Page 1 of 16 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Star Wars VIII: The Last Jedi

Star Wars VIII: The Last Jedi

Okay, I thought I'd post a thread separate from the general "movie" thread so that people who've already seen the movie can discuss it here without introducing spoilers for the rest of it.
    "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Re: Star Wars VIII: The Last Jedi

While I have not seen it yet, my supposition about the title is that Luke is the last Jedi, and he is training Rey in the Force so that she can start something new.....
    "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

NICKERSON HAS [CENSORED]

Is there a setting where I can make it so I cannot click on this thread? Because I'm going to want to, and I shouldn't until I see it.

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
    iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
    gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
    Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
    Shirtless Bob That's it, you win.
    TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
    DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Quote Originally Posted by French Rage View Post
    Is there a setting where I can make it so I cannot click on this thread? Because I'm going to want to, and I shouldn't until I see it.

You must resist your impulses... that is the dark side calling to you.

I'm fairly excited about this one...

No tix available at the ultra screen till next week, so guess I won't see it till then.
    Wisconsin Hockey Am I dreaming?

wubba lubba dub dub

Quote Originally Posted by French Rage View Post
    I'm staying off Facebook from Thursday evening through Saturday - I have tickets for the noon show. And I'm going to keep myself otherwise occupied until then. I think. That's the plan for a man who's bad at planning things.
    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

Women and I have an understanding. They tend to stay away from me, and I tend to understand that I'm repulsive to them. It's not my favorite understanding.

Reviews are positive

I'm going 7 P.M. on Thursday. Can't wait.
    Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
    Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Glass at 0%: Another First Round Exit.

I waited until January last time, and I will wait until January again. Even for TFA, the theater was still packed the weekend after New Years'.

Will be a struggle to avoid this thread though.
    Michigan Tech: "Working with scraps and guys from places so remote that Houghton seems like a metropolis"

Boosh Factor (4/04/17): 5.242424

Waiting for the Snow to fly...
    South Chicago Burbs... For now anyways...

I just got lucky for this movie. Pretty much all weekend is 75% sold or more for every show. My AMC just added a 9:30a showing Friday. It's a smaller theatre but was able to book tickets for my Dad and I in good seats and they are just $5.49 to boot. Used my Stubs points to cover them.

I fully expect to get a kick in the cherries from Karma at a later point this week, lol.

I'm pumped. Have tickets for 10pm tomorrow.

Great reviews thusfar, 93% so far on rotten 🍅

Quote Originally Posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
    I waited until January last time, and I will wait until January again. Even for TFA, the theater was still packed the weekend after New Years'.

Will be a struggle to avoid this thread though.
    Fuggit. Just bought tickets for the noon EMAX format showing on the 19th. First buyer, but I'm sure there will be other purchases this weekend, plus walk-ups.
    Michigan Tech: "Working with scraps and guys from places so remote that Houghton seems like a metropolis"

Boosh Factor (4/04/17): 5.242424

SPOILERS GALORE:

1. I thought for sure they were going grey jedi here. They did not. At least not yet. My buddy and i thought that it could still go that way if rey kills ren in the end. Since a light jedi doesn't kill out of anger if she killed him out of anger it might merge the two forces in her and since she's the last jedi that would put the force balance in her.

2. I'm confused about snoke. I thought he wasn't a Sith? But he sure was one in this film. Maybe we were all fooled? With Ren killing him he went full dark. Which was awesome. One of my favorite parts of the movie. Rey seemed fooled by what happened thinking she had turned Ren when all along Ren was hoping to turn her into his apprentice i am assuming.
    Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

MORE SPOILERS:

Read an article today that explains one of my mysteries that I didn't get. Anakin cam from nothing. He's the Skywalker line. Rey is a brand new line and is coming from nothing. That makes a lot of sense. Skywalker legacy is massively tragic. The Skywalker legacy is more Anakin than Leia and Luke.

MORE SPOILERS:

Apparently according to JJ Abrams even though they look Sith they are not. They are just a different version of Dark Side Force characters. That's why no Darth in the Name. That's why no Sith mentioned. Weird, but acceptable I guess.

Oh, and an aside. They did Ewoks and Jar Jar and did it right this time. Loved those characters in this movie. Hated Lucas doing it
    Last edited by ScoobyDoo; 12-15-2017 at 11:31 AM.

SPOILERS!!!!

I walked out of the theater not knowing what the hell I had just seen. But after a night of thinking about it I'm arriving at the conclusion Rian Johnson paved the way for a new Star Wars legacy, a new and much needed direction.

I think the Last Jedi does not refer to Rey but we'll see. I think she'll go grey and that's fine but my god Daisy Ridley was fantastic. Rey never wavered and I'm so glad she didn't have a moment's hesitation about what she believes despite all of the attempts to put her into that mindset.

