth paying that much extra? I donít know. Depends on how much you like music.
    I'm starting to understand now. Like comparing Sioux hockey to gopher hockey. They're both college hockey, but . . .

Quote Originally Posted by ericredaxe View Post
    Christmas Eve with Sip of Sunshine from Lawson’s Finest Liquids.

Truly one of Vermont’s best IPAs.

Merry Christmas to all!
    SOS is being Brewed by Two Roads in Stratford CT. Market is flooded down here now, even my local watering hole has it on tap. It doesn't stop some unscrupulous packy owners from still trying to sell it for $5 a can.
    Last edited by LTsatch; 12-29-2017 at 07:01 AM.
    YALE HOCKEY
    2013 National Champions

Math atheist

Cool. If you want the BCS, it's Strong Liquor on Cedar Lake Road, near Hopkins Crossroad. You can seriously buy a case. If asked, just say I sent ya.
    I need some for my BIL. Please.

Lucia Apologist

And they are out. Or at least the manager didnít want to sell it. They had three left in inventory according to the cashier. :-/

And they are out. Or at least the manager didnít want to sell it. They had three left in inventory according to the cashier. :-/
    Some stores will do that. They hold it for their regular customers and turn away the newbs and truck chasers.

Thread Information