X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UMaine Black Bears, 2017-2018, reds last stand part 2

Originally posted by BoSox3066 View Post
    Yep Shore and Hutton really needed to be purged, not like Reds best record was with Whiteheads team the first year or anything. Hindsight has in fact not been the timmy time crews friend
    Needed to be said. Red still hasn't recruited anyone like Shore or Hutton or Byron or (fill in the blanks). He has to figure-out how to get a few guys of that caliber.
    Last edited by Fishman'81; 01-02-2018, 07:50 PM.

Comment

Well, swayman is on team USA. Schmidt-svestrup is leading the ushl in scoring. I am sure a lot of teams would like them. Think on the positive side of life. Look forward, not back.

Comment

Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
        Good on ya for going to the games.

Vesey is a very athletic forward where Abbott was more of a hands guy. Vesey is probably one of the most athletic forwards Maine has ever had.
        Not to pile-on, but I went to the first Maine game ever, and didn't miss a single game for my 4 years there...And, this past weekend (as in, showing-up) was not an anomaly. I estimate that I've spent >30K over the intervening years to travel to see Maine. Loved every minute of it, because Maine almost always won.

Secondly, Vesey is no way near one of the most athletic forwards Maine has ever had... He's talented, but he wouldn't crack the Top 20 by any reasonable estimation.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackI View Post
          Well, swayman is on team USA. Schmidt-svestrup is leading the ushl in scoring. I am sure a lot of teams would like them. Think on the positive side of life. Look forward, not back.
          On the Olympic team? I just looked at the roster and only saw one goalie listed.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
            1. The D was atrocious at times on Friday (Binner especially) They were on their heels for long stretches and seemed to have confused "breakout pass" with "centering pass" in their own end- but they really got it together on Saturday and played like a different group of guys.

2. I realize that Vesey sometimes takes shifts, or periods, or entire games off, but he's the best offensive talent on this team IMO and had a great weekend. He's always reminded me a little of Spencer Abbott, if Spence had a plane to catch.

4. I never really noticed Quinlivan before, but that kid has a motor and an attitude.
            I'd like to say that the defensive break out plan has been a point I've fixated on over the last few years. Its aweful. Its predictable and the Offensive pressure knows how to play it. Drives me crazy. This is coaching stubbornness.

Vesey looks a lot better this year, maybe he needed having the right players on his line.

I don’t think I’ve seen Quinlivan play, looks like he has only played in a handful of games. Look forward to watching him.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
              On the Olympic team? I just looked at the roster and only saw one goalie listed.
              Either that or flip to nhl channel right now.

Comment

Originally posted by NorthMike View Post
                I'd like to say that the defensive break out plan has been a point I've fixated on over the last few years. Its aweful. Its predictable and the Offensive pressure knows how to play it. Drives me crazy. This is coaching stubbornness.

Vesey looks a lot better this year, maybe he needed having the right players on his line.

I don’t think I’ve seen Quinlivan play, looks like he has only played in a handful of games. Look forward to watching him.
                I don't have the slightest idea about what you are saying. They break out and pinch in aggressively. If anything we don't have guys that are tough in front of their own net. 18 watched without any sense of urgency on that first goal. He needs to become at home and clear the front of the net. They all do, all of the defensemen. This is what this team lacks. Two of 3 goals this weekend were do to letting a big forward go screen our goalie untouched and unblemished. Review the goals against.

We need more Hamilton in the line up. We need him to work with younger defensemen to windshield wipe our goalies view. This will be the thing we need remedied if Maine is going anywhere. As Wally said, sun must have been in his eyes on that first goal.

Need at home defensive coaching now and it will produce wins.

Comment

Originally posted by umhockey91 View Post
                  Nice cherry pickng! TIMMAY wrecked this program. For every Shore there were 5 rotten eggs.
                  That is not the case. Please. Don't call anyone a rotten egg. Step back a little and understand what energy they put in that you so easily **** on. Can it with negative crap.

Comment

That is not the case. Please. Don't call anyone a rotten egg. Step back a little and understand what energy they put in that you so easily **** on. Can it with negative crap.
                    I agree, Timmy ain't walking thru that door anytime soon. Those days are gone. This team is where it's at and it's better than the recent past. This team isn't 92,93 but they can win a few games and are much more enjoyable to watch than last few. On to BU

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
                    I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

I don't have the slightest idea about what you are saying. They break out and pinch in aggressively. .
                      Well what I see from the cheap seats, maybe I’m too focused on this and granted there a lot of facets of a hockey game/team. Have not seen them play since Vermont so hopefully this is an area they have improved upon, to clarify, just saying, for example in the case of a dump and chase into the Maine D zone, offensive play is to have a skater press the D player going to the puck and the second and third offensive players then have positional play from there to cover the options as to what the D does. Predictability or poorly executed play leads to offensive success. I didn’t think Maine was all that successful in the first half of the season with this. When playing up the boards winning board battles was a weak point. The other scenario, when Maine’s D gains control of the puck, deep in, under full offensive pressure, too often there is too much diddling around with the puck trying to make a play and then losing control. Or too many times the D tries a play across the crease to an open player on the weak side, sometimes resulting in a pick and goal, poor judgement under pressure, although there has been less of this recently, thankfully.

Obviously, some of the recent success must point to improved play by the team D effort. Its one area that will take improvement to gain standings. IMO
                      Simplistic view, never the less it makes me crazy. Looking forward to the next home games!

Comment

• Originally posted by BlackI View Post
                        "Can it with the negative crap"? That's just precious considering how many of you have crapped on Red and this team over the past 4 years. It's also obvious that some of you still have a bromance going with TIMMAY.

Comment

Holway HE player of the month. Doherty rookie of the month

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
                          I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

• Originally posted by umhockey91 View Post
                            "Can it with the negative crap"? That's just precious considering how many of you have crapped on Red and this team over the past 4 years. It's also obvious that some of you still have a bromance going with TIMMAY.
                            Its not a bromance its called consistency. Im holding Red to the same standard as Whitehead. He doesnt get a "cleaning up the mess" pass when so far his only winning season was with Tims team.

Breaking news when you win 8 games you get crapped on....

Maine Hockey: I want to believe
                            43-21-4 (.662) in games I attended over 4 years as a student
                            104-47-14 (.669) in that time
                            3x FROZEN FOUR

11-20-2 in games I've attended since. (2-2-1 under Red)

Comment

• Originally posted by BoSox3066 View Post
                              Its not a bromance its called consistency. Im holding Red to the same standard as Whitehead. He doesnt get a "cleaning up the mess" pass when so far his only winning season was with Tims team.

Breaking news when you win 8 games you get crapped on....
                              Breaking news.....TIMMAY's last 4 years were like Red's first 4 years.

Comment

• Originally posted by umhockey91 View Post
                                There’s just no point in rehashing the past with the team playing pretty well and a good base set up for the incoming recruiting classes which by all accounts looks to be good and should help put Maine squarely back in the NCAA picture. I cant imagine this forum of all places would be in Whitehead's favor (isn't this where the "internet crazies" originated?).

We all know Whitehead left the program a mess and Red hasn't had the easiest road to rebuild, but an improved staff surrounding him has helped pluck gems where other teams have overlooked (major credit to Michaud for scouting Keeper) and that's part of the formula that always made Maine hockey successful.

Comment

Working...
                                X