Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Star Wars VIII: The Last Jedi

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
    Interesting that you find the most powerful display of The Force ever filmed bland and uninspiring.
    I said that I loved Luke's lightsaber duel with Kylo Ren. Having Luke use astral projection was brilliant!
    "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
      I said that I loved Luke's lightsaber duel with Kylo Ren. Having Luke use astral projection was brilliant!
      That was the second most.
      **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
      Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Interesting that you find the most powerful display of The Force ever filmed bland and uninspiring.
        I don't like how they shot it, like she was some angelic creature flying through space. Having her own/display that ability? No issue with that at all. Having her look like it's a walk in the park after waking up? No, not to my liking. Her flight back to the ship should've looked like a struggle, like a fight for her life.
        "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
          I don't like how they shot it, like she was some angelic creature flying through space. Having her own/display that ability? No issue with that at all. Having her look like it's a walk in the park after waking up? No, not to my liking. Her flight back to the ship should've looked like a struggle, like a fight for her life.
          Yeah, I'm not saying I loved it. I loved the premise of it. Wasn't my choice how it was filmed. I disagree with the struggle though. Effortless appears more powerful to me than a struggle.
          **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Yeah, I'm not saying I loved it. I loved the premise of it. Wasn't my choice how it was filmed. I disagree with the struggle though. Effortless appears more powerful to me than a struggle.
            We've known for a long time that she's had the potential to have the power. She's never taken the time to master it. Making it look effortless makes it look like she's mastered it. She clearly wasn't trained to use her powers that way to this point in the story.
            "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

Comment

We've known for a long time that she's had the potential to have the power. She's never taken the time to master it. Making it look effortless makes it look like she's mastered it. She clearly wasn't trained to use her powers that way to this point in the story.
              That's just it. The powers aren't hers. That's the big change and it's the right one.

Comment

That's just it. The powers aren't hers. That's the big change and it's the right one.
                I don't follow.

Comment

I don't follow.
                  Why is Rey so powerful with no training? The Force appears to have many dimensions and some of those dimensions are divinely inspired. Sith and Jedi appear to be religions but they're not God. Rey appears to be divinely inspired as was Anakin's birth. Leia's life being spared appears to be divinely inspired as well. What I love the most about this entire premise is The Force appears to be all powerful while at the same time being unable to control his/her creation. "Free Will" being displayed on the screen like never before. It's like holding up a mirror to Christianity or any other world religion and saying SEE!!!!!

Comment

I don't follow.
                    it sounds like he is trying to say that The Force saved Leia on Its own volition: i.e., Leia herself did not "do" anything at all, The Force did it all for her without being "asked" so to speak.

If so, it sounds a bit different than how It's been described by both Jedi and Sith masters as Something that is always There and permeates Everything that only certain people can tap into....and if It could act on Its own, then why do people need to seek Balance? Wouldn't It just take matters into Its own Hands so to speak?

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
                      it sounds like he is trying to say that The Force saved Leia on Its own volition: i.e., Leia herself did not "do" anything at all, The Force did it all for her without being "asked" so to speak.

If so, it sounds a bit different than how It's been described by both Jedi and Sith masters as Something that is always There and permeates Everything that only certain people can tap into....
                      No, not necessarily. I think she asked. But, I don't think she needs to be "Trained". That's the main distinction I am drawing.

Comment

I saw the movie today. I liked it, but in the past two years, I forgot a lot of what happened in VII, especially with Rogue One in between, so it took me a while to figure out what was going on. Assuming I am still around, I will probably have the same thought in two years.
                        sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Question: ...what if Snoke was also projecting himself in this movie. What if he was on another planet and he was testing Ren as to whether he'd betray him?

I hope this isn't true but Star Wars theory YouTube guy seems to be saying Abrams will be tying all 8 prior movies together and part of that will include more of Snoke.

I hope not. I love Ren ascending to the top, besting Vader's triumphs and Rey coming from nowhere to meet Ren and balance the Force
                          Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by solovsfett View Post
                            Question: ...what if Snoke was also projecting himself in this movie. What if he was on another planet and he was testing Ren as to whether he'd betray him?

I hope this isn't true but Star Wars theory YouTube guy seems to be saying Abrams will be tying all 8 prior movies together and part of that will include more of Snoke.

I hope not. I love Ren ascending to the top, besting Vader's triumphs and Rey coming from nowhere to meet Ren and balance the Force
                            I think I would be bummed. I love the Ascension. That was one of the parts that made the film for me.

Comment

I remember Snoke saying to Kylo Ren, paraphrase, you've become so powerful on the Dark side that someone on the Light has to rise up to balance your power. (We thought it would be Luke but it looks like it is Ren instead).

With Snoke gone (presumably), Kylo is even that much more powerful on the Dark side. Who knows, perhaps the Light will rise up spontaneously all throughout the galaxy and stable boy at the end was just a precursor of a spontaneous movement that will spread. Maybe Ren herself will become a leader or inspiration and it won't be so much her fighting directly as it will be in her organizing others. Having too much power concentrated in any one person, Light or Dark, might prove to be the fundamental problem and it needs to be widely dispersed for ultimate balance in the universe to be restored.

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                                I saw the movie today. I liked it, but in the past two years, I forgot a lot of what happened in VII, especially with Rogue One in between, so it took me a while to figure out what was going on. Assuming I am still around, I will probably have the same thought in two years.
                                Look at the bright side, you can watch it again two years from now and like it just as if it were brand new!

Comment

Working...
                                X