Drinking Thread: Three Sheets To The Wind

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Drinking Thread: Three Sheets To The Wind

Oberon. It's simple, and it gets the job done for tonight.
    Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
    "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
    Patreon for exclusive writing content
    Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
      IALTO.

Seriously, though, that IS a big dent.
      Not for Omar and the mint he built. He paid for the construction of that brewery in a few months, and that was like 40M. 2.5M will barely be noticed. For 2 years that place has been packed, with a wait list almost every night, and it seats something like 200 people.
      Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

To answer Ewe's question. If you want a beer, and just a beer, there are few places I'd recommend over the rest, and for different reasons.

First, Surly is on that list, because it is simply the most impressive, well designed, and built beer hall taprooms in the state. If MN has a temple for beer, it is Surly. Sure, there are some issues there, mostly, IMO, to do with losing so much brewing talent, but overall still well worth a visit. I do recommend at least getting an appetizer there, try the Hog Frites, they're to die for.

Second, Dangerous Man is a small neighborhood brewery that does not distribute. All of their beer is really well done, and they're quite popular, but it is a smaller neighborhood joint (in Northeast Minneapolis), so the vibe is completely different than Surly. The place is a hipster mecca, so just a warning, be prepared for neckbeards and soccer fans. But, all in all, the beer is good, the taproom is cool, and it is worth a visit.

Third, Barrel Theory was just named the best new brewery in the country by USA Today. This is a place that was planned for out pre-game pub crawl on Saturday, and even though the plans shifted a bit due to Meg's interference, we are still planning on visiting BT pregame, and you are welcome to join. It is in St. Paul, on the opposite end of downtown from the arena. BT is already producing some of, if not the best, fruited sours in the state, and they're killing it in the juicy hazy IPA department. They also usually have an awesome stout or 2 on tap. Highly recommend, as this is one the best, high upside, elite new breweries in the entire country. (This is where some of that previously mentioned beer talent that Surly lost ended up, they're making world-class beer at BT now)

Fourth, Wild Mind is a brewery that is devoted to wild cultured yeasts, open fermentation and wood aging. They're in south Minneapolis. If you like funky, wild ales, similar to what Hill Farmstead does, or Jester King, this place is in the same vain, just not as mature as those more famous breweries, and therefore less refined. The beer is still very good though, you just have to appreciate that style of beer, and it isn't for everyone.

Those would be the 4 breweries from the Twin Cities that I would say are at the top of my "must visit" list for out-of-towners, and they're all there for different reasons. Should be something for any beer lover among that group of 4.
        Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
          To answer Ewe's question. If you want a beer, and just a beer, there are few places I'd recommend over the rest, and for different reasons.

First, Surly is on that list, because it is simply the most impressive, well designed, and built beer hall taprooms in the state. If MN has a temple for beer, it is Surly. Sure, there are some issues there, mostly, IMO, to do with losing so much brewing talent, but overall still well worth a visit. I do recommend at least getting an appetizer there, try the Hog Frites, they're to die for.

Second, Dangerous Man is a small neighborhood brewery that does not distribute. All of their beer is really well done, and they're quite popular, but it is a smaller neighborhood joint (in Northeast Minneapolis), so the vibe is completely different than Surly. The place is a hipster mecca, so just a warning, be prepared for neckbeards and soccer fans. But, all in all, the beer is good, the taproom is cool, and it is worth a visit.

Third, Barrel Theory was just named the best new brewery in the country by USA Today. This is a place that was planned for out pre-game pub crawl on Saturday, and even though the plans shifted a bit due to Meg's interference, we are still planning on visiting BT pregame, and you are welcome to join. It is in St. Paul, on the opposite end of downtown from the arena. BT is already producing some of, if not the best, fruited sours in the state, and they're killing it in the juicy hazy IPA department. They also usually have an awesome stout or 2 on tap. Highly recommend, as this is one the best, high upside, elite new breweries in the entire country. (This is where some of that previously mentioned beer talent that Surly lost ended up, they're making world-class beer at BT now)

Fourth, Wild Mind is a brewery that is devoted to wild cultured yeasts, open fermentation and wood aging. They're in south Minneapolis. If you like funky, wild ales, similar to what Hill Farmstead does, or Jester King, this place is in the same vain, just not as mature as those more famous breweries, and therefore less refined. The beer is still very good though, you just have to appreciate that style of beer, and it isn't for everyone.

