This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UMaine Black Bears, 2017-2018, reds last stand part 2

Is it a coincidence Maine is 1-2-2 without Doherty? I don’t think it is. If Maine wins tonight I’ll feel a lot better about last night.
    Originally posted by BobbyBrady
    Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

Originally posted by amkirby10 View Post
      Guys like Perez and Muhelbauer should have been nowhere near the ice in overtime.
      Agreed. Muhelbauer got so turned around that he tripped over himself.

Comment

• Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
        Is it a coincidence Maine is 1-2-2 without Doherty? I don’t think it is. If Maine wins tonight I’ll feel a lot better about last night.
        I think the impact of Doherty being out is twofold. First, since he’s down, it forces our 13th forward to step into the lineup, which Red has deemed to be Perez. Bit of a step down there. But also, and more importantly, it’s neccesitated a lineup scramble for a team that was really on a roll and had some great chemistry with their lines. For instance, it broke up the first line, which had been phenomenal all season in my opinion, by forcing Fossier to the second line to play center and take Tim’s place. Robbins moves all the way up from the fourth line to the first, and while I like Robbins and he did play with Brown and Byron on the top line last year, I don’t think he’s a good fit with Pearson and Tralmaks. The fourth line, speaking of, loses Robbins, who had been playing well along side Pieper and Ryan Smith, and they replaced him with Housakos because Red wants Perez on the third line with Lacroix. Obviously having better depth could have eased the pain somewhat, but I don’t think you can deny the chemistry the team had going on before Doherty went down, and Tim was a big part of that.

Comment

• Originally posted by umhockey91 View Post
          Agreed. Muhelbauer got so turned around that he tripped over himself.
          Kieth is by far the worst D on the team, I think that’s fairly clear. I’d rather see VMT be out there, who, while raw, has much greater potential than Muhelbauer. Binner also hasn’t been playing well lately in my oberservations, so if I were Red I would have tried my best to rotate the two pairs of Hamilton-Michel and Holway-Keeper during overtime as much as possible.

Comment

• Originally posted by amkirby10 View Post
            I think the impact of Doherty being out is twofold. First, since he’s down, it forces our 13th forward to step into the lineup, which Red has deemed to be Perez. Bit of a step down there. But also, and more importantly, it’s neccesitated a lineup scramble for a team that was really on a roll and had some great chemistry with their lines. For instance, it broke up the first line, which had been phenomenal all season in my opinion, by forcing Fossier to the second line to play center and take Tim’s place. Robbins moves all the way up from the fourth line to the first, and while I like Robbins and he did play with Brown and Byron on the top line last year, I don’t think he’s a good fit with Pearson and Tralmaks. The fourth line, speaking of, loses Robbins, who had been playing well along side Pieper and Ryan Smith, and they replaced him with Housakos because Red wants Perez on the third line with Lacroix. Obviously having better depth could have eased the pain somewhat, but I don’t think you can deny the chemistry the team had going on before Doherty went down, and Tim was a big part of that.
            Couldn’t have said it better myself.

Comment

Kieth is by far the worst D on the team, I think that’s fairly clear. I’d rather see VMT be out there, who, while raw, has much greater potential than Muhelbauer. Binner also hasn’t been playing well lately in my oberservations, so if I were Red I would have tried my best to rotate the two pairs of Hamilton-Michel and Holway-Keeper during overtime as much as possible.
              I think Red likes him on the PK. I’d prefer three lefties in the lineup.

Comment

BDN:Steve Kariya

Comment

I agree with this. While I really like Robbins, he hasn't looked good on the 1st line. Pieper has disappeared since the line shakeup. The offensive zone penalties last night killed them even if UNH failed on the pp. Swayman was really the only bright spot.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
                  I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
                    I agree with this. While I really like Robbins, he hasn't looked good on the 1st line. Pieper has disappeared since the line shakeup. The offensive zone penalties last night killed them even if UNH failed on the pp. Swayman was really the only bright spot.

Early in the game someone missed a wide open net when Tirone was flopped and out of position. I think it was Robbins. I noticed later he came in on a rush and missed wide ring puck up and out for numbers the other way. He had another pass from the corner boards to point where uhh took for numbers the other was. Robbins play a bit like Jackson where you get excited when he has a rush, but often times shot misses net and turns into numbers going away.

Last night was frustrating... the puck that got past Tirone that trickled through the crease only to be swatted out by Kelleher says it all about that game last night. Frustrating.

