Star Wars VIII: The Last Jedi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Star Wars VIII: The Last Jedi

So I haven't seen the film yet but my one friend I trust (who is taking me to see it when I get back from Mexico) said he liked it until he thought about it after the fact and now he loathes it. Said it looks awesome but the story is awful. He is usually pretty forgiving of properties he loves so it's interesting. He still hated Rogue One (or how to make a Star Wars film boring in two easy steps) more but he rated it quite low.

He left out the Luke spoilers but I read them elsewhere by accident and I can see why it is divisive amongst the fans. Very out of character.

I am looking forward to seeing it though to judge for myself. I like when directors take chances or make weird choices so I'm intrigued.
    "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
    -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
    -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
    -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
      So I haven't seen the film yet but my one friend I trust (who is taking me to see it when I get back from Mexico) said he liked it until he thought about it after the fact and now he loathes it. Said it looks awesome but the story is awful. He is usually pretty forgiving of properties he loves so it's interesting. He still hated Rogue One (or how to make a Star Wars film boring in two easy steps) more but he rated it quite low.

He left out the Luke spoilers but I read them elsewhere by accident and I can see why it is divisive amongst the fans. Very out of character.

I am looking forward to seeing it though to judge for myself. I like when directors take chances or make weird choices so I'm intrigued.
      There are some BLATANT similarities to Empire at the end I didn't like at all. Didn't even try to hide it, like New Hope/Rogue One; at least Rogue One dressed it up a LITTLE bit, but for me, that's nitpicking.
      Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
      Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post

The thing is Luke isn't the same person in his 60s as in his 20s. He has changed. A lot. I think one of the problems is that parts of the audience had the same expectation as Rey: he would come back and face down the entire First Order with his laser sword.

People we think are cool don't stay that way. Fonzie was awesome in his 20s, living above the Cunnngham's garage, double-dating the Polaski twins and hanging out in his "office" in the restroom at Arnold's. Who wants to see Fonzie at age 60?

Comment

Originally posted by ticapnews View Post
          The thing is Luke isn't the same person in his 60s as in his 20s. He has changed. A lot. I think one of the problems is that parts of the audience had the same expectation as Rey: he would come back and face down the entire First Order with his laser sword.

People we think are cool don't stay that way. Fonzie was awesome in his 20s, living above the Cunnngham's garage, double-dating the Polaski twins and hanging out in his "office" in the restroom at Arnold's. Who wants to see Fonzie at age 60?
          Fonzie is probably hitting up the craft breweries now, trying to hit the Touchtunes like back in the day, thinking he's all that. Pathetic.
          Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

I had no problem with the portrayal of Luke at 60.

Nerds gonna nerd, I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post

I stick to here and GPL for a franchise like this. Fanboys are insane. At least I can get some rational reviews here and there.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post

Me neither. Jaded old man. Made sense.
                the state of hockey is good

Comment

Both Yoda and Ben went off and hid too.

Luke wasn't exactly badarse in IV-VI. Was kind of soft and whiny most of time.

Comment

Both Yoda and Ben went off and hid too.

Luke wasn't exactly badarse in IV-VI. Was kind of soft and whiny most of time.
                    Ding. See Young Anakin in the newish ones.

Comment

Obi Wan was clearly the badass of the group. He wasn't the most powerful, but routinely "bent the rules" to get crap done.

Comment

Originally posted by state of hockey View Post
                        Obi Wan was clearly the badass of the group. He wasn't the most powerful, but routinely "bent the rules" to get crap done.
                        Yoda was close. Close. But overall, I'd say Ben ruled.

Comment

Ben was great at straddling the line between being respectful to the council and being a realist.

Would love a live action movie or series or trilogy of his (and Anakin's) exploits in the Clone Wars.

Comment

Ben was great at straddling the line between being respectful to the council and being a realist.

Would love a live action movie or series or trilogy of his (and Anakin's) exploits in the Clone Wars.
                            He.....lawyered his language, similar to Yoda, but better stated, if that makes sense.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post

Agreed. The animated series is good and all, but come on. This is probably something Disney is working on as well, I'd assume.

Oh, and if it does happen, bring back McGregor. I really liked him as Kenobi, especially in III.

Comment

Originally posted by state of hockey View Post
                                Agreed. The animated series is good and all, but come on. This is probably something Disney is working on as well, I'd assume.

Oh, and if it does happen, bring back McGregor. I really liked him as Kenobi, especially in III.
                                Yeah, that was NOT a fault in the movie at all. He carried Young Ben very well.

Comment

Working...
                                X