Those would be the 4 breweries from the Twin Cities that I would say are at the top of my "must visit" list for out-of-towners, and they're all there for different reasons. Should be something for any beer lover among that group of 4.
          Are these places that can be done in one evening? We’re looking at going on a beer hunt on Friday.
          I was told there would be no math...

Comment

Originally posted by melmac View Post
            Are these places that can be done in one evening? We’re looking at going on a beer hunt on Friday.
            They're not all that close to each other, I probably wouldn't try to do all in one evening, you'd be driving all the way across the cities. You can skip BT on Friday, and go on Saturday though, if you want.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

They're not all that close to each other, I probably wouldn't try to do all in one evening, you'd be driving all the way across the cities. You can skip BT on Friday, and go on Saturday though, if you want.
              Thanks. So many new places since I left.

Also, what the hell is the plan for the weekend? No one lets me know anything...

Comment

Thanks. So many new places since I left.

Also, what the hell is the plan for the weekend? No one lets me know anything...
                I don't think I have your email address...so I didn't email you guys. Send me your address and I'll forward the info, and get you in the loop.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Just had a back to back (with IPA pallette cleanse) 2015 vs. 2018 KBS. The 2015 was significantly better. Age your BA Stouts, children.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Just had a back to back (with IPA pallette cleanse) 2015 vs. 2018 KBS. The 2015 was significantly better. Age your BA Stouts, children.
                    For the second year in a row, the KBS has come off as NOT boozy. Got a four-pack on Fri (quoth the clerk: limit is two, but forgot, for you it's four ). Definitely aging the other 3 bottles for the fun of it.

Agree on bbdl's reviews on the breweries. I think DM is a *little* overrated, but only slightly. BT is so on point it's sick. The one time I went there (have had other beers from them outside the brewery) my quote was "Even the styles I don't like, I liked."

I'd also recommend Indeed in Mpls. Really cool space, good variety of styles. And I'd also put up Flat Earth Brewing, AWESOME space, and very good beer.
                    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Tasting the 2015 and 2018 back to back, the 2018 tasted boozy.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Really? I thought it hit the marshmallow stage off the bat this year, like last year. *shrug* different palettes I guess.
                        Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

I had a 17 last night and the 18 tonight. 18 was definitely boozy. Tasted better on tap.

We also tried the 17 and 15 Alaskan smoked porter tonight. So much smoke in the 17, but I liked it better than the 15. Didn’t get to the 13, though.

So much beer at the house right now...

Comment

I had a 17 last night and the 18 tonight. 18 was definitely boozy. Tasted better on tap.

We also tried the 17 and 15 Alaskan smoked porter tonight. So much smoke in the 17, but I liked it better than the 15. Didn’t get to the 13, though.

Pro-tip: Alaskan Smoked? That can go back 10 years, easy. For real. It's amazing.

Comment

Thanks to tCBG and 'ewe, I now have so much beer. They brought me goodies as a surprise. That being said, they are getting some goodies in return.

Hit up Barrel Theory tonight. That place really can't miss. Everything is so on point it's sick.

And a friend notified me today he wants to ditch his cellar (nothing too old, he just doesn't want to deal with it), but he does have last year's KBS (4pk) so, yeah I buying that off of him.

Comment

The Madison Taco Bell, on State Street, wanted to become a Cantina so they applied for a Beer/Wine license. It passed the Common Council, but was vetoed by Moonbeam Mayor Paul Sauglin. Now, Taco Bell the corporate entity is suing the city of Madison .

Taco Bell Suing Madison

Thoughts?

Edit:
                                /corrected Link
                                Last edited by MadTownSioux; 04-17-2018, 09:47 PM.
                                Fighting Sioux Forever

Comment

Working...
                                X