This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UMaine Black Bears, 2017-2018, reds last stand part 2

On 39 shots! Kid made 36 saves. Letting that many in your kitchen at Alfond is just discouraging, two points or no. Outshot 30-15 over the last 30 mins....... puke.

Maine Hockey: I want to believe
    43-21-4 (.662) in games I attended over 4 years as a student
    104-47-14 (.669) in that time
    3x FROZEN FOUR

11-20-2 in games I've attended since. (2-2-1 under Red)

Comment

The way they played with the lead from about the 4:30 mark to the tying goal was horrific in my opinion. If they play like that with a lead against a competitive team they probably end up losing in regulation.

Comment

• Originally posted by BoSox3066 View Post
        On 39 shots! Kid made 36 saves. Letting that many in your kitchen at Alfond is just discouraging, two points or no. Outshot 30-15 over the last 30 mins....... puke.
        Merrimack was chasing the game and it makes sense they would get more shots on net.

Again tonight Maine scores all their goals in transition. Fans might not like it but Maine is successful when the other team has most of the possession.
        Originally posted by BobbyBrady
        Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

Maine outplayed for long stretches by the last place team in HE at home, unacceptable.... Come on Coach, light a fire!

Comment

Yeh. I didnt think they played with any urgency, energy or execution that a team chasing a ranking improvement this time of the season would.

Comment

Originally posted by keepdachange View Post
              Maine outplayed for long stretches by the last place team in HE at home, unacceptable.... Come on Coach, light a fire!
              Yeah, you could say that for sure.

Maine took the entire 3rd off, trying to sit on a slim lead, and they're not good enough to do that against anyone... Furthermore, that appeared to be a coaching decision, as if Red had a plan. If he does, I haven't really seen it.

Maine got away with one tonight, plain and simple. That penalty shot that Robbins scored on (a pretty goal, BTW) was a huge gift. It wasn't even a penalty, let alone a penalty shot.

Red has his D waaaaay too low on the PK, too. 'Mack had free reign below the dots far too often.

There's some depth on this team, but the coaching staff needs to get a GD clue on special teams. Clearly, what they're doing now in that regard is spectacularly unsuccessful.

Sway lost an edge once, but he's bailed this team out time and time again. He's consistent.

Anyway, win tomorrow, and regroup. Figure something out, Red!

Comment

Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
                Merrimack was chasing the game and it makes sense they would get more shots on net.

Again tonight Maine scores all their goals in transition. Fans might not like it but Maine is successful when the other team has most of the possession.
                Drew, God knows I love you, but it's fairly nuts to that say that it's a good thing to have less zone-time than your opponent. That very rarely works. Maine has an OK record doing that half the time, but they have played a lousy SOS, and they can't rely on puck-luck forever.

The talent is decent, but the coaching is sub-decent. Maine was a bit lucky tonight, no doubt about that. I'd like to see Red develop some sort of a plan, already.
                Last edited by Fishman'81; 02-03-2018, 12:01 AM.

Comment

They make the same undisciplined mistakes game in and game out. That's coaching. How do take a penalty in neutral zone when the puck is 200 ft from the net? How do you get another too many men call. How do you get penalties in offensive zone every freaking game. They won, I'm glad, Red has to figure this out. I doubt he can

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
                  I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

If Maine loses you guy ***** if they win you guys ***** , bet if they won a hockey east title you guys would ***** if a national title you guys would find something to ***** about . Can't you guys just be fans of the Black Bears . Maybe Umaine should have you guys (fishman81 and Walrus) coach the hockey team. Then the wins would pileup.
                    GO MAINE

Comment

Despite all of the hand wringing Maine can take sole possession of 4th place tonight with a win. Last night's score board indicates that every other team in HE is in the same boat....mediocre and losing or tying teams that they shouldn't. This all comes down to who gets hot and wants it the most down the stretch. Also who has the big time goaltender that can carry their team. I like Maine's chances.

P.S. - Maine up to #19 in the PWR.

Comment

Originally posted by Don C View Post
                        If Maine loses you guy ***** if they win you guys ***** , bet if they won a hockey east title you guys would ***** if a national title you guys would find something to ***** about . Can't you guys just be fans of the Black Bears . Maybe Umaine should have you guys (fishman81 and Walrus) coach the hockey team. Then the wins would pileup.
                        Don
                        Do you think Red mentions some of these penalties when they watch film. ? Do think the lineup will be the same tonight?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
                        I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

On a positive note, Maine has lost only 2 of their last 17 games and haven't lost in last 6 games.

Also, the shots attempted were even as I recall looking at live stats last night end of game. Merrimack had blocked 10 more shots, I believe.

This Merrimack team doesn't seem as bad as their last place position. They beat Denver.

I thought Robbins had two shot handed goals. Evidently if ou score on penalty shot while shorthanded it isn't counted as a short handed goal for stat purposes.

Comment

• Originally posted by BlackI View Post
                            On a positive note, Maine has lost only 2 of their last 17 games and haven't lost in last 6 games.

Also, the shots attempted were even as I recall looking at live stats last night end of game. Merrimack had blocked 10 more shots, I believe.
                            Maine attempted more shots 58-54 but Merrimack blocked 16.

#MC 3 - 4 #Maine FINAL #HockeyEast
                            Robbins (8) Doherty, Westerlund 18:32
                            Biega (5) Tibbet, Seney 1:08
                            Robbins (9) PS (SHG) 2:32
                            Seney (10) (pp2) Kolquist, Henning 4:09
                            Robbins (10) (SHG) Pearson 16:52
                            Larson (9) (EAG) Biega, Henning 18:31
                            Holway (7) (GWG) Vesey, Binner :20

Shots: 39-28 MC
                            Faceoffs: 28-26 UM
                            Attempts: 58-54 UM
                            Blocks: 16-6 MC
                            PP: Maine: 0/3 Merrimack 1/5

Comment

Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
                              Drew, God knows I love you, but it's fairly nuts to that say that it's a good thing to have less zone-time than your opponent. That very rarely works. Maine has an OK record doing that half the time, but they have played a lousy SOS, and they can't rely on puck-luck forever.

The talent is decent, but the coaching is sub-decent. Maine was a bit lucky tonight, no doubt about that. I'd like to see Red develop some sort of a plan, already.
                              I'm not claiming Maine should just let the other team have the puck in their end, it just seems its what has been effective this year. Its honestly very perplexing for me why this has been what has worked. Along with that I have no clue why Maine can't score more goals when they have possession in the other team's end. You would think that with a big team they would have an advantage when they get things setup, but it just hasn't worked very often. When they have scored goals after getting setup it seems that quite a few have come from dmen.
                              Originally posted by BobbyBrady
                              Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
                                I didn't think it was a great showing by Swayman. Merrimack struggles scoring and yet they got three by him tonight.
                                I agree Swayman appeared to stuggle at times and didn't look as confident as he normally does.
                                Robbins goals listed as EV-PS-PP.

Comment

Working...
                                X