This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Ma#1ne Hky View Post
    What about the four before them..? @BU- @Brown- 2 @NU....
    My personal breakdown is Id be disappointed with 0/4, mixed feelings about 1/4, happy with 2/4, excited with 3/4, and elated with 4/4.

Comment

• Re: UMaine Black Bears, 2017-2018, reds last stand part 2

Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
      Brown should be a gimme. I thought Maine would have a big advantage Saturday but BU just cancelled their game tomorrow night so that is gone. If Maine won three out of the four that would be great, but if they don't I'm not sure it means very much. The seven games I mentioned are ones Maine should be winning and the ones I'm more concerned with.
      PWR impact would be huge for Maine if they could garner serious points at NU.

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
        On to BU, worry about the others after they play BU...
        I'll be at the BU and the Brown games. The BU game will be missing both Swayman and Oettinger. That'll be interesting. Bub has to be on his game to beat BU. Their record is not good but they have ALOT of talent and scoring ability. This is not RPI. Agree with Drew that Brown should be a lay-up.

Just looking at some D-1 stats...it's a testament to hockey unpredictability that former Maine and BU goalies Romeo (Ohio St) and LaCouvee (Minny St) are currently #'s 6 and 8 nationally in GAA. Good for both of them. Romeo couldn't stop much of anything as a Black Bear. How does he now have .928/1.93 stats over 18 games? Goalie lessons?

Comment

The best comparison we can hope for on this team is the 09 sqaud, young guns not quite ready that grew into what shouldve been a great team the next 2 years. Hopefully Swayman stays and doesnt have Darlings issues and some of these talented kids turn into Abbotts and Flynns.

As for why people dump on red, again, newsflash when you lose 20 games three years in a row you get dumped on. Ive asked this before and found no answer: What successful coach has bounced back from a stretch like that? Id like to be patient but I have serious doubts based on the results on the ice.

Maine Hockey: I want to believe
          43-21-4 (.662) in games I attended over 4 years as a student
          104-47-14 (.669) in that time
          3x FROZEN FOUR

11-20-2 in games I've attended since. (2-2-1 under Red)

Comment

Originally posted by BoSox3066 View Post
            The best comparison we can hope for on this team is the 09 sqaud, young guns not quite ready that grew into what shouldve been a great team the next 2 years. Hopefully Swayman stays and doesnt have Darlings issues and some of these talented kids turn into Abbotts and Flynns.

As for why people dump on red, again, newsflash when you lose 20 games three years in a row you get dumped on. Ive asked this before and found no answer: What successful coach has bounced back from a stretch like that? Id like to be patient but I have serious doubts based on the results on the ice.
            Jerry York.

Comment

Originally posted by DoubleA View Post
              The BU game will be missing both Swayman and Oettinger.
              Are you assuming this? The team will be finished by 7 pm today. They can certainly get back from Buffalo in time to rest up and play. Knowing Quinn, I'll be surprised if Oettinger isn't in net for BU. The Terriers need to get every win possible if they want to avoid a "win the HE Tourney or you are out of the NCAA's" scenario, and it will take a lot of wins to accomplish that. I could see Patrick Harper and Dante Fabbro maybe sitting out since they will have played games each of the two days prior.
              BU Hockey: The trophy case is once again growing

Comment

Originally posted by ticapnews View Post
                Jerry York.
                The unabridged ? is what's an example of a coach who has had an 8 win season and/or lost 20 games three years in a row and then brought THAT TEAM back to prominence? York had a tough stretch to end Bowling Green than went to BC.....I'm looking for an historic reason to believe Maine can bounce back without cleaning house

(Let's further stipulate than 20 loss seasons that are only so bad because of forfeits/sanctions don't count).

Maine Hockey: I want to believe
                43-21-4 (.662) in games I attended over 4 years as a student
                104-47-14 (.669) in that time
                3x FROZEN FOUR

11-20-2 in games I've attended since. (2-2-1 under Red)

Comment

Originally posted by amkirby10 View Post
                  My personal breakdown is Id be disappointed with 0/4, mixed feelings about 1/4, happy with 2/4, excited with 3/4, and elated with 4/4.
                  2-2 would be ok/good...3-4 or 4-4 great.

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
                    On to BU, worry about the others after they play BU

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
                    @ BU will be a tough one, depending on who's playing for BU with the WJC today...I thought for awhile that Swayman could be in for BU but now I figure Gendron gives him a extra game off....then depending how he plays in the next few games you could see a rotation again for a few games. Now if they can play like they did versus BU @ Orono and "NOT" like they did in Portland then this could very well be a interesting game for Maine to take.

Comment

Originally posted by BoSox3066 View Post
                      The unabridged ? is what's an example of a coach who has had an 8 win season and/or lost 20 games three years in a row and then brought THAT TEAM back to prominence? York had a tough stretch to end Bowling Green than went to BC.....I'm looking for an historic reason to believe Maine can bounce back without cleaning house

(Let's further stipulate than 20 loss seasons that are only so bad because of forfeits/sanctions don't count).
                      Everybody loves hiring coaches who lose 20 in three consecutive years. Red's bound to become a legendary coach somewhere else.
                      bigmrg74: "You can't drink the day away if you don't start early!"
                      SledDog: "UncleRay seems to be the most sensible one here tonight."
                      All great men are dead and I'm not feeling well.
                      A Margarita! in every hand and another Margarita! in the other hand!

And stay off the lawn!

Comment

Originally posted by DoubleA View Post
                        I'll be at the BU and the Brown games. The BU game will be missing both Swayman and Oettinger. That'll be interesting. Bub has to be on his game to beat BU. Their record is not good but they have ALOT of talent and scoring ability. This is not RPI. Agree with Drew that Brown should be a lay-up.

Just looking at some D-1 stats...it's a testament to hockey unpredictability that former Maine and BU goalies Romeo (Ohio St) and LaCouvee (Minny St) are currently #'s 6 and 8 nationally in GAA. Good for both of them. Romeo couldn't stop much of anything as a Black Bear. How does he now have .928/1.93 stats over 18 games? Goalie lessons?
                        Romeo was never given a chance...period. His last year he was only given mop up minutes and he never griped...when he transferred he Thanked all and only one can wondered why he never was afforded at least a few starts...but he did it with class and didn't throw anyone under the Bus. And I hope he continues to do well and get his chance with Ohio State in the NCAA's.

Comment

Originally posted by UncleRay View Post
                          Everybody loves hiring coaches who lose 20 in three consecutive years. Red's bound to become a legendary coach somewhere else.
                          I guess you could put him {RG} in the same boat as Baseballs Don Zimmer, a great mind for Baseball...but as a Manager he was a better 3rd Base Coach. imo

Comment

Last 3 minutes of todays WJC USA/Czech Republic....Jeremy Swayman gets some action..!

Comment

I went and sorted the stats for the plus/minus. Some interesting things popped out, first there is only one upperclassmen ranked in the top ten, that is Lacroix. The top three are freshmen; Binner, Doherty, and Keeper. Binner is considerably higher than everyone else. In fact, he is plus 14 higher than Michel. And plus 10 higher than Hamilton and Muehlbauer. Even plus 9 better than Holway even.

Comment

• Originally posted by BoSox3066 View Post

York began at Bowling Green with 58 losses in three seasons and won a national title with Bowling Green a few years later. He then went to Boston College and lost 44 games in two seasons.

Comment

Working...
                                X