Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Star Wars VIII: The Last Jedi

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
    Luke wasn't exactly badarse in IV-VI. Was kind of soft and whiny most of time.
    Which made him real, as opposed to the one dimensional characters like Yoda (pure wisdom), Han (pure action), and Leia (pure goodness).

Luke is the only human being in a group of archetypal aliens. His successor in that role is Rey. Everybody else is just scenery.
    Cornell University
    National Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Both Yoda and Ben went off and hid too.

Luke wasn't exactly badarse in IV-VI. Was kind of soft and whiny most of time.
      Luke was a bad *** by VI. The first we see of him is a hologram telling Jabba to release his friends or be destroyed. The first time we see him in person he he force chokes Jabbas guards. Then he kills a **** ton of people, probably including innocent people enslaved to work on Jabba's sail barge.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
        Ben was great at straddling the line between being respectful to the council and being a realist.

Would love a live action movie or series or trilogy of his (and Anakin's) exploits in the Clone Wars.
        Yes and there will be a stand alone Ben Kenobi movie. Sounds like they pushed or shelved the Boba Fett movie to make way for Kenobi sooner. They've been cryptic about when to expect the movie but sounds like once 9 is done it will be full ahead on Kenobi. For the record McGregor said he'd love to do it.

Side note... how do you screw up any movie with actors as great as McGregor, Neeson and Portman? Give it to Lucas I guess
        Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

Would much rather see a standalone Kenobi movie than a Fett one.

Never understood the fascination that many fans have over Fett.

Was it just because his figure required saving proofs of purchase and mailing in for back in the day?

Comment

Originally posted by solovsfett View Post
            Side note... how do you screw up any movie with actors as great as McGregor, Neeson and Portman? Give it to Lucas I guess
            In all honesty, why do people think Liam Neeson is a competent, let alone good, actor?

He's fun. But he's a laughably terrible actor.

Portman on the other hand is amazing and your point stands double for her. In her case I think it's just the rotten material: even Bogart couldn't save Crime School.
            Last edited by Kepler; 12-28-2017, 08:28 AM.
            Cornell University
            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Would much rather see a standalone Kenobi movie than a Fett one.

Never understood the fascination that many fans have over Fett.
              agreed. I also think tying Fett in with the prequels was lame fan service.

Comment

Nerds gonna nerd, I guess.
                Yes, they will, and they will be very obnoxious about it.

Even diehard Trekkies aren't as bad as diehard Star Wars fans. I suspect it's because the former tend to be smarter, and do sometimes get laid, even if it's mostly at those weird AF cosplay conventions.
                Last edited by FadeToBlack&Gold; 12-28-2017, 09:20 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                  Yes, they will, and they will be very obnoxious about it.

Even diehard Trekkies aren't as bad as diehard Star Wars fans. I suspect it's because the former tend to be smarter, and do sometimes get laid, even if it's mostly at those weird AF cosplay conventions.
                  Trekkies are far, far nerdier than Star Warsians and probably far less likely to get laid. Star Wars attracts a lot of casual louts from the Great Entertainment Rump. Oprah probably likes Star Wars. Star Trek is much more hard SF (and much, much more male).

Star Trek is for people good at math. Star Wars is for nerds who want to be popular and popular people who think Big Bang Theory is smart.
                  Cornell University

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                    In all honesty, why do people think Liam Neeson is a competent, let alone good, actor?

Portman on the other hand is amazing and your point stands double for her. In her case I think it's just the rotten material: even Bogart couldn't save Crime School.
                    Neeson used to be competent, and probably still could be. However, he's pretty much been phoning it in ever since he learned the easy money is in action movies.

Portman is hit or miss. Sometimes she's very good, other times she's just an expensive and better looking Keira Knightley.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                      Neeson used to be competent, and probably still could be. However, he's pretty much been phoning it in ever since he learned the easy money is in action movies.
                      Jack Nicholson Disease. See also Al Pacino.

Portman is hit or miss. Sometimes she's very good, other times she's just an expensive and better looking Keira Knightley.
                      She gets a lifetime pass for Léon. Sometimes I think she is the only competent actress born since 1970. Her problem is her agent: she has already been in more horrific movies than Michael Cain. She's becoming Peter Lorre without the alcoholism.
                      Last edited by Kepler; 12-28-2017, 09:31 AM.
                      Cornell University

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                        ...Star Trek is for people good at math. Star Wars is for nerds who want to be popular and popular people who think Big Bang Theory is smart.
                        On the order of 1^4!!!!!
                        CCT '77 & '78
                        4 kids
                        5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                        1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                        - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

If you don't like movies or movie stars, why the hell are you watching them? Are you masochists or just looking for an excuse to be bitter?

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post

I liked him in Schindler's list but have only seen him in TPM since
                            Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by solovsfett View Post
                              I liked him in Schindler's list but have only seen him in TPM since
                              You've been taken.
                              CCT '77 & '78
                              4 kids
                              5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                              1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                              - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

The problem wasn't Luke hiding from what he told me...but why he hid. I can see his point based on the little I know.

Obiwon and Yoda hid to protect what was left of the Jedi so they could fight another day. Not so much Luke who it sounds like (again haven't seen it so cut me slack) quit for kinda whiny reasons.

I mean I know he walked it back later but Mark Hamill wasn't a fan of it either.

I will judge for myself next week. I have pretty low expectations so I am sure I will enjoy it for what it is either way
                                "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                                -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                                -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                                -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Working...
                                X