Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Star Wars VIII: The Last Jedi

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
    Lucas put him into the Clone Wars cartoon series. It was yet another misstep on Lucas's part, IMO. At any rate, Maul's top half survived because he willed it through his hatred, feeding the Dark Side of the Force. Short story long, he gets new mechanical legs, becomes a menace, and then goes into hiding. He reappears in Rebels, causes problems for the two Jedi in Rebels, and then Obi-Wan finishes the job on Tatooine.
    its a big Galaxy, I hate how Lucas reused characters so much, when doing so wasn't necessary for the story. For example, I think it was dumb that Yoda and Chewbacca knew each other, and then Chewbacca just happened to be the co-pilot of the ship Obi-Wan hired to get them to Alderaan. Introducing Boba Fett as a child in the prequels was unnecessary. He was fine as a mysterious bounty hunter. Having R2D2 in the prequels was unnecessary fan service. Having Anakin build C3PO was stupid.

Comment

Originally posted by BassAle View Post
      its a big Galaxy, I hate how Lucas reused characters so much, when doing so wasn't necessary for the story. For example, I think it was dumb that Yoda and Chewbacca knew each other, and then Chewbacca just happened to be the co-pilot of the ship Obi-Wan hired to get them to Alderaan. Introducing Boba Fett as a child in the prequels was unnecessary. He was fine as a mysterious bounty hunter. Having R2D2 in the prequels was unnecessary fan service. Having Anakin build C3PO was stupid.
      Absolutely. Plus, if you watch the movies in Episode order, the huge reveal that Darth Vader is Luke's father is rather pointless. Robot Chicken parodies it pretty well. They also do the Boba Fett thing brilliantly. In the middle of the Emperor telling his story we cut to Boba and the Emperor sighs and says, "We're contractually obligated to tell his backstory too. That's what happens when you sell the most action figures."

Lucas tried to say Anakin didn't actually build C3PO, which is technically true: we see other versions of that droid in the prequels. That Anakin built him is just a boast he says to try to impress Padme. Of course, one has to wonder how much help a protocol droid would be to Shmi anyway...

I welcome Rian Johnson's new trilogy, whatever it is about. At last the vast galaxy of Star Wars will be expanded!

Comment

Originally posted by ticapnews View Post
        Absolutely. Plus, if you watch the movies in Episode order, the huge reveal that Darth Vader is Luke's father is rather pointless.
        At first my son didn't understand why I was going to make him watch episodes 4,5,6 before 1.2.3 I'm sure he had already heard Darth Vader was Luke's father from other kids though.

Comment

Finally saw this today. Somewhat casual Star Wars fan. Wanted to watch 1-7 first, since I had only seen 4, 5, and 6. I liked it. Middle of the pack for me. I like what they have left going forward, although I agree with whoever said they liked Finn more in 7.

During the fight scene where Rey and Ben join forces.... the power went out in the theater. At that point, I was not waiting to see the end, so I took my free pass and went to a different theater for it... only had about 30 minutes of overlap.

Kylo Ren reminds me of Young Anakin. So pretty and pouty.

Comment

Originally posted by BassAle View Post
            At first my son didn't understand why I was going to make him watch episodes 4,5,6 before 1.2.3 I'm sure he had already heard Darth Vader was Luke's father from other kids though.
            I treat Star Wars like The Godfather: Flashbacks in the middle. My watch order goes Rogue One and IV to start, then flash back to I and II. Then Episode V for the big Vader/Luke reveal, then flash back to III to see how that happened, then VI and VII to finish it off.

Comment

Absolutely. Plus, if you watch the movies in Episode order, the huge reveal that Darth Vader is Luke's father is rather pointless. Robot Chicken parodies it pretty well. They also do the Boba Fett thing brilliantly. In the middle of the Emperor telling his story we cut to Boba and the Emperor sighs and says, "We're contractually obligated to tell his backstory too. That's what happens when you sell the most action figures."

Lucas tried to say Anakin didn't actually build C3PO, which is technically true: we see other versions of that droid in the prequels. That Anakin built him is just a boast he says to try to impress Padme. Of course, one has to wonder how much help a protocol droid would be to Shmi anyway...

I welcome Rian Johnson's new trilogy, whatever it is about. At last the vast galaxy of Star Wars will be expanded!
              Why would he want to impress Padme when he was 9 years-old?

Then again, their entire "romance" is creepy and awkward as fck, so...

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                Why would he want to impress Padme when he was 9 years-old?

Then again, their entire "romance" is creepy and awkward as fck, so...
                Because he was visited by Pubertus at a young age.

Comment

Because he was visited by Pubertus at a young age.
                  Yeah, total boy-crush on Padme. It happens.
                  Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                  Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Every time I see the Last Jedi I find I like it even more. It's the little moments. Poe acting like he's on hold, waiting to talk to Hux. When Luke sees R2 and sounds just like that farm boy back on Tatooine. Leia in Space bothers me less, too. Hey, if a little green puppet can lift an X-wing out of a swamp... Still could do without the side trip to Canto Bight.

