Page 1 of 18 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Drinking Thread: Three Sheets To The Wind

Drinking Thread: Three Sheets To The Wind

Re: aging:

I did not mis-represent your comments, DX. In fact, I showed them the post(s) in question; they all had read the article also. And you accusing me of "crying to Armadillo" is pretty funny.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Re: Drinking Thread: Three Sheets To The Wind

Age anything with a cork on its side, for sure. Or else you risk the cork drying out and the seal being lost.

I age my beer with caps upright, mostly just because that is what the shelves I have make easiest. I figure its going to oxidize either way, and that's just part of aging. I'm more interested in the actions of residual yeast of live beers over time than oxidation.
    Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Math atheist

I donít intentionally age my beers. I just buy too much and drink too little, or wait for a reason to drink.

Quote Originally Posted by melmac View Post
    I donít intentionally age my beers. I just buy too much and drink too little, or wait for a reason to drink.
    This.

Capt

This is the same for me. Plus, no cellar's in Florida

Quote Originally Posted by hockeyplayer1015 View Post
    This is the same for me. Plus, no cellar's in Florida
    You can use a fridge, but it will just age slower, since it's colder than a cellar.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Capt

Quote Originally Posted by Brenthoven View Post
    You can use a fridge, but it will just age slower, since it's colder than a cellar.
    Ya, that's where my "storage" is. Slowly reducing the supply so I can go get some new stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by hockeyplayer1015 View Post
    Ya, that's where my "storage" is. Slowly reducing the supply so I can go get some new stuff.
    That's kind of what I have going on, since I need, you know, food and stuff.

I have a section of "aging" beers, beers I would could drink whenever (age or not, depends on my mood), then my "walkin' around beers" (stuff that I'll just drink), and right now a little section of beers I'm holding onto for people. In this case, bbdl (I have 5 bottles for him, currently).

For you MNs, Clown Shoes Itasca Loonidragon Part 2 just came out. They added cocoa nibs for Part 2. It's tasty. MN exclusive, of course.

He fixes the cable?
    Quote Originally Posted by bigblue_dl View Post
    I figure its going to oxidize either way, and that's just part of aging. I'm more interested in the actions of residual yeast of live beers over time than oxidation.
    This is what I've heard, and when you think about it makes the most sense. I don't think either side is wrong in regards to oxidation.

I haven't aged many beers, mostly because I don't really have the funds to buy enough of them to make it a worthwhile hobby for me. I buy beer and drink the dang beer.

I've read up and researched beer plenty though, eagerly awaiting the moment when I can begin the ridiculous obsession that it no doubt will be with me. I like the school of thought that says "Vertical v Horizontal: Age two of the same beer, one in each direction. Which did you like more? Do that." Exception being corks, as you stated.

Corked is a good point. I'm actually afraid of aging corked beers for that reason. Conflicting storage methods. Cork (wine, traditionally) vs capped (vertical).

Did pick up a Dogfish Head 120 IPA tonight, on the way to Biddy's shindig. Sat a few months at the store, and ended up talking with the manager about beer. He noticed my purchase, and admitted he wondered who would buy it. Tasted amazing. Unfortunately, he's either a bad manager or has bad reps, because he knowingly has old beer on his shelves (too old). Here's a hint: a wheat beer on a warm shelf will not taste good after 2-3 years.

And this is a fairly big name store in these parts. I won't out them completely, but it's in the area of 63rd and Boone, for the locals.

Waiting for the Snow to fly...
    South Chicago Burbs... For now anyways...

Autumnal Molť Stout by Ska Brewing.

Different. Never really had a beer with any kind of heat. You can really smell the peppers. The pepper flavor comes on at the end though. The heat just builds and it's all there for the finish. Very interesting. Probably not something I'd seek out regularly, but it's a very unique flavor profile.

Not impressed by Ska. For pepper beers try Dragon's Milk Chiles if you can find it. Thai Chili Wahoo by Ballast Point is solid, too.

Math atheist

Started today with some RumChata in my coffee, followed by a Bellís Arabicadabra with breakfast. Atwaterís Raspberry VJP and some Rubaeus while putting together the cinnamon roll dough. Nice glass of cab with dinner. Samís chocolate bock to finish off this evening.

More of the same tomorrow...

Started today with some RumChata in my coffee, followed by a Bellís Arabicadabra with breakfast. Atwaterís Raspberry VJP and some Rubaeus while putting together the cinnamon roll dough. Nice glass of cab with dinner. Samís chocolate bock to finish off this evening.

More of the same tomorrow...
    That Arabicadabra is pretty good. Can't find it anymore. Pretty sure it would be a considered a "shelfie whale."

Veteran

Christmas Eve with Sip of Sunshine from Lawsonís Finest Liquids.

Truly one of Vermontís best IPAs.

Merry Christmas to all!

Gurtholfin

Made myself a coffee yesterday and soon got inundated with requests for the same.

Coffee

A bit of (Pendleton) whiskey. .5 to 1 oz

A bit of Kahlua. .5 to 1 oz

A bit more of Irish Cream. 1 to 1.5 oz

Yum!

I don't think Irish whiskey would be good in this due to the slight sour/bitter nature of it.

Bourbon might work but I don't like bourbon, so I'll never know.

The whiskey is key to cut the syrup/sweet of the other two, especially the Kahlua on the syrup front.

Lucia Apologist

Subscribed

Lucia Apologist

On day two of the 12 Days of Scotchmas

My buddy and his wife have been doing a scotch tasting for about eight years now. This year they added a second event where you buy in for $50 and get 12 sample bottles of really high end scotch.

So far weíve had Cardhu 12 and Aberlour 16. So good.

For you Chicago area folks (dunno how far they reach into WI; they get to MN):

Off Color Dino S'Mores. Excellent beer. $20/4 pack here....RIS with marshmallow, vanilla beans, molasses, graham flour, and cocoa nibs.

Yeah.

Gurtholfin

Quote Originally Posted by Brenthoven View Post
    For you Chicago area folks (dunno how far they reach into WI; they get to MN):

Off Color Dino S'Mores. Excellent beer. $20/4 pack here....RIS with marshmallow, vanilla beans, molasses, graham flour, and cocoa nibs.

Yeah.

Why don't you guys just have specialty martinis with the rest of the ladies?

Seriously. Pansies.

Thread Information