Star Wars VIII: The Last Jedi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Star Wars VIII: The Last Jedi

AFAIK, "He" is dead until "He" returns; IF "He" returns (doubtful), then I hope the evangelicals, and especially the Mormons and Jehovah's Witnesses are wrong, or else most of us, and even Joe here, are pretty boned.

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
    Sez you.

*snip*
    OK, that's great.

Comment

Jesus isn't so much dead as he became one with the Force, like Yoda, Obi-Wan and Luke.

Comment

If there's a "God", then there is not a "Trinity". It's just an unnecessary complication crafted by the Council of Nicea to explain how Jesus was allegedly both man and divine, while also satisfying Pagans who believed in demigods and such.

Originally posted by ticapnews View Post
        Jesus isn't so much dead as he became one with the Force, like Yoda, Obi-Wan and Luke.
        OK, I laughed. How did this turn into the Religion thread?

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
          No. You are negating your own reasoning. Jesus died for our sins, so he f-cking well better have been dead or we are screwed. If spirit is always alive then Jesus cannot be only spirit. But if Jesus is pure spirit then spirit can be dead.

My understanding of theology (which is not what anybody would call profound) is that we all die and are dead for an interval of time, and then we are all resurrected for The Production Number at the End of the Universe when we get the big reveal whether we're going through door #1 or door #2. What's unique about Jesus is not that he came back, but that he came back early.

This is made more tricky by God being outside of time, and hence always everywhen. From God's POV every moment is simultaneous, hence "immortality" is kind of missing the point. Now if scripture was more explicit we'd know whether after the Resurrection of the Dead time ends and we join God outside of time, or whether we are still "human" and bound by time, but also in Heaven and in God's grace and sight. I don't know enough to know what the current state of the debate is on this but I assume it's completely muddled because (1) the guys who study this aren't exactly theoretical physicists, and (2) it is, of course, all a bunch of made up garbage and all you need's a funny hat to add or subtract any interpretation you want. Holy Mother Church retcons all the time.
          Wow way to turn it all serious and sh*.
          Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
          Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

He's dead.

Anyway, Star Wars is neat.
            the state of hockey is good

Comment

Originally posted by state of hockey View Post
              He's dead.
              I thought Schrodinger's work indicates that He exists in a superposition of living and dead probability states?

Originally posted by state of hockey View Post
              Anyway, Star Wars is neat.
              Indeed.
              "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

I thought Obi-Wan got cut in half? That's pretty dead.
                Cornell University
                National Champion 1967, 1970
                ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                  Wow way to turn it all serious and sh*.
                  My work is done.
                  Cornell University
                  National Champion 1967, 1970
                  ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                  Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                    I thought Obi-Wan got cut in half? That's pretty dead.
                    You thought wrong. Obi-Wan gave himself up. He saw that his diversion worked and that Luke could escape so he withdraws his lightsaber and prepares to die. However he is gone before Vader's stroke falls. Remember that Vader thinks he has killed Obi-Wan but when he advances to where the body should be there is only a robe and a lightsaber. Obi-Wan became one with the Force. Later Yoda does the same, not dying but disappears and becomes one with the Force. The same with Luke. There is no body.

It's the same in other works of fiction. Jesus knows he will be betrayed and crucified but he doesn't try to escape. In The Last Temptation of Christ, Satan shows him what he could have: a long life with a wife and children and still he chooses pain, torture and humiliation. Likewise his body disappears (albeit after a slight delay). When Harry Potter accepts his own death at the hands of Voldemort he doesn't die, he goes to a different state of consciousness and then chooses to return.

Darth Maul gets chopped in half but still lives...but that's another story.

Comment

I always figured when a Jedi died they disappeared. But I could be wrong.

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
                      iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
                      gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
                      Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
                      Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
                      TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
                      DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

Comment

Originally posted by French Rage View Post
                        I always figured when a Jedi died they disappeared. But I could be wrong.
                        No. Only Obi-Wan, Yoda and Luke. Remember that when Qui-Gon was killed there was a body. The same with the Jedi killed in Palpatine's office.

Vader was mystified by OWK's disappearance in A New Hope.

Comment

• Originally posted by ticapnews View Post
                          Darth Maul gets chopped in half but still lives...but that's another story.
                          That’s stupid. I hope it is no longer canonical after the Disney take-over. I’ll refuse to believe anything other than Obi-Wan killed him.

Comment

Originally posted by BassAle View Post
                            That’s stupid. I hope it is no longer canonical after the Disney take-over. I’ll refuse to believe anything other than Obi-Wan killed him.
                            Obi-Wan did kill him. In the desert on Tatooine. It already is Disney Canon since Maul was part of Rebels.

Anything Lucas did is official Canon. Even midichlorians.

Comment

Obi-Wan did kill him. In the desert on Tatooine. It already is Disney Canon since Maul was part of Rebels.

Anything Lucas did is official Canon. Even midichlorians.
                              I haven't seen Rebels. Having Maul survive getting chopped in half by Obi-Wan is stupid fan service. Just like any books that had Boba Fett survive falling into the Sarlacc

Comment

Originally posted by BassAle View Post
                                I haven't seen Rebels. Having Maul survive getting chopped in half by Obi-Wan is stupid fan service. Just like any books that had Boba Fett survive falling into the Sarlacc
                                Lucas put him into the Clone Wars cartoon series. It was yet another misstep on Lucas's part, IMO. At any rate, Maul's top half survived because he willed it through his hatred, feeding the Dark Side of the Force. Short story long, he gets new mechanical legs, becomes a menace, and then goes into hiding. He reappears in Rebels, causes problems for the two Jedi in Rebels, and then Obi-Wan finishes the job on Tatooine.
                                "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Working...
                                X