• Show
Clear All

Re: Star Wars VIII: The Last Jedi

"The Last Jedi was just a rehash of the original trilogy."

"We didn't see that in the original trilogy so where was it?"

Hmmmm...

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
      I'd like that. I think that's the way they need to handle it. And a big funeral onscreen would be a fitting tribute to Carrie.
      There will have to be a big time jump for the next film given the state of the resistance/rebels. I’m wondering how they’ll handle her death. I’d almost rather they don’t spend too much time on a send off for Leia in the next film. I’m guessing Chewie will die on screen.

Comment

Fanboys really are tearing it up out there.

I loved Ren's ascension, is he finishing what Vader started? No, now he's gone beyond that.

Rey's parents....Nobodies? It makes sense but I think Ren *may* know who they are or were and he lied to her. The books survived. I'd hazard a guess there may be the tracing of lineages in one or more of those books. It's possible Rey finds her parents that way.

Snoke - people are all up in arms over this. He's like Phasma or Boba Fett and even Palpatine in 4-6, not integral to the story. I'd love to find out Old Republic connections with him but ultimately this story is Ren's and Rey's. I may have said this earlier (I apologize if I'm belaboring the point) but when Snoke said "you're a child in a mask" or "you're just a child in a mask" I had a feeling that would come back to haunt him and it did. Ren and Rey are ultimately more powerful than Luke and Ben.

As for Leia...I thought her force power was being shown for the first time in a tangible way with her flying through space there. I thought it would have been a bridge to her using the force in battle in the next film but then she died unexpectedly....ugh...

I think Johnson did a great job in beginning to move away from the ESB/ANH model. It's up to JJ now to complete the break.

My major problems with the film:

Strike the line where Leia and Holdo suddenly agree they "love" Poe.

End the movie with the robes falling on the rock, period.

BB8 was prequel level joke in this one. Piloting at AT-ST? shooting coins at police? Eff all of that big time.

greater attention and money could have been spent on the sounds. the laser sounds in ANH and ESB are superior to every movie since then but that's nitpicking.

But, in the end, they didn't drag the film down for me. Are their incomplete stories? Yes. But ****....there's still one more movie to tie things up!
        Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

For a franchise of this stature, yes, fanboys will fanboy. I'm not surprised in the least.

BB8's antics didn't really bug me. He played the comedic part of C3P0/Jar Jar/whatever. It's become expected that a role like that will always be present in these movies.
          Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
          Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

I was expecting the movie to end as Luke walked through the door to face the First Order. I hadn't picked up on it just being a projection at that point. Now that we know the truth that would have been a terrible ending, but at the time...a Luke/Ben lightsaber fight to kick off IX would have been great.

Comment

Originally posted by ticapnews View Post
              I was expecting the movie to end as Luke walked through the door to face the First Order. I hadn't picked up on it just being a projection at that point. Now that we know the truth that would have been a terrible ending, but at the time...a Luke/Ben lightsaber fight to kick off IX would have been great.
              That would have been a great cliffhanger, for sure. Heads asploding everywhere with THAT ending.
              Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
              Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

First estimates place The Last Jedi opening weekend at $220 million. That number may fall or rise slightly when the Sunday actuals are calculated, but considering it was tracking for 200 and still bested it by 10% that's a huge success.

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                  That would have been a great cliffhanger, for sure. Heads asploding everywhere with THAT ending.
                  I’d be kind of disappointed with a trilogy that takes place entirely over the course of a few days.

Comment

I will say this, it was too long for what happened during it. At one point I thought they were actually going to show us the entire six hours of the chase.
                    the state of hockey is good

Comment

http://www.slashfilm.com/the-last-jedi-defense/

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Comment

https://www.avclub.com/part-kurosawa...1821291545/amp

Comment

https://screenrant.com/star-wars-las...disappointing/

Answering the 10 most disappointed things from the film. Which apparently comes from people who don't get the movie.

10. Snoke's identity is irrelevant to the films.
                          9. Rey's parents are irrelevant to the films.
                          8. Luke doesn't care about the lightsaber because the lightsaber is irrelevant to the films. The force matters here. Nothing more, nothing less.
                          7. The Knights of Ren? Really. Never noticed. It's obviously not integral to the plot so why do we care?
                          6. Gee, things don't always go right for the good guys? No ****.
                          5. Leia's use of the force was awesome. Integral to the film. And incredible. Perfectly executed and portrayed.
                          4. The Jedi texts aren't important. Yoda taught us that years ago.
                          3. Quit whining about Captain Phasma. Bit character.
                          2. The Crait battle was perfectly executed. More whining.
                          1. The Final Scene made the film. Luke did exactly what he needed to do just like Ben before him. No one understood more than Luke what Ren is and where he is going. Luke could see in Vader and see that he could be redeemed. He also could see that Ren is completing the Skywalker legacy and cannot. The ascension, Leia's spacewalk, and Luke's final act are the film and they were all fantastic. To complete the films Ren has to cement what it means for him to have ascended and what Rey does with that will determine the trilogy's overall fate with Star Wars fans.
                          **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                          Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Answering the 10 most disappointed things from the film. Which apparently comes from people who don't get the movie.

8. Luke doesn't care about the lightsaber because the lightsaber is irrelevant to the films. The force matters here. Nothing more, nothing less.
                            7. The Knights of Ren? Really. Never noticed. It's obviously not integral to the plot so why do we care?
                            5. Leia's use of the force was awesome. Integral to the film. And incredible. Perfectly executed and portrayed.
                            1. The Final Scene made the film. Luke did exactly what he needed to do just like Ben before him. No one understood more than Luke what Ren is and where he is going. Luke could see in Vader and see that he could be redeemed. He also could see that Ren is completing the Skywalker legacy and cannot. The ascension, Leia's spacewalk, and Luke's final act are the film and they were all fantastic. To complete the films Ren has to cement what it means for him to have ascended and what Rey does with that will determine the trilogy's overall fate with Star Wars fans.

we get it. you loved it.

some of us didn't. I think it's far superior to the prequels, but there are things I am disappointed about in regards to the new trilogy. That's my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by BassAle View Post
                              we get it. you loved it.

some of us didn't. I think it's far superior to the prequels, but there are things I am disappointed about in regards to the new trilogy. That's my opinion.
                              Buddy reminded me today that people hated Empire when it was released. Now it's the gold standard.
                              **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                              Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

I couldn't agree more.

Vanity Fair has an article that addresses the sort of bi-polar fanbase. Ultimately both critic and detractors may soften with time and repeated viewings but who cares. I'l be in a minority here and say the final act including Ren's ascension pushes the movie to ESB level greatness.

Comment

Working...
                                X