Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Drinking Thread: Three Sheets To The Wind

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
    Of course wouldn't pay that as I have far superior and less expensive rums at home.
    I really like Pyrat. What do you have that is both better and cheaper? Mount Gay?

To be fair I'm a piker who has had only 3 or 4 of these. But I love highest quality rums.
    Cornell University
    National Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

I was referring to the 1623 when saying that I had less expensive and better rums.

On the higher end and at a reasonable $100 a bottle…

Diplomatico Single Vintage 2000

Dictador XO Insolent

The 1623 is quite tasty but lacks depth. It's like a sweet nectar.

Both of the above that I pointed out are silky smooth but have depth.

Too many to mention under $50 are better imo also.

Pyrat 1623 isn't worth it nor is it rum-like in the traditional sense of aged rum.

The regular Pyrat is acceptable as a high end mixer. I've owned a few bottles but don't stock it anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
        engaged in a very expensive game of conspicuous consumption and sophisticate posturing.
        'Twas ever thus with wine and liquor snobs. You can't tell me that the Master Court of Sommeliers isn't just an elaborate, Scientology-like Ponzi scheme whereby you pay to sit an "exam" judged by bullsh*tters, who judge the bullsh*t you use to describe a wine, and then decide together whether or not it's as good or better than their bullsh*t.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
          You can't tell me that the Master Court of Sommeliers isn't just an elaborate, Scientology-like Ponzi scheme whereby you pay to sit an "exam" judged by bullsh*tters, who judge the bullsh*t you use to describe a wine, and then decide together whether or not it's as good or better than their bullsh*t.
          You should watch Sour Grapes. It's hysterically funny -- you'll be rooting for the con artist all the way.
          Cornell University
          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Craft beer is becoming quite the scam on this front...

It sounds like Brent and others have their sources figured out... Down by me, many smaller shops & stores are forming V.I.P. clubs/Membership programs. You need to be a member of those to have any shot at some of the rarer stuff (most recently Founders CBS). You're basically paying $50-100/year for the right to get to the front of the line for this stuff. And you still need to line up. Nothing is guaranteed.

It's quite frustrating as someone who only buys regular beer once every 3-5 weeks (small $20-30 purchase). Been told a few times that I don't spend enough to warrant any kind of special privileges. I guess the shops I frequent have guys that are at the tap 2-3 days/week and regularly walking out with $50+ purchases just as often. Kinda frustrating for someone who enjoys sampling beer, but can't dedicate a small mortgage to the hobby...
            It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

Originally posted by RaceBoarder View Post
              Craft beer is becoming quite the scam on this front...

It sounds like Brent and others have their sources figured out... Down by me, many smaller shops & stores are forming V.I.P. clubs/Membership programs. You need to be a member of those to have any shot at some of the rarer stuff (most recently Founders CBS). You're basically paying $50-100/year for the right to get to the front of the line for this stuff. And you still need to line up. Nothing is guaranteed.

It's quite frustrating as someone who only buys regular beer once every 3-5 weeks (small $20-30 purchase). Been told a few times that I don't spend enough to warrant any kind of special privileges. I guess the shops I frequent have guys that are at the tap 2-3 days/week and regularly walking out with $50+ purchases just as often. Kinda frustrating for someone who enjoys sampling beer, but can't dedicate a small mortgage to the hobby...

There are lotteries here for special/limited release liquor - most often bourbon, Scotch or whiskey.

Usually nothing I'm interested in, but understand your pain.

Comment

Kep - I've had 10 of the 14 from that list.

Haven't had Parce, but have been eyeballing it for a few years and may grab a bottle eventually.

Haven't had Clement XO although have had the next step down of Clement. I don't care for Agricole style rums, so likely never will have the XO.

The lower end Havana Club that I tried was all hype – just more Bacardi imo. Doesn't inspire me to try any of the others in the line.

I think they tacked the Samaroli on to have an expensive one on the list. Never heard of it.

Of the others… the ones that I have had… the best values is the Diplo Reserva Exclusiva. Would be a good deal at $70. It's outstanding.

The Plantation 20 is quite good and my entry into sipping rum many years ago. It's a bit sweet for my palate these days but I still keep a bottle around.

ST 1796 is good too - need to get another bottle someday.

Overrateds are Flor de Cana 18 and Zacapa XO.

I've never warmed up to the Brugal line.

The Real McCoy is average at best and has a stupid name.

Mt. Gay XO – I think the Black Barrel is better but I don't like MG much anymore. They had a Sugar Cane Rum that I loved as a mixer back in the day, but it's long discontinued.

El Dorado 25 – the 12 is better and a whole lot less expensive.

Appleton 21 - the 12 is better and a whole lot less expensive.

Comment

Everyday sippers for $60 or less that I keep on hand are…

Dictador 20
                  Diplomatico Reserva Exclusiva
                  Matusalem 18
                  Plantation 20
                  El Dorado 12
                  Don Pancho 8

I have many other rums on hand and have had even more rums that I don't currently have on hand.

The above is my go to core though.

The Dictador Insolent and Diplomatico SV 2000 are for special occasions only – not every day.