Ren/Adam Driver....THIS IS HOW YOU DO A ROLE LIKE THIS, in other words, he's everything Anakin wasn't with Hayden Christiansen/Lucas...He went full dark and crushed the light out of himself. I mean...my god that was great, I could feel it happening when that crude comment came from Snoke, I could just sense that comment would come back somehow to set Ren off like a firecracker...Luke/Hamill, doesn't get more Kurosawa than his role here and he and it does the series and young Lucas proud. Amazing work!!! The humor was great, the porgs were great, crystal foxes I'm down with.

quibbles: Maz didn't need to be fighting, she could have and should have been talking to them calmly from wherever she was. Could have found something more interesting for Finn and Rose though I'm glad Poe Dameron got a larger role...Seemed like Johnson struggled to find a place for Finn (who IMO could be the new Solo-type character if they wanted him to be).

Overall I am VERY surprised at the directions taken in the last 40 minutes and that's why Johnson was so right for this film and why his trilogy will be a fresh take although I would love it if they visited the Old Republic someday...We'd get a young Snoke and Sidious most likely...more later...I'm still processing what a glorious film this was.
    Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

I added some more. solovsfett. SPOILER

Rey is the Last Jedi. Luke said so. She also took the books from the island. And Yoda said as much when he appeared. This is what I think they are doing.

They threw canon out the window by saying 4-5-6 are it (JJ Abrams said this). And maybe 3.5. 4,5,6 never said Sith. There was no explanation for the Darth name, etc. I'm not sure it sits well with me either. But it does open some interesting storylines. Jedi is a religion. Sith is a religion. The Force is not a religion. It's God (so to speak). Thus there could be many religions on either side. SITH and JEDI just happen to be two of them. Opens things up considerably.
    Last edited by ScoobyDoo; 12-15-2017 at 12:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
    I added some more. solovsfett. SPOILER

Rey is the Last Jedi. Luke said so. She also took the books from the island. And Yoda said as much when he appeared. This is what I think they are doing.

They threw canon out the window by saying 4-5-6 are it (JJ Abrams said this). And maybe 3.5. 4,5,6 never said Sith. There was no explanation for the Darth name, etc. I'm not sure it sits well with me either. But it does open some interesting storylines. Jedi is a religion. Sith is a religion. The Force is not a religion. It's God (so to speak). Thus there could be many religions on either side. SITH and JEDI just happen to be two of them. Opens things up considerably.
    Excellent points...I missed the quote from Yoda....That scene I missed a couple of quotes, my hearing isn't what it used to be. Now that you say that it makes sense to me why the books were saved....I really like the idea of their being many religions based on the force and as you say that really opens things up (for the future and the past/old stories)...If you look on Rotten Tomatoes now the Last Jedi is 93% critics and 60% audience...this was a badly needed change in direction but it looks like the popcorn audience (after one night) isn't having it...
    Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Spoiler thoughts
    First of all, I don't trust the audience scores on sites like RT. It is far too easy to manipulate the numbers and skew results. Look at the number of 1 votes films like The Godfather and Shawshank get on IMDB.

Luke doesn't say Rey is the last Jedi, does he? Ren says Luke is the last of the Jedi and Luke tells him he's wrong. Rey might very well pass on what she has learned (Yoda's most pivotal lesson) and will learn from the books. Perhaps her first padawan will be Broom Boy from the last scene of the movie.

Quote Originally Posted by ticapnews View Post
    Spoiler thoughts
    First of all, I don't trust the audience scores on sites like RT. It is far too easy to manipulate the numbers and skew results. Look at the number of 1 votes films like The Godfather and Shawshank get on IMDB.

Luke doesn't say Rey is the last Jedi, does he? Ren says Luke is the last of the Jedi and Luke tells him he's wrong. Rey might very well pass on what she has learned (Yoda's most pivotal lesson) and will learn from the books. Perhaps her first padawan will be Broom Boy from the last scene of the movie.
    Response.
    It was pretty obvious. Right after Luke tells Ren that they go to Rey moving the rocks so the resistance can get out of the cave. Yoda also says things about Rey that would only be true if she were a Jedi. Or, if you want to go more "open" about it a light force user. At least at this point. I'm still convinced she's going grey eventually.
    Last edited by ScoobyDoo; 12-15-2017 at 03:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
    Response.
    It was pretty obvious. Right after Luke tells Ren that they go to Rey moving the rocks so the resistance can get out of the cave. Yoda also says things about Rey that would only be true if she were a Jedi. Or, if you want to go more "open" about it a light force user. At least at this point. I'm still convinced she's going grey eventually.
    Right, it means she is one, but it doesn't mean she's the LAST one. Misdirection was a huge part of the promotion for this film, and that includes the title. Snoke and Ren think Skywalker is the Last Jedi, but he isn't. It could be Rey, but nothing says it is - and that final scene with Broom Boy hints that there are more Force users out there who could join Rey.

Thread Information