Star Wars VIII: The Last Jedi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Star Wars VIII: The Last Jedi

I loved it. I'm going to voice my likely unpopular and knowingly uninformed opinion and say I like Force Awakens and Last Jedi the best. I think it may just be my age and that I didn't get into the original trilogy. I was born in 1982, so my opinion of the originals was Ewoks are cute. I didn't get the jokes or the story lines when I first viewed them and never went back to view them again until after the prequels came out. I didn't really like the prequels. So to me, the episodes we've seen of the latest trilogy are awesome. Rey kicks butt and I'm loving the strong female characters.

Can someone explain to me why the porg love? They're cute, but they are just other creatures in the Star Wars universe. I know many people are glad they weren't another Jar Jar (please never a Jar Jar) but to me they don't qualify as characters in the movie. For all the buzz, I expected them to have some kind of role.
    Originally posted by West Texas Wolverine
    wT, your wisdom is as boundless as the volume of your cheering.

Arenas visited:
    7 B1G
    7 CCHA (all except St Thomas)
    6 NCH (UNO, NoDak, DU, Miami, SCSU, WMU)
    5 Hockey East (BU, BC, UNH, Lowell, Vermont)
    5 ECAC (RPI, Union, Dartmouth, St. Lawrence, Clarkson)
    2 AHA (Mercyhurst, RIT)
    2 Alaskan

Comment

Originally posted by wolverineTrumpet View Post
      I loved it. I'm going to voice my likely unpopular and knowingly uninformed opinion and say I like Force Awakens and Last Jedi the best. I think it may just be my age and that I didn't get into the original trilogy. I was born in 1982, so my opinion of the originals was Ewoks are cute. I didn't get the jokes or the story lines when I first viewed them and never went back to view them again until after the prequels came out. I didn't really like the prequels. So to me, the episodes we've seen of the latest trilogy are awesome. Rey kicks butt and I'm loving the strong female characters.

Can someone explain to me why the porg love? They're cute, but they are just other creatures in the Star Wars universe. I know many people are glad they weren't another Jar Jar (please never a Jar Jar) but to me they don't qualify as characters in the movie. For all the buzz, I expected them to have some kind of role.
      That's what the Porg love is about. They weren't Ewoks or Jar Jar. They were just creatures that built nests in the Millenium Falcon and bugged Chewie. They were what the Ewoks and Jar Jar should have always been. That's why I love them so.
      **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
      Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

I have no problem with the Porgs. They are there for one reason and one reason only: Merchandise Sales. Where Jar Jar and the Ewoks failed in this is that they were shoehorned in with a direct tie to the plot of their movies. Here the Porgs are a few throwaway jokes and that's it. The sales get done, but not effecting the plot. This is why I don't mind them here.
        It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

The other thing I liked is that I think the action sequences were the right length. I'm not a huge action film fan and usually it's because the sequences always last 5 minutes longer than they should. Maybe I don't have the Y chromosome to fully appreciate films where half the movie is stuff getting blown up. I think stuff getting blown up is cool. I thought Ren and Rey taking down all those guys was awesome, but I was glad it didn't go on and on and on.
          Originally posted by West Texas Wolverine
          wT, your wisdom is as boundless as the volume of your cheering.

Arenas visited:
          7 B1G
          7 CCHA (all except St Thomas)
          6 NCH (UNO, NoDak, DU, Miami, SCSU, WMU)
          5 Hockey East (BU, BC, UNH, Lowell, Vermont)
          5 ECAC (RPI, Union, Dartmouth, St. Lawrence, Clarkson)
          2 AHA (Mercyhurst, RIT)
          2 Alaskan

Comment

Originally posted by solovsfett View Post
            I couldn't agree more.

