This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UMaine Black Bears, 2017-2018, reds last stand part 2

Take the win, Swayman stones them in the first and Pearson comes up big in 2nd. PP is atrocious. PK was great. Thought Umass was the better team in 1st. Maine in 2nd and 3rd.

On to UHN
    I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
      If bubba was in net it would be 4 0 umass
      Yes.

Swayman is the only reason Maine isn't maybe #38 in the PW, but I'll take it. Hope he sticks around.

Comment

Originally posted by amkirby10 View Post
        Too bad for Jeremy to lose the shutout that close to the end.
        Maine can use the two points!

Stars of the game...
        1) Swayman
        2) Pearson
        3) Makar

I liked the tight d late and the penalty killing tonight. UMass looked pretty good. Should be a good battle at mullins in a couple weeks.

Comment

• Originally posted by walrus View Post
          Take the win, Swayman stones them in the first and Pearson comes up big in 2nd. PP is atrocious. PK was great. Thought Umass was the better team in 1st. Maine in 2nd and 3rd.

On to UHN
          Spot on analysis, Wally. Slow start but I thought they settled in. Hopefully they can get both parts of special teams calibrated and going well at the same time, rather than having one going at a time.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackI View Post
            Maine can use the two points!

Stars of the game...
            1) Swayman
            2) Pearson
            3) Makar

I liked the tight d late and the penalty killing tonight. UMass looked pretty good. Should be a good battle at mullins in a couple weeks.
            3 Stars..?

1.Swayman
            2.Swayman
            3.Swayman

That's my take.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
              3 Stars..?

1.Swayman
              2.Swayman
              3.Swayman

That's my take.
              Swayman
              Penalty kill
              Pearson
              Would be my 3 stars. Its a win so be glad. UMass isn't the patsy it used to be. Umass looked good, fast and a nose for the net. Probably depth hurts them like it does Maine.
              Maine needs Doherty back.

Comment

Shout out to Rob Michel last night also. Great to have him back and looks like he is pretty near 100%. Now hoping Doherty is back for this weekend.
                UMaine Black Bears Recruit Info Site GO BLUE!!

Comment

• Originally posted by walrus View Post
                  Swayman
                  Penalty kill
                  Pearson
                  Would be my 3 stars. Its a win so be glad. UMass isn't the patsy it used to be. Umass looked good, fast and a nose for the net. Probably depth hurts them like it does Maine.
                  Depth has really helped Maine this year. Two goals from the third line and one from the fourth last night. Maine needs wins the next six games and how they do it doesn’t matter.
                  Originally posted by BobbyBrady
                  Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

Swayman
                    Penalty kill
                    Pearson
                    Wasn't pooping on the team-effort, but IMO Maine would have lost that game if, say, Rob was in net.

Swayman is a special goalie, easily the best one at Maine since the Darling/Bishop era.

(And yeah, that Pearson assist was a thing of beauty, too... Kariya-esque,)

Comment

Swayman
                      Penalty kill
                      Pearson
                      UMass used to be an auto-win, but when I went there a few years ago and saw a decent Maine team get swept via their own lousy goaltending (Wilson), it wasn't so much fun.

If Swayman stays a while, Red might hold onto his job. If not, this team is bound for mediocrity for any span of the reasonable future.

Comment

UMass used to be an auto-win, but when I went there a few years ago and saw a decent Maine team get swept via their own lousy goaltending (Wilson), it wasn't so much fun.

If Swayman stays a while, Red might hold onto his job. If not, this team is bound for mediocrity for any span of the reasonable future.
                        Any team without adequate goaltending is doomed. Even without Swayman Maine has improved its depth. No doubt he is the reason they are winning more than they are losing . Just enjoy the season, they are better than the last few years. UHN is coming up, hopefully Maine can get some points out of the weekend. The kid and his girlfriend are coming in this weekend. The girlfriend goes to RIT and has been to some hockey games there. Hopefully the place is Rocking Saturday night so she can see what a real college hockey arena is like

Comment

• Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post

Why can’t Maine bring in other goalies who are as good if not better than Swayman? I think each year the team in front of the goalie will improve which will help as well. I’m not saying this in a nasty way but you and quite a few others have been way off the mark as far as Red and the direction of the program.

Comment

BDN: Freshman goalie carries Umaine to win

UMaine coach Red Gendron was happy to get the victory but felt his team was “mentally tired” and said he wasn’t satisfied with its performance.
                            Not a good time to get mentally tired heading into a match with the rival. Hopefully they get back to hard working crew that got them the wins on the road.

Comment

Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
                              Why can’t Maine bring in other goalies who are as good if not better than Swayman? I think each year the team in front of the goalie will improve which will help as well. I’m not saying this in a nasty way but you and quite a few others have been way off the mark as far as Red and the direction of the program.
                              Maine is 45-76 over the past 3+ seasons, when Red had at least some of his own recruits on board. That's the verifiable direction of this program.

Having said that, this team has improved and is a lot of fun to watch at times. But 12-9 vs. a very pedestrian SOS fails to impress much. If they can somehow
                              shore-up the D, and play Swayman every night, *maybe* they can go on a tear and flirt with an NCAA bid... (At least that's what I keep telling myself.)

Comment

Maine is 45-76 over the past 3+ seasons, when Red had at least some of his own recruits on board. That's the verifiable direction of this program.

Having said that, this team has improved and is a lot of fun to watch at times. But 12-9 vs. a very pedestrian SOS fails to impress much. If they can somehow
                                shore-up the D, and play Swayman every night, *maybe* they can go on a tear and flirt with an NCAA bid... (At least that's what I keep telling myself.)
                                How does the overall record over the last three years show the direction? Its nonsense and you know it. Maine went from eight wins in 15-16 to 12 last year and should get at least 16 this year. That is progress. Next year I don't see any reason they won't get to 20(assuming there aren't mass defections in the offseason).

Comment

Working...
                                X