This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
    Next year hopefully Maine will get the two snipers in Schmidt and Dawe.
    I think Dawe profiles more of a playmaking type based on his stats in the SJHL and USHL. I've personally never seen him play, so maybe if someone has they can correct me, but he's got a lot of helpers on his record.

Comment

Re: UMaine Black Bears, 2017-2018, reds last stand part 2

I think Maine has a great chance Saturday. BU plays the USDTP Friday and they also have a lot of players at the world juniors and they should have a game Friday. I probably would stick with Bub even if Swayman is back just to everyone knows that to expect and give Swayman a couple days to relax. He hasn't played a game in about a month and it might be best if he came back against Brown.
      I think that Swayman is primed and ready to play versus BU...if anything he has been in the practice and play mode since the WJC has started, yes McGovern played this past weekend and good for him to play well and get the rust out since not playing for a very long time. My hunch and that's all it is, Swayman gets the start versus BU this coming Saturday.

Comment

Originally posted by Ma#1ne Hky View Post
        I think that Swayman is primed and ready to play versus BU...if anything he has been in the practice and play mode since the WJC has started, yes McGovern played this past weekend and good for him to play well and get the rust out since not playing for a very long time. My hunch and that's all it is, Swayman gets the start versus BU this coming Saturday.
        Probably we will see both Swayman and Ottinger play Saturday. It's doubtful if either will see any ice time even if they get into the medal games on Friday unless Woll gets injured. It’s just a short flight from Buffalo.

Comment

Originally posted by Pucknut View Post
          Probably we will see both Swayman and Ottinger play Saturday. It's doubtful if either will see any ice time even if they get into the medal games on Friday unless Woll gets injured. It’s just a short flight from Buffalo.
          Quite something in that, one day they are teammates and the next there 200' apart trying to beat each other...

Comment

I see one Olympic goalie named, 2 more to go. I wonder if BU, BC or Maine may lose a goalie for a few weeks ?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
            I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
              I see one Olympic goalie named, 2 more to go. I wonder if BU, BC or Maine may lose a goalie for a few weeks ?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
              Has Swayman even seen the ice yet? You'd have to think based on who's played in Buffalo it would either be Woll or Oettinger.

Comment

Good on ya for going to the games.

Most of the D is young. I'm not super concerned about their positioning and the kind of stuff. The more important part for me is that they can all skate, have decent size, and have good hands. I'm surprised just how good of tools all the freshmen D have.

Vesey is a very athletic forward where Abbott was more of a hands guy. Vesey is probably one of the most athletic forwards Maine has ever had. I think Greg Moore would be a better comparison, but Moore obviously worked a lot harder in his own end.

I like Quinlivan but he is nowhere close to as good as Walsh or Diamond. He's nice to have on the team where he isn't going any scholarship money.

Next year hopefully Maine will get the two snipers in Schmidt and Dawe.
                The D was positioned fairly well IMO, they just threw the puck through the low slot carelessly far too often. That'll kill you against a decent team.

Vesey is certainly as athletic and as skilled a forward as Red has ever recruited. Moore was big and strong, but a bit slow. I can see Vesey possibly getting to the bigs if he works on his 2-zone game and improves his effort. He's a talented guy when he shows-up.

My comments re: Quinlivan weren't an endorsement of his skills, but he was fun to watch in limited action. The kid really got after it.

I got around to watching a few games on DVR after we got home, and probably have seen 30 teams this year between "live" and TV... And, ya know what, there's mostly mediocrity out there, even at mighty Minnesota. I don't see it happening this year, but Maine doesn't have to get a ton better to find themselves in the conversation in '18/'19. At this moment, I *might* be OK with giving Red one more year. (I'll get back to you on that in a couple of weeks. )

Happy New Year, you internet nut-cases.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
                  The D was positioned fairly well IMO, they just threw the puck through the low slot carelessly far too often. That'll kill you against a decent team.

Vesey is certainly as athletic and as skilled a forward as Red has ever recruited. Moore was big and strong, but a bit slow. I can see Vesey possibly getting to the bigs if he works on his 2-zone game and improves his effort. He's a talented guy when he shows-up.