Vanity Fair has an article that addresses the sort of bi-polar fanbase. Ultimately both critic and detractors may soften with time and repeated viewings but who cares. I'l be in a minority here and say the final act including Ren's ascension pushes the movie to ESB level greatness.
            those were definitely the redeeming parts of the film for me. Ren's ascension and Crait were great. Honestly, I was kind of disappointed until the final act, and then I left the theater pretty happy. I thought the bombing run was cool (although the idea of "dropping bombs" in space doesn't make a ton of sense. and a design with the bomb bay connected to the crew compartment like a WWII bomber is weird -- even if there is some kind of force field to keep the atmosphere in the ship when the bomb bay doors are open)
            In a world where Empire is an A and Phantom Menace is an F, I'd probably give this one a C+. I'm not going to argue over this. Hell, my 9 year old son's least favorite Star Wars move is ANH and he liked the prequel trilogy more than the original trilogy. He he thinks that, that's cool with me. We don't all have to agree here. I'm not sure why Scooby is so upset some people didn't like this one as much as he did.

I'm hoping episode 9 skips significantly ahead. Kylo Ren will have settled in his place as Supreme Leader, while finding and turning Rey becomes his obsession. Rey completes her training with the help of force spirit Luke and is ready to face Ren (the next movie will obviously have parallels with ROTJ, I just hope there isn't a second Star Killer Base). In the other star wars movies, years passed between each episode and each character grew off-screen. So far we've seen events that happened over the span of a few days.

Comment

Originally posted by RaceBoarder View Post
              I have no problem with the Porgs. They are there for one reason and one reason only: Merchandise Sales. Where Jar Jar and the Ewoks failed in this is that they were shoehorned in with a direct tie to the plot of their movies. Here the Porgs are a few throwaway jokes and that's it. The sales get done, but not effecting the plot. This is why I don't mind them here.
              agreed

Comment

Originally posted by BassAle View Post
                I'm not sure why Scooby is so upset some people didn't like this one as much as he did.
                Just being passionate about my position. No worries.
                **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by BassAle View Post
                  I'm not sure why Scooby is so upset some people didn't like this one as much as he did.
                  See also: Justice League

Speaking of that film, it has almost made in a month what Star Wars made this weekend. But at least they did it with a higher budget.

Comment

1. Star Wars is, and always will be, a kids movie with adult things going on (see: current Disney animated movies, for the most part). Hence, the Porgs. It's not going to be some dramatic masterpiece.

2. I loved Jedi, and honestly, 90% of what little I found wrong are nitpicks. I've seen some fanboy complaints, and I sit back and think, "THAT'S where you're going with your criticisms?" Although, the franchise is big enough where you'll find many of these folks.

3. Planning on seeing it again, looking forward to it.
                    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                      1. Star Wars is, and always will be, a kids movie with adult things going on (see: current Disney animated movies, for the most part). Hence, the Porgs. It's not going to be some dramatic masterpiece.

2. I loved Jedi, and honestly, 90% of what little I found wrong are nitpicks. I've seen some fanboy complaints, and I sit back and think, "THAT'S where you're going with your criticisms?" Although, the franchise is big enough where you'll find many of these folks.

3. Planning on seeing it again, looking forward to it.
                      I haven’t read a lot of this thread. I didn’t see the original trilogy until five years ago. I saw it Friday and was able to simply think it was a well done, fun movie. Maybe I’m better off that way.

Comment

Originally posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post
                        I haven’t read a lot of this thread. I didn’t see the original trilogy until five years ago. I saw it Friday and was able to simply think it was a well done, fun movie. Maybe I’m better off that way.
                        Pretty much grew up with the Original Trilogy, distinctly remember seeing Empire in theaters (the Luke/hand/father scene gave me nightmares for a few weeks). Also, growing up with the Original is why I "get" the Jar Jar hate, but why I hate C3P0 just as much. They are the same annoying character to me.

I don't read TOO much into the movies, and when I saw TLJ on Sat, there were times I curled up in my seat, times I marked out, and times I muttered (quietly) Holy Sh*! It really made me feel like a kid again.
                        Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                        Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Haven't seen it yet and haven't read any of that. ^

Doing my best to stay spoiler free.

