This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: UMaine Black Bears, 2017-2018, reds last stand part 2

A win and another on the road, McGovern gets playing time and Maine improves to 9-7-1...that's my take...plus Swayman away gets him experience in Elite type hockey play...even if he does not see any action...my thinking he comes back with that as a factor and makes him a better player for the experience of that in Buffalo and the rivalry versus Canada.

Comment

Things get really quiet around here when Maine starts winning!

Comment

Originally posted by umhockey91 View Post
        Things get really quiet around here when Maine starts winning!
        I feel for Fishman, the poor lad can't be very happy right now.

RPI isn't the greatest team around, but that was an impressive win last night without Maine's two best players. The thing that I really like is the last half dozen games or so Maine hasn't looked great in a lot of them and still got a result. It seemed for so long Maine would play good but wind up losing. It's amazing that Michel can be out and Maine doesn't really skip a beat. It speaks to the point I have tried to make for so long that depth is much more important than having one or two star players.
        Originally posted by BobbyBrady
        Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

I can't believe Maine has played this well. I still don't see a world beater but compared to recent past they are doing great. The meat of HE is coming up we will see how that goes. Home ice in first round isn't out of the question, that would be great in my book. offense looks pretty good, D is still questionable although the D has some offense. Hopefully Swayman is still in the groove when he comes back and Maine can get some wins.

Happy New Year Kids
          I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
            It speaks to the point I have tried to make for so long that depth is much more important than having one or two star players.
            Completely agree.

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
              I can't believe Maine has played this well. I still don't see a world beater but compared to recent past they are doing great. The meat of HE is coming up we will see how that goes. Home ice in first round isn't out of the question, that would be great in my book. offense looks pretty good, D is still questionable although the D has some offense. Hopefully Swayman is still in the groove when he comes back and Maine can get some wins.

Happy New Year Kids
              Some interesting things to say about the line up tonight... 2/3 of pairings are underclassmen and 3/4 of the lines are underclassmen. And if you had to pick the best two defensemen on the weekend and best three forwards on the weekend I think it would also be mostly underclassmen. Vesey being the only upperclassmen. My pick for the best three forwards are Vesey/Doherty/Pearson and the best two defensemen Keeper/Holway.

If we look at the last 12 games only 3 were at home and Maine went 8-3-1 over this stretch. 🤤 Quite an improvement on the road.

Only problem is 4 more games on he road. I am surprised they would schedule a stretch where only 3 of 16 games are at home.

Anyways happy New Year and GO BLUE!

Comment

I can't believe Maine has played this well. I still don't see a world beater but compared to recent past they are doing great. The meat of HE is coming up we will see how that goes.
                I want to see if they can hold up against Mass, Merrimack, NH, the real test. If they struggle against NU and BC, understandable.

Comment

Happy for Rob, nice weekend in a pressure spot. Now they can have some faith spotting him in for the second half without having to run Sway into the ground. That's probably the biggest development from the weekend

Maine Hockey: I want to believe
                  43-21-4 (.662) in games I attended over 4 years as a student
                  104-47-14 (.669) in that time
                  3x FROZEN FOUR

11-20-2 in games I've attended since. (2-2-1 under Red)

Comment

Originally posted by BoSox3066 View Post
                    Happy for Rob, nice weekend in a pressure spot. Now they can have some faith spotting him in for the second half without having to run Sway into the ground. That's probably the biggest development from the weekend
                    Amen! Keepng Swayman fresh down the stretch will be key! This weekend gives us some hope that Red might be able to do that.

Comment

Happy New Year Kids
                      I'd like to see Maine go one better and skip the first round. Maine will almost certainly finish ahead of Uconn and UVM and has a very good chance of finishing ahead of UNH, Merrimack, and UMA. Maine is just about level with UML and BU so could definitely finish ahead of one of those. If Maine is within six points of BC on February 17th those three games could be fun.

Maine basically has seven tough games and nine easy games left so should certainly finish over .500. Maine is in great shape and it should be an exciting second half, but we have had so much disappointment in recent times that in a lot of ways I fear the worst.

Comment

I'd like to see Maine go one better and skip the first round. Maine will almost certainly finish ahead of Uconn and UVM and has a very good chance of finishing ahead of UNH, Merrimack, and UMA. Maine is just about level with UML and BU so could definitely finish ahead of one of those. If Maine is within six points of BC on February 17th those three games could be fun.