For high(er) end mixers, I usually have the following on hand as I like variety…

Plantation 5
                  Plantation Dark
                  Flor de Cana 7
                  El Dorado 5
                  Angostura 7

Alright... gotta get back to work.

Comment

Scotch though?

Yeah… don't get it.

At.

All.

I understand nuance and different notes. I can point to them in rum, whiskey and even some tequila.

Can't get past the astringency to enjoy them in Scotch though.
                    There is hardly any astringency in scotch. No more than beer, aged rum, or any other grain-based beverage. Certainly no more than a dry red wine. Are you sure you’re not confusing something else for astringency? I just don’t get that bitterness from scotch. Especially the big Speysides. Is it possible you’re just not a fan of peat or heavy char?
                    Code:
                    As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                    College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                    BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                    Originally posted by SanTropez
                    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                    Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                    I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                    Originally posted by Kepler
                    When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Kep - I've had 10 of the 14 from that list.

Haven't had Parce, but have been eyeballing it for a few years and may grab a bottle eventually.

Haven't had Clement XO although have had the next step down of Clement. I don't care for Agricole style rums, so likely never will have the XO.

The lower end Havana Club that I tried was all hype – just more Bacardi imo. Doesn't inspire me to try any of the others in the line.

I think they tacked the Samaroli on to have an expensive one on the list. Never heard of it.

Of the others… the ones that I have had… the best values is the Diplo Reserva Exclusiva. Would be a good deal at $70. It's outstanding.

The Plantation 20 is quite good and my entry into sipping rum many years ago. It's a bit sweet for my palate these days but I still keep a bottle around.

ST 1796 is good too - need to get another bottle someday.

Overrateds are Flor de Cana 18 and Zacapa XO.

I've never warmed up to the Brugal line.

The Real McCoy is average at best and has a stupid name.

Mt. Gay XO – I think the Black Barrel is better but I don't like MG much anymore. They had a Sugar Cane Rum that I loved as a mixer back in the day, but it's long discontinued.

El Dorado 25 – the 12 is better and a whole lot less expensive.

Appleton 21 - the 12 is better and a whole lot less expensive.
                      Thank you for taking the time for all of this.
                      Cornell University

Comment

It's time to call Emperor's New Clothes on the whole scotch, rye, bourbon, brandy, whiskey scam. It's gasoline. Nobody in history has enjoyed it. The chicks are right. The men who swallow it (literally) are just engaged in a very expensive game of conspicuous consumption and sophisticate posturing.
                        Bzzzzzzzzzt

Brent is right. You’re just trolling.
                        Code:
                        As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                        College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                        BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                        Originally posted by SanTropez
                        May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                        Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                        I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                        Originally posted by Kepler
                        When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                        He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

You should watch Sour Grapes. It's hysterically funny -- you'll be rooting for the con artist all the way.
                          I watched Somm several years ago. I laughed so hard at the end when the main guy that everyone said was sooooo smart and such a great taster "failed", and didn't get promoted to Master (and laughed even harder when the pre-credits revealed that he'd re-taken it the following year and "passed" - IIRC, it costs $5,000 to sit the MS exam each time).

It's all a bunch of baloney.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                            I watched Somm several years ago. I laughed so hard at the end when the main guy that everyone said was sooooo smart and such a great taster "failed", and didn't get promoted to Master (and laughed even harder when the pre-credits revealed that he'd re-taken it the following year and "passed" - IIRC, it costs $5,000 to sit the MS exam each time).

It's all a bunch of baloney.
                            Somm was really good. I genuinely had affection for some of them. It is, of course, all nonsense.
                            Cornell University

Comment

I have one store that I've been going to for the past 10 years, mom and pop shop, only have one location. That helps, a LOT.

I window shop, also a LOT, talk up clerks, get the feel for the store, often walk out without buying anything. Just shop-talk has snagged me some nice prizes over the years.

Any brewery I hit, I talk up the staff, find their history/purpose in the business/plans for the future. Oftentimes, they are more than happy to indulge, because I honestly care about that stuff. The bonus is their releases coming out/etc.

Finally, yes, word-of-mouth sources, like on here (and GPL has a similar thread). Get notified about where to find what, at what date, etc. Got a tip a couple weeks ago about an indie store that carries two breweries that have a very small distribution (due to no distributor, they have to do it themselves). I make a point to ask about the next releases and such. Scored some nice shelfies that I can't get at "my store."

Edit: as for whiskey in general, I've paid $60/pour for a scotch, found out later the bottle was WORTH about $3K (owner bought it for much less, so charged much less), $25/pour for a Yamazaki 18, which you will NOT find in stores (too rare, bottle is about $300 last I heard), and a couple $25-30/pour scotches at the same place I got the $60/pour one.

Generally, I don't buy pours at places, though. I just buy the dang bottle at a store.
                              Last edited by The Rube; 12-28-2017, 10:26 PM.
                              Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                              Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Raceboarder: missed the CBS part of your post. There's a store here, NOT Total Wine, that has about 2 cases of CBS, no limit that I saw, as of last night. $25/per bomber. Initial rush is over, now you're seeing the inventory of stores that bought a crapload, expecting it to be KBS/BCS/whatever.
                                Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                                Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Working...
                                X