Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Star Wars VIII: The Last Jedi

I added some more. solovsfett. SPOILER

Rey is the Last Jedi. Luke said so. She also took the books from the island. And Yoda said as much when he appeared. This is what I think they are doing.

They threw canon out the window by saying 4-5-6 are it (JJ Abrams said this). And maybe 3.5. 4,5,6 never said Sith. There was no explanation for the Darth name, etc. I'm not sure it sits well with me either. But it does open some interesting storylines. Jedi is a religion. Sith is a religion. The Force is not a religion. It's God (so to speak). Thus there could be many religions on either side. SITH and JEDI just happen to be two of them. Opens things up considerably.
    Last edited by ScoobyDoo; 12-15-2017, 11:38 AM.
    **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
    Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
      I added some more. solovsfett. SPOILER

Rey is the Last Jedi. Luke said so. She also took the books from the island. And Yoda said as much when he appeared. This is what I think they are doing.

They threw canon out the window by saying 4-5-6 are it (JJ Abrams said this). And maybe 3.5. 4,5,6 never said Sith. There was no explanation for the Darth name, etc. I'm not sure it sits well with me either. But it does open some interesting storylines. Jedi is a religion. Sith is a religion. The Force is not a religion. It's God (so to speak). Thus there could be many religions on either side. SITH and JEDI just happen to be two of them. Opens things up considerably.
      Excellent points...I missed the quote from Yoda....That scene I missed a couple of quotes, my hearing isn't what it used to be. Now that you say that it makes sense to me why the books were saved....I really like the idea of their being many religions based on the force and as you say that really opens things up (for the future and the past/old stories)...If you look on Rotten Tomatoes now the Last Jedi is 93% critics and 60% audience...this was a badly needed change in direction but it looks like the popcorn audience (after one night) isn't having it...
      Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

Spoiler thoughts
        First of all, I don't trust the audience scores on sites like RT. It is far too easy to manipulate the numbers and skew results. Look at the number of 1 votes films like The Godfather and Shawshank get on IMDB.

Luke doesn't say Rey is the last Jedi, does he? Ren says Luke is the last of the Jedi and Luke tells him he's wrong. Rey might very well pass on what she has learned (Yoda's most pivotal lesson) and will learn from the books. Perhaps her first padawan will be Broom Boy from the last scene of the movie.

Comment

Originally posted by ticapnews View Post
          Spoiler thoughts
          First of all, I don't trust the audience scores on sites like RT. It is far too easy to manipulate the numbers and skew results. Look at the number of 1 votes films like The Godfather and Shawshank get on IMDB.

Luke doesn't say Rey is the last Jedi, does he? Ren says Luke is the last of the Jedi and Luke tells him he's wrong. Rey might very well pass on what she has learned (Yoda's most pivotal lesson) and will learn from the books. Perhaps her first padawan will be Broom Boy from the last scene of the movie.
          Response.
          It was pretty obvious. Right after Luke tells Ren that they go to Rey moving the rocks so the resistance can get out of the cave. Yoda also says things about Rey that would only be true if she were a Jedi. Or, if you want to go more "open" about it a light force user. At least at this point. I'm still convinced she's going grey eventually.
          Last edited by ScoobyDoo; 12-15-2017, 02:57 PM.
          **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
            Response.
            It was pretty obvious. Right after Luke tells Ren that they go to Rey moving the rocks so the resistance can get out of the cave. Yoda also says things about Rey that would only be true if she were a Jedi. Or, if you want to go more "open" about it a light force user. At least at this point. I'm still convinced she's going grey eventually.
            Right, it means she is one, but it doesn't mean she's the LAST one. Misdirection was a huge part of the promotion for this film, and that includes the title. Snoke and Ren think Skywalker is the Last Jedi, but he isn't. It could be Rey, but nothing says it is - and that final scene with Broom Boy hints that there are more Force users out there who could join Rey.

Comment

Originally posted by ticapnews View Post
              Right, it means she is one, but it doesn't mean she's the LAST one. Misdirection was a huge part of the promotion for this film, and that includes the title. Snoke and Ren think Skywalker is the Last Jedi, but he isn't. It could be Rey, but nothing says it is - and that final scene with Broom Boy hints that there are more Force users out there who could join Rey.
              Response:

Too much parsing for me. In the context given it works.

Comment

B+

Liked that this movie mixed in some comic relief moments throughout. The General Hux ones really stand out in my mind.
                It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

Took the day off, had my annual physical this morning. While sitting in the waiting room, I checked on line to see if there were any late morning shows at the theater right by me. There were, and was able to get a single seat. Comfy, reclining chairs. Good movie. I liked it more than I thought I would. My only complaint was I felt if was just a little too long. I’m glad I saw on opening day. And I know there were many showings yesterday. 😀

Comment

I figured I would use my MoviePass to go see it again tonight but both cinemas near me were sold out for 6:30, 7:00 and 7:30 shows, and just about sold out for the late shows and you can't book more than 30 minutes ahead with MP. Luckily I already have tickets tomorrow morning.

Comment

I have to say while I loved Red Letter Media's takedown of TPM their recent takedown of Last Jedi was so awful and pretentious I had to stop watching 3 minutes in.

They have nothing new to add to the conversation anymore.
                      Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

Cinema Score polls people as they leave the theater after the movie so they can verify that person saw the movie and only votes once.

The Last Jedi gets an A.

Comment

Saw it last night. I like how they shuffled the deck a bit. I was disappointed with a few things, but it wasn't enough to keep me from enjoying the film. Better than VII, not as good as IV or V.
                          the state of hockey is good

Comment

After two viewings of TLJ there are just too many things wrong to push it past Empire. However, because of the heavy emotional impact and the overall quality of the film it is a close second.

Empire
                            TLJ
                            ANH
                            TFA
                            ROTJ
                            R1
                            RotS
                            TPM
                            AotC

That is my ranking. YMMV.

Comment

I’ll give it a B- or C+. Had a few plot issues. Second act was a bit weak.
                              I don’t want to say too much because I don’t want to have to mess with hiding spoilers from my phone.

Liked it better than The Force Awakens.

Comment

Note: because this is a dedicated thread, no need to white out spoilers.

Got the LAST seat for a 3pm showing today at a non-premium theater. Unfortunately, it was in the first row. Ugh. At least it was a seat.

1. I think Rey is a Kenobi. Han and Luke were ruled out, assuming that Kylo was telling the truth.
                                2. The kid in the last scene is Luke's son. It seemed to be an orphanage of sorts, and that would be a bit of history repeating itself.

I loved the movie. Loved it. However, to nitpick, borrowed a couple too many things from Empire. The obvious being the Hoth-like planet at the end.

I'll probably see it again, to pick up on any details I might have missed the first time around. I do like the direction that this is going, though.
                                Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                                Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Working...
                                X