Maine basically has seven tough games and nine easy games left so should certainly finish over .500. Maine is in great shape and it should be an exciting second half, but we have had so much disappointment in recent times that in a lot of ways I fear the worst.
                        Remember there are NO EASY games...on paper yes but on the ice is a whole different story, especially in Hockey East this season as there is so much parity from top to bottom. Just look at Merrimack going over to Denver this weekend and beating them @ Home. It seems that all teams in Hockey East have been streaky at times. But if Maine's goaltending is a strong point and the defence can improve there play in there end then anything in League play this year can happen. "HAPPY New Year to ALL" Go Maine & Go USA in the WJC in Buffalo.

Comment

I feel for Fishman, the poor lad can't be very happy right now.

RPI isn't the greatest team around, but that was an impressive win last night without Maine's two best players. The thing that I really like is the last half dozen games or so Maine hasn't looked great in a lot of them and still got a result. It seemed for so long Maine would play good but wind up losing. It's amazing that Michel can be out and Maine doesn't really skip a beat. It speaks to the point I have tried to make for so long that depth is much more important than having one or two star players.
                          Thanks for your concern, but believe you me, I didn't drop $600 in Albany/Troy this weekend hoping for Maine to lose.

My take on the weekend:

1. The D was atrocious at times on Friday (Binner especially) They were on their heels for long stretches and seemed to have confused "breakout pass" with "centering pass" in their own end- but they really got it together on Saturday and played like a different group of guys.

2. I realize that Vesey sometimes takes shifts, or periods, or entire games off, but he's the best offensive talent on this team IMO and had a great weekend. He's always reminded me a little of Spencer Abbott, if Spence had a plane to catch.

3. Rob fought the puck a bit on Friday but was terrific on Saturday. He made some highlight-reel saves both nights. Good for him.

4. I never really noticed Quinlivan before, but that kid has a motor and an attitude. Puts me in mind of Brendan Walsh or Joey Diamond, but without the selfish penalties.

RPI is a pretty bad team, and thus not the best measuring-stick, but I'm mildly encouraged. There's a chance for Maine to win maybe 17-19 games this RS, which is indeed an improvement, but not exactly what I was hoping for. There's quite a few decent players on this team, but they need to add couple of snipers in order to move them up to the next level (NCAA contention).

Guess we'll see...

Comment

Now that 2018 is here, time to focus on next weekend @ BU {Sat.} and then @ Brown {Mon.}

Comment

Originally posted by Ma#1ne Hky View Post
                              Now that 2018 is here, time to focus on next weekend @ BU {Sat.} and then @ Brown {Mon.}
                              I think Maine has a great chance Saturday. BU plays the USDTP Friday and they also have a lot of players at the world juniors and they should have a game Friday. I probably would stick with Bub even if Swayman is back just to everyone knows that to expect and give Swayman a couple days to relax. He hasn't played a game in about a month and it might be best if he came back against Brown.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
                                Thanks for your concern, but believe you me, I didn't drop $600 in Albany/Troy this weekend hoping for Maine to lose.

My take on the weekend:

1. The D was atrocious at times on Friday (Binner especially) They were on their heels for long stretches and seemed to have confused "breakout pass" with "centering pass" in their own end- but they really got it together on Saturday and played like a different group of guys.

2. I realize that Vesey sometimes takes shifts, or periods, or entire games off, but he's the best offensive talent on this team IMO and had a great weekend. He's always reminded me a little of Spencer Abbott, if Spence had a plane to catch.

3. Rob fought the puck a bit on Friday but was terrific on Saturday. He made some highlight-reel saves both nights. Good for him.

4. I never really noticed Quinlivan before, but that kid has a motor and an attitude. Puts me in mind of Brendan Walsh or Joey Diamond, but without the selfish penalties.

RPI is a pretty bad team, and thus not the best measuring-stick, but I'm mildly encouraged. There's a chance for Maine to win maybe 17-19 games this RS, which is indeed an improvement, but not exactly what I was hoping for. There's quite a few decent players on this team, but they need to add couple of snipers in order to move them up to the next level (NCAA contention).

Guess we'll see...
                                Good on ya for going to the games.

Most of the D is young. I'm not super concerned about their positioning and the kind of stuff. The more important part for me is that they can all skate, have decent size, and have good hands. I'm surprised just how good of tools all the freshmen D have.

Vesey is a very athletic forward where Abbott was more of a hands guy. Vesey is probably one of the most athletic forwards Maine has ever had. I think Greg Moore would be a better comparison, but Moore obviously worked a lot harder in his own end.

I like Quinlivan but he is nowhere close to as good as Walsh or Diamond. He's nice to have on the team where he isn't going any scholarship money.

Next year hopefully Maine will get the two snipers in Schmidt and Dawe.

Comment

Working...
                                X