My comments re: Quinlivan weren't an endorsement of his skills, but he was fun to watch in limited action. The kid really got after it.

I got around to watching a few games on DVR after we got home, and probably have seen 30 teams this year between "live" and TV... And, ya know what, there's mostly mediocrity out there, even at mighty Minnesota. I don't see it happening this year, but Maine doesn't have to get a ton better to find themselves in the conversation in '18/'19. At this moment, I *might* be OK with giving Red one more year. (I'll get back to you on that in a couple of weeks. )

Happy New Year, you internet nut-cases.
                  No matter what happens the rest of the season you can bet the AD won't cut ties with Gendron, he has the one year left on his extension after this season and no way would this AD buy-out that year. Plus I am just saying this as with a 11-7-1 record he won't even hear whispers of this. Play on and hope they continue to improve and win. They do have a goaltender in Swayman to build around. As you said the kid Quinlivan has speed and he does have moxie.

Comment

TIMMAY Time ran deep in this program...deeper than any of us knew. In hindsight, his players needed to be purged in order for a true turnaround to occur.

That being said...Red has had his own issues as well. I think that his stubbornness probably impeded the progress of Maine improving at a quicker rate. Recruiting was a slow go as well...but I think that we are seeing that improve (thank god!). I hate to throw Jay Leach under the bus...but he really didn't bring much to the table IMO. We are now seeing the difference with a younger more energetic coach in Guite beside him on the bench. Michaud has also been a big factor with the goaltending.

Comment

• Originally posted by umhockey91 View Post
                      TIMMAY Time ran deep in this program...deeper than any of us knew. In hindsight, his players needed to be purged in order for a true turnaround to occur.

That being said...Red has had his own issues as well. I think that his stubbornness probably impeded the progress of Maine improving at a quicker rate. Recruiting was a slow go as well...but I think that we are seeing that improve (thank god!). I hate to throw Jay Leach under the bus...but he really didn't bring much to the table IMO. We are now seeing the difference with a younger more energetic coach in Guite beside him on the bench. Michaud has also been a big factor with the goaltending.
                      Yep Shore and Hutton really needed to be purged, not like Reds best record was with Whiteheads team the first year or anything. Hindsight has in fact not been the timmy time crews friend

Maine Hockey: I want to believe
                      43-21-4 (.662) in games I attended over 4 years as a student
                      104-47-14 (.669) in that time
                      3x FROZEN FOUR

11-20-2 in games I've attended since. (2-2-1 under Red)

Comment

• Re: UMaine Black Bears, 2017-2018, reds last stand part 2

Originally posted by umhockey91 View Post

Leach brought in Pearson and Fossier and I'm sure others.

If you look at Maine's recruiting it got a lot better(as far as the kids committing) around a year after Red was in charge. It takes time to build relationships and get kids interested. I never cared how long it took I just wanted to see Maine back on solid ground and it seems that has happened.
                        Originally posted by BobbyBrady
                        Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

• Originally posted by BoSox3066 View Post
                          Yep Shore and Hutton really needed to be purged, not like Reds best record was with Whiteheads team the first year or anything. Hindsight has in fact not been the timmy time crews friend
                          Nice cherry pickng! TIMMAY wrecked this program. For every Shore there were 5 rotten eggs.

Comment

• Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
                            Leach brought in Pearson and Fossier and I'm sure others.

If you look at Maine's recruiting it got a lot better(as far as the kids committing) around a year after Red was in charge. It takes time to build relationships and get kids interested. I never cared how long it took I just wanted to see Maine back on solid ground and it seems that has happened.
                            It definitely takes time & had the administration not ridden the TIMMAY train into a brick wall...they may have turned it around sooner. Do you want Leach back in place of Guite?

Comment

Anybody see the polls... UMaine is closing in on getting on the big board. A win at BU would do it, if luck be a lady. Be nice to go head to head with the UHNers like it meant something! 😁

Comment

Originally posted by BlackI View Post
                                Anybody see the polls... UMaine is closing in on getting on the big board. A win at BU would do it, if luck be a lady. Be nice to go head to head with the UHNers like it meant something! ��
                                Yeh, the stretch with the Mass, NH and Merrimack HE teams will be a key to watch.

Comment

Working...
                                X