Well this Unh hasnt lost in their last 8 games against maine. I would hope the captains can motivate this team. At some point this streak has to end. Be sad if they can't win tonight against a team that is winless in their last 8 games.
                    Last edited by BlackI; 01-20-2018, 11:50 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackI View Post
                      Early in the game someone missed a wide open net when Tirone was flopped and out of position. I think it was Robbins. I noticed later he came in on a rush and missed wide ring puck up and out for numbers the other way. He had another pass from the corner boards to point where uhh took for numbers the other was. Robbins play a bit like Jackson where you get excited when he has a rush, but often times shot misses net and turns into numbers going away.

Last night was frustrating... the puck that got past Tirone that trickled through the crease only to be swatted out by Kelleher says it all about that game last night. Frustrating.

Well this Unh hasnt lost in their last 8 games against maine. I would hope the captains can motivate this team. At some point this streak has to end. Be sad if they sang win tonight against a team that in winless in their last 8 games.
                      Maine centered passes multiple times last night to nobody. Why bother if there is no one there? All it does is aid UNH breakout. Very frustrating game to watch, probably more so as it was UNH

Robbins is a lot like Jackson or young Mangene. Tons of giddy up and go, but not Great at finishing.

Comment

• Originally posted by BlackI View Post
                        Robbins play a bit like Jackson where you get excited when he has a rush, but often times shot misses net and turns into numbers going away.
                        Robbins is a lot like Jackson or young Mangene. Tons of giddy up and go, but not Great at finishing.
                        Robbins is fast, and he’s good with his stick in terms of getting in lanes and making poke checks and breaking up plays, which makes him a great penalty killer and a good fourth line shutdown defensive guy. His shot is pretty brutal though. The first line last year with Cam and Blaine was a fast line, which played great to Robbins’ strengths and allowed him to be a good contributor with them last year. This year’s top line is stronger and arguably has more skill, but they aren’t as fast, which is why he looks out of place. When the current first line is intact I think it’s one of the best you could ask for, in terms of the way those guys play the game and their styles.
                        Last edited by amkirby10; 01-20-2018, 12:15 PM.

Comment

Great post, IMHO really accurate analysis. Looking at the line sheets from the BU game 1/6, the game TD got hurt, and last night, your analysis is right on. Whereas Fossier centering Vesey/Shea should be a great combo, it didn't gel last night. Doherty centering those two is a better match. I don't know why but it is. Doherty should be back next weekend btw.

Went to the game last night. First for AA at Alfond this season. Frustrating is putting it mildly. Tralmaks is a beast. Fun to watch. Having him on LW instead of RW he's just as effective. Sheet has him listed as 6'3" 190. He ain't no 190 I don't think. More like 210-215. Swayman was exceptional, esp in OT. He was down at our end in OT and he did everything but sell popcorn. As someone posted recently, this team will go as far as Sway can take it. But that's almost always the case with a superior goalie. And it's not to minimize the team's scoring power either. There was little to no puck luck last night to be honest. Keeper made the defensive play of the game in the 3rd coming up fast behind a UNH breakaway skater, going to a knee, getting his stick in front of the guy and breaking up the carry. Never touching the guy, no penalty. Super effort. The play had penalty all over it. I like Keeper a lot. Just don't like the penalties.
                          Gotta give the refs a nod, as I never ever do...Hamilton and Nazarian get in an out and ought fight at 6:16 of the 2nd, at least two fists to the face. They went at it good...2 mins each Roughing. No fighting, no game suspension, nothing. Then an unsportsmanlike to Naz as well.

Comment

Maine’s lines:

Fossier-Pearson-Tralmaks
                            Vesey-Holesinsky-Robbins
                            Westerlund-Pieper-Smith
                            Perez-Lacroix-Shea

Hamilton-Michel
                            Holway-Muhelbauer
                            Binner-Keeper

Swayman

Very happy to Holesinsky in the lineup, and the first line reunited.
                            Last edited by amkirby10; 01-20-2018, 05:58 PM.

Comment

Maine’s lines:

Fossier-Pearson-Tralmaks
                              Vesey-Holesinsky-Robbins
                              Westerlund-Pieper-Smith
                              Perez-Lacroix-Shea

Hamilton-Michel
                              Holway-Muhelbauer
                              Binner-Keeper

Swayman
                              Fossier back on first line, that's good

Comment

Fossier back on first line, that's good

Sounds like Housakos out and Holesinski in.

Larry think Housakos out due to injury.

Defense seems the same ????

Comment

Working...
                                X