Star Wars VIII: The Last Jedi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Star Wars VIII: The Last Jedi

Okay, I thought I'd post a thread separate from the general "movie" thread so that people who've already seen the movie can discuss it here without introducing spoilers for the rest of it.
    "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Re: Star Wars VIII: The Last Jedi

While I have not seen it yet, my supposition about the title is that Luke is the last Jedi, and he is training Rey in the Force so that she can start something new.....
    "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Is there a setting where I can make it so I cannot click on this thread? Because I'm going to want to, and I shouldn't until I see it.

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
      iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
      gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
      Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
      Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
      TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
      DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

Comment

Originally posted by French Rage View Post
        Is there a setting where I can make it so I cannot click on this thread? Because I'm going to want to, and I shouldn't until I see it.

You must resist your impulses... that is the dark side calling to you.

I'm fairly excited about this one...

No tix available at the ultra screen till next week, so guess I won't see it till then.

Comment

Originally posted by French Rage View Post
          I'm staying off Facebook from Thursday evening through Saturday - I have tickets for the noon show. And I'm going to keep myself otherwise occupied until then. I think. That's the plan for a man who's bad at planning things.
          "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Reviews are positive
            CCT '77 & '78
            4 kids
            5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
            1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
            - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

I'm going 7 P.M. on Thursday. Can't wait.
              **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
              Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

I waited until January last time, and I will wait until January again. Even for TFA, the theater was still packed the weekend after New Years'.

Will be a struggle to avoid this thread though.

Comment

I just got lucky for this movie. Pretty much all weekend is 75% sold or more for every show. My AMC just added a 9:30a showing Friday. It's a smaller theatre but was able to book tickets for my Dad and I in good seats and they are just $5.49 to boot. Used my Stubs points to cover them.

I fully expect to get a kick in the cherries from Karma at a later point this week, lol.
                  It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

I'm pumped. Have tickets for 10pm tomorrow.

Great reviews thusfar, 93% so far on rotten 🍅
                    Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                      I waited until January last time, and I will wait until January again. Even for TFA, the theater was still packed the weekend after New Years'.

Will be a struggle to avoid this thread though.
                      Fuggit. Just bought tickets for the noon EMAX format showing on the 19th. First buyer, but I'm sure there will be other purchases this weekend, plus walk-ups.

Comment

SPOILERS GALORE:

1. I thought for sure they were going grey jedi here. They did not. At least not yet. My buddy and i thought that it could still go that way if rey kills ren in the end. Since a light jedi doesn't kill out of anger if she killed him out of anger it might merge the two forces in her and since she's the last jedi that would put the force balance in her.

2. I'm confused about snoke. I thought he wasn't a Sith? But he sure was one in this film. Maybe we were all fooled? With Ren killing him he went full dark. Which was awesome. One of my favorite parts of the movie. Rey seemed fooled by what happened thinking she had turned Ren when all along Ren was hoping to turn her into his apprentice i am assuming.
                        **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

MORE SPOILERS:

Read an article today that explains one of my mysteries that I didn't get. Anakin cam from nothing. He's the Skywalker line. Rey is a brand new line and is coming from nothing. That makes a lot of sense. Skywalker legacy is massively tragic. The Skywalker legacy is more Anakin than Leia and Luke.

Comment

MORE SPOILERS:

Apparently according to JJ Abrams even though they look Sith they are not. They are just a different version of Dark Side Force characters. That's why no Darth in the Name. That's why no Sith mentioned. Weird, but acceptable I guess.

Oh, and an aside. They did Ewoks and Jar Jar and did it right this time. Loved those characters in this movie. Hated Lucas doing it
                            Last edited by ScoobyDoo; 12-15-2017, 10:31 AM.

Comment

SPOILERS!!!!

I walked out of the theater not knowing what the hell I had just seen. But after a night of thinking about it I'm arriving at the conclusion Rian Johnson paved the way for a new Star Wars legacy, a new and much needed direction.

I think the Last Jedi does not refer to Rey but we'll see. I think she'll go grey and that's fine but my god Daisy Ridley was fantastic. Rey never wavered and I'm so glad she didn't have a moment's hesitation about what she believes despite all of the attempts to put her into that mindset.

Ren/Adam Driver....THIS IS HOW YOU DO A ROLE LIKE THIS, in other words, he's everything Anakin wasn't with Hayden Christiansen/Lucas...He went full dark and crushed the light out of himself. I mean...my god that was great, I could feel it happening when that crude comment came from Snoke, I could just sense that comment would come back somehow to set Ren off like a firecracker...Luke/Hamill, doesn't get more Kurosawa than his role here and he and it does the series and young Lucas proud. Amazing work!!! The humor was great, the porgs were great, crystal foxes I'm down with.

quibbles: Maz didn't need to be fighting, she could have and should have been talking to them calmly from wherever she was. Could have found something more interesting for Finn and Rose though I'm glad Poe Dameron got a larger role...Seemed like Johnson struggled to find a place for Finn (who IMO could be the new Solo-type character if they wanted him to be).

Overall I am VERY surprised at the directions taken in the last 40 minutes and that's why Johnson was so right for this film and why his trilogy will be a fresh take although I would love it if they visited the Old Republic someday...We'd get a young Snoke and Sidious most likely...more later...I'm still processing what a glorious film this was.
                              Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X