Finally got to watching TFA last night in prep for seeing the new film, hopefully this coming weekend. My third time seeing TFA, but first time since it was new to home video… so it's been a bit.

Sure… it's derivative and fan service and there are a couple of cringe worthy moments - but those moments are pure Star Wars moments and are forgivable.

Beyond that, this is a fun movie and a great return to form. Disagree SS… better than a B- and for enjoyment alone and the grin on my face (again) afterwards, it's a solid B.

For making Han the star/focus of the movie, wrapping up his story in a tough way and giving him so many great lines, it moves to a B+. One of the great movie characters of all time from a pop culture standpoint.

The biggest thing they got right again is that these movies are supposed to be fun and the characters likeable.

Anyway, here are my current rankings with my ratings in parentheses:

Rogue One (5)

A New Hope (4)

The Empire Strikes back (4.5)

The Force Awakens (4)

Revenge of the Sith (2.5)

Return of the Jedi (3)

Attack of the Clones (.5)

Phantom Menace (.5)

We'll see where the new one fits soon.

And yeah… I really like Rogue One and although I acknowledge the greatness of Empire and like it a lot, it's never been my favorite of the movies. TFA could actually take it's place or it's a push for me.

I'm so glad that the franchise is in new hands and that they've revived it.

Sure… there's likely to be an egg somewhere along the line, but nothing could probably ever be as bad as I and II again.

Wife and I touched briefly on the prequels afterwards and she was saying that they shouldn't have been made, but I said it's like a dry history lesson.

Wasn't enjoyable, but your appreciation and understanding of the rest of the story is higher for knowing the backstory.

During the movie, she even commented that Kylo was acting like his grandfather at one point. Exactly.

I'm not a Star Wars fanatic nor a big Sci-Fi fan. Star Wars has definitely been a part of my life and later, my son and I's, but It's never consumed me like it does really big fans.

Always was more of a fantasy guy and the LOTR is the epic of my life and the story that I geeked out the most to over the years.

Like many in my generation though (born in 69), Star Wars was a touchstone in my life and there is a definite before and after.

Over the time since first seeing it in the theater and now, it has become an indelible part of American (and world) pop culture and a part of my own subconscious.

While watching last night, there were several moments where I was tearing up (in a good way) or grinning huge… as everything SW related, consciously and subconsciously came full circle in rushes.

When a light sabre blazes up and the music cues… when Han delivers a perfect deadpan line… the jump to hyperspace... 12 parsecs ... so many others…

Chills and good rushes as childhood me and current me are one. It's part of who I am somehow…

I can't think of another franchise or really anything else pop culture wise that has the same effect on me across so much time.

Pretty amazing that a movie franchise could do that.

Bizarre, it is.

Comment

Alright...

Saturday, 9AM.

UltraScreen

Looking forward to this and after can read this thread.

I'm guessing some gnashing of teeth and that Scooby liked all of it.

Comment

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
                              Alright...

Saturday, 9AM.

UltraScreen

Looking forward to this and after can read this thread.

I'm guessing some gnashing of teeth and that Scooby liked all of it.

You're not far off.

For the record, I like the movie. Some of the comedy was a bit much for me, but it didn't really detract from the movie as a whole. There's only one scene that involves Leia which I thought was too much, more in how it was shot than the idea of the act itself.
                              "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

I: D-
                                II: F
                                III: C-
                                III.5: B-
                                IV: B+
                                V: A
                                VI: B-
                                VII: C+
                                VIII: A-

Last Jedi had a couple of groan-worthy "Saw this coming 2 minutes ago" moments (Finn, Rose, BB8, and that thief getting caught, then the thief turning on them; Ren killing Snoke and all but proposing to Rey), but is otherwise easily the best one since Empire.

EDIT: Also, for IX, I hope Hux gets a super-nasty, painful, and hilariously hammy death. Whoever that actor is, I can't stand the character or his over-the-top acting of it. Peter Cushing, he is not.
                                Last edited by FadeToBlack&Gold; 12-19-2017, 02:38 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X