Comment

Still could do without the side trip to Canto Bight.
                      Seriously. Take that scene out and the movie goes from a low B+ to a solid A-.

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
                      iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
                      gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
                      Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
                      Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
                      TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
                      DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

Comment

Well I saw the film finally...and I could not have been more disappointed. I went in there with low expectations and it actually was worse than I thought. I wont go into it too deeply and I probably wont post more in this thread because I dont want to rain on the parade of those of you that loved the film but man I havent been this down about a Star Wars film in some time.

(spoilers ahead obviously)

The Good
                        The music was great
                        Some really cool nostalgia
                        95% of the CGI and effects were outstanding

The Bad
                        Snoke was just a complete waste of time. What purpose did he serve except to be killed in one of the dumbest ways this side of a Red Shirt?
                        Kylo Ren is a flipping moron and is basically Hayden Christensen Anakin 2.0. All this movie did was make the Big Bads look worthless
                        Rey apparently only needed like 2 days training to be a Jedi...

The Ugly

Holy crap the writing was awful. I mean they werent even trying. Even for a Star Wars film this was pretty low. And I am not even talking about the stupid lines some of the characters said...I mean the entire plotline of the movie made zero sense. If not for the moronic decisions of about 5 people none of the film has to happen at all. If Laura Dern had just explained her plan to Poe then none of the stupid subplot with the Cantina has to happen not to mention they arent sold out by Benicio Del Toro in what was easily the most obvious plotpoint. If Hux (the commander so stupid he falls for the prank phone call at the beginning) just has a few of his ships jump ahead of the "Rebel" fleet (or you know, go around) he can destroy them and the war is over. If Luke doesnt quit because of one failure the friggin Republic probably never falls. If Kylo isnt so stupid as to not realize that Luke cant withstand a hundred blaster bolts (and if he could how exactly would a lightsaber hurt him?) he could have just destroyed the base and been done with it...there is more.

Luke's "death" was awful. I dont care what theories people have it literally made me flick the screen off.

Here is the thing, I wanted to ignore all that. I spent the entire film looking for ways to not notice or excuse these things. I do it all the time especially with films from franchises that I love. (I excused the Fridge scene from Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull at the time) Hell if Kylo had actually fought Luke at the end and that was how Luke died I probably would have ignored half of it and been fine with the film. Nope, duped by a Force Hologram and Rey Ex Machina uses her amazing force abilities to save everyone. I mean even if Rey and Kylo had fought post Snoke's jobbing out that would have been enough to at least make the film better. Nah...they just force fought over the lightsaber and it broke. (remember when Kylo could stop laser bolts...talk about nerfing his power) The film didnt build on anything from TFA, all it did was basically break down the Republic to a small rebellion and made Kylo a whiny manchild who just wants someone to hold.

I applaud Rian for trying something new, and I am happy for those that loved it, but this movie was not for me and turned me off from this universe. At least Rogue One I can ignore, that story is inconsequential...I have almost no interest in seeing what comes after this film now because I have almost no connection to the characters and the connections I did have they have seen fit to either kill off or make completely worthless.

I will leave you all be now. Sorry for my rant and hopefully when IX comes out I get back that loving feeling
                        "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                        -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                        -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                        -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Well, if the geniuses who built a planet-sized Death Star and didn't neglect that ONE little weakness in the whole sh-bang....

Just sayin'.
                          Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                          Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

One consequence of a flight to Hawaii: I was so bored I watched Ep3.

It wasn't nearly as horrific as Ep1 because nothing short of The Departed or third degree burns could be, but it was spectacularly dumb. I'll be kind and give it a D since while it lacked any redeeming value it also lacked the various revulsions (George Lucas Muppet Babies, insipid storyline, insulting fan service and commercial tie ins) of Ep1.

The only real war crime in Ep3 is Natalie Portman somehow looks awful, which should not be possible even for Alan Smithee.
                            Cornell University
                            National Champion 1967, 1970
                            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                              Well, if the geniuses who built a planet-sized Death Star and didn't neglect that ONE little weakness in the whole sh-bang....

Just sayin'.
                              Well, the vent was put in by the person who designed the Death Star specifically because it would appear inconsequential and serve as a good target for any potential Luke Skywalker's out there. It was questioned but Erso explained that it was necessary. The fault was also discovered by a character in the "Lost Stars" novel, but her concerns were lost in the bureaucracy that was the Empire. That's why an officer approaches Tarkin in A New Hope and wants him to evacuate because they've realized that inconsequential exhaust port is what the rebels were trying to attack.

Comment

• Originally posted by ticapnews View Post
                                Well, the vent was put in by the person who designed the Death Star specifically because it would appear inconsequential and serve as a good target for any potential Luke Skywalker's out there. It was questioned but Erso explained that it was necessary. The fault was also discovered by a character in the "Lost Stars" novel, but her concerns were lost in the bureaucracy that was the Empire. That's why an officer approaches Tarkin in A New Hope and wants him to evacuate because they've realized that inconsequential exhaust port is what the rebels were trying to attack.
                                He is talking about starkiller base (“planet sized Death Star”)

Comment

Working...
                                X