Drinking Thread: Three Sheets To The Wind

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Drinking Thread: Three Sheets To The Wind

Made myself a coffee yesterday and soon got inundated with requests for the same.

Coffee

A bit of (Pendleton) whiskey. .5 to 1 oz

A bit of Kahlua. .5 to 1 oz

A bit more of Irish Cream. 1 to 1.5 oz

Yum!

I don't think Irish whiskey would be good in this due to the slight sour/bitter nature of it.

Bourbon might work but I don't like bourbon, so I'll never know.

The whiskey is key to cut the syrup/sweet of the other two, especially the Kahlua on the syrup front.

Comment

Subscribed
      Code:
      As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
      College Hockey 6       College Football 0
      BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
      Originally posted by SanTropez
      May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
      Originally posted by bigblue_dl
      I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
      Originally posted by Kepler
      When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
      He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

On day two of the 12 Days of Scotchmas

My buddy and his wife have been doing a scotch tasting for about eight years now. This year they added a second event where you buy in for $50 and get 12 sample bottles of really high end scotch.

So far we’ve had Cardhu 12 and Aberlour 16. So good.
        Code:
        As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
        College Hockey 6       College Football 0
        BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
        Originally posted by SanTropez
        May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
        Originally posted by bigblue_dl
        I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
        Originally posted by Kepler
        When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
        He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

For you Chicago area folks (dunno how far they reach into WI; they get to MN):

Off Color Dino S'Mores. Excellent beer. $20/4 pack here....RIS with marshmallow, vanilla beans, molasses, graham flour, and cocoa nibs.

Yeah.
          Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
          Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
            For you Chicago area folks (dunno how far they reach into WI; they get to MN):

Off Color Dino S'Mores. Excellent beer. $20/4 pack here....RIS with marshmallow, vanilla beans, molasses, graham flour, and cocoa nibs.

Yeah.

Why don't you guys just have specialty martinis with the rest of the ladies?

Seriously. Pansies.

Comment

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post

Seriously. Pansies.

While I'm having 2 fingers of High West Bourbon, bought for $21/bottle, and not bought at Total Wine. That's a steal.
              Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

Seriously. Pansies.

It's time to call Emperor's New Clothes on the whole scotch, rye, bourbon, brandy, whiskey scam. It's gasoline. Nobody in history has enjoyed it. The chicks are right. The men who swallow it (literally) are just engaged in a very expensive game of conspicuous consumption and sophisticate posturing.
                Cornell University
                National Champion 1967, 1970
                ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                  It's time to call Emperor's New Clothes on the whole scotch, rye, bourbon, brandy, whiskey scam. It's gasoline. Nobody in history has enjoyed it. The chicks are right. The men who swallow it (literally) are just engaged in a very expensive game of conspicuous consumption and sophisticate posturing.
                  Troll alert.

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post

I notice that you excluded rum.

Agreed.

Comment

Funny thing is that the vast, vast, VAST majority of time that I have anything straight is at home. Alone or with just a buddy or two or the wife.

Hardly trying to impress anyone in those instances.

I have good things in my collection and buying them out at a restaurant or bar makes no sense as a pour is often at least $8-$12, even for the good stuff let alone the excellent stuff.

A bottle of that "good" stuff might cost $35-$45.

I can't stomach paying that much of a markup when I have it (or an equivalent or superior) on the shelf at home.

The very rare occasion that I will pay for a pour out is when it's something that is highly rated and I want to try it just once or to see if I want to buy a whole bottle.

Beyond that, Crown and Coke – coz bars rarely have anything decent for a rum mixer – is actually pretty snooty in a lot of places. Even had a bar wench tell me once that it's too good for a mixer.

Crown? Regular Crown?

You think I'm drinking that straight?

B_tch, please.

Comment

Scotch though?

Yeah… don't get it.

At.

All.

I understand nuance and different notes. I can point to them in rum, whiskey and even some tequila.

Can't get past the astringency to enjoy them in Scotch though.

Comment

I notice that you excluded rum.

Agreed.

Yes. You drink rum for enjoyment. You drink vodka to get drunk. You drink gin to have something to do with your hands while you're trying to outkick your coverage.
                          Cornell University
                          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Hardly trying to impress anyone in those instances.
                            Oh, those are the most extreme cases, because you're trying to impress yourself. That's what Dr. Eliot's Five-Foot Shelf of Books is for.
                            Cornell University

Comment

On the cost of a pour subject…

Was out to dinner with a group last year before a hs hockey game at a sports bar that had a liquor list.

Saw Pyrat on there and really nothing else to get with a mixer and it's low end acceptable to even decent, so myself and the other two dads each had a couple with our meals.

Didn't bother to ask how much as a bottle is $20. Figured 5-7 bucks.

The menu only said "Pyrat."

Turns out it was Pyrat Cask 1623.

We get our bills and are charged $25 for each rum and Coke.

Excuse me? There must be a mistake here. That's when we find out which Pyrat it is.

I've had the 1623 before and have even looked at it in stores where it goes for over $200 a bottle.

First off… I'd never mix that with anything. Second… I'd never buy a $25 rum and Coke.

Can't believe that the bartender didn't tell the server to go back and make sure that was what we wanted and what we wanted to do with it.

We ended up getting them for maybe $8 each.

I've seen it on menus for $60 a pour for some crazy reason as it's not worth that, so even $25 would have been a decent deal if I had wanted it.

Of course wouldn't pay that as I have far superior and less expensive rums at home.

Comment

Oh yeah... and I bet their liquor menu has been updated/edited since our visit.

Comment

Working...
                                X