This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UMaine Black Bears, 2017-2018, reds last stand part 2

Not sure what the big pucker is. Maine hockey is better than it has been but considering how far down they have been the last few years whats that really saying? Middle of the road HE team and HE is way down also. So far they have exceeded my expectations but my expectations were really low based on the last few years.
    I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

• Originally posted by walrus View Post
      Not sure what the big pucker is. Maine hockey is better than it has been but considering how far down they have been the last few years whats that really saying? Middle of the road HE team and HE is way down also. So far they have exceeded my expectations but my expectations were really low based on the last few years.
      There are way to many people on here who see Maine and every other team as either good or awful, there is no in between. The truth is Maine and a lot of other teams are somewhere in the middle. I’m no excited about how good Maine is, I’m excited about the improvement and direction. It’s going to take more time, but I am happy to wait as long as we get there and can sustain it.

Hopefully everyone saw that Maine’s future goalie was ranked 11th among NA goalies in the latest draft rankings. There are a lot of good things happening right now. Just because Red hasn’t followed whatever template for success some fans expected doesn’t mean it isn’t going to happen.
      Originally posted by BobbyBrady
      Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
        The pucker is Walshy isn't walking through that door. Nor is Standbrook. So having said that you would think people can get excited and happy about the direction of the team given everything. Instead we have people that refuse to be optomistic and only compare everything to the past. It is annoying. Even worse his anger rolled its way into denigrating Binner and it was uncalled for. Who needs fans like that.

Comment

• Originally posted by BlackI View Post
          The pucker is Walshy isn't walking through that door. Nor is Standbrook. So having said that you would think people can get excited and happy about the direction of the team given everything. Instead we have people that refuse to be optomistic and only compare everything to the past. It is annoying. Even worse his anger rolled its way into denigrating Binner and it was uncalled for. Who needs fans like that.
          While I have been critical of Fishman in the past, and I do think he is often too negative in his outlook, I would never question his fandom and dedication to Maine hockey and the Black Bears. Personally I think you were out of line to call him “not a true fan” and rain a torrent of posts down on him like you did.
          Last edited by amkirby10; 01-24-2018, 09:40 AM.

Comment

Real fans are blind and say yay! no matter what the scoreboard says! We dont need evidence that things are getting better we just say “they will be” and it makes it so!

Maine Hockey: I want to believe
            43-21-4 (.662) in games I attended over 4 years as a student
            104-47-14 (.669) in that time
            3x FROZEN FOUR

11-20-2 in games I've attended since. (2-2-1 under Red)

Comment

Originally posted by amkirby10 View Post
              While I have been critical of Fishman in the past, and I do think he is often too negative in his outlook, I would never question his fandom and dedication to Maine hockey and the Black Bears. Personally I think you were out of line to call him “not a true fan” and rain a torrent of posts down on him like you did.
              Ok that is fair.

Fishman, I apologize.

Comment

Originally posted by BoSox3066 View Post
                Real fans are blind and say yay! no matter what the scoreboard says! We dont need evidence that things are getting better we just say “they will be” and it makes it so!
                Agreed!

Comment

Originally posted by amkirby10 View Post
                  Well said and in a positive way I might add. Fishman is a DIE-HARD...

Comment

• Originally posted by BoSox3066 View Post
                    Take it easy. Only 2.5 ounces at a time.

Comment

I believe Fridays game is on NESN plus. Need a win after the last few weekends.
                      I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

• Originally posted by walrus View Post
                        I believe Fridays game is on NESN plus. Need a win after the last few weekends.
                        I’d be pretty happy with a split. UMA has played a lot of games and travelled a lot the last couple weeks so hopefully they will be tired. Maine should be comfortably ahead of UMA at the end of the season in the standings but if they sweep that could change.
                        Originally posted by BobbyBrady
                        Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

Originally posted by AMC View Post
                          "The coach always played his kids
                          Ha. I got a guy in the office already complaining about his kid's coach playing his twins on defense (and they apparently spend a lot of time in the box as well).
                          Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
                          The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
                            Ha. I got a guy in the office already complaining about his kid's coach playing his twins on defense (and they apparently spend a lot of time in the box as well).
                            I wonder why the "complaining" Dad isn't coaching?

Comment

Originally posted by BlackI View Post
                              Ok that is fair.

Fishman, I apologize.
                              We're good. Thanks.

There's room for varying perspectives on our thread. That's what makes it interesting. It ought not to get personal -and I get personal at times, too, yes- because we all want the same thing: to see our Bears get back in the mix.

I'm not as negative as I may sound. This year's team is better than the recent train-wrecks, for sure. It's just that it's been a long time coming. I was hoping for a > .500 season in his 2nd or 3rd year, and then building on that.

If Maine finishes strong this season and makes the NCAA's next year, I'm OK with extending Red... Otherwise, I'm not. He's pocketed over $1,000,000 via Maine taxpayers during his tenure, and he really hasn't delivered on his end of the bargain. Next year ought to be his make-or-break season, IMO. If he doesn't bring-in a good crop of recruits and coach his team into a Regional, I'd rather see the $209,000/season go to a carefully selected younger coach who has blood in his eyes.

Comment

Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
                                I’d be pretty happy with a split. UMA has played a lot of games and travelled a lot the last couple weeks so hopefully they will be tired. Maine should be comfortably ahead of UMA at the end of the season in the standings but if they sweep that could change.
                                UMass doesn't suck, but a Maine sweep is doable if Swayman is on his game. That would be a breath of fresh air after the past two disappointing weekends.

(It's looking like it'll be the first double-dip in Amherst I'm going to miss in forever... Can you believe that The Warden bought us pricey opera tickets for Saturday?!? )

Comment

Working...
                                X