Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 81 to 100 of 107

Thread: Pyeongchang 2018 Winter Olympics Thread: It's Time to Bribe Some Judges

  1. #81
    Lucia Apologist
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    23,346

    Re: Pyeongchang 2018 Winter Olympics Thread: It's Time to Bribe Some Judges

    They’ve been that bad for about 12-16 years. It’s gotten worse lately though.

  2. #82
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    1,549
    Quote Originally Posted by bigblue_dl View Post
    I have been trying to watch mostly using the NBC Olympics streaming app (using Fire Stick, or Roku), and it has been terrible. Just unwatchable. They try to insert ads into the coverage, but NBC is so terrible at it that they ruin the coverage. They cut away from the broadcast during important parts of races, for one x-country ski race I was watching, I couldn't see the winner cross the finish line, because they cut to commercial. For short track they were inserting commercials between each race. Well, the **** races last 30 seconds each, so it is all commercials. Add to that, they cut away too quick, so when a skater is under review for a penalty, etc. they cut away before the explanation is given, and you get back to coverage right when the next race is starting with no explanation. They won't let you fast forward through the ads on the app either. They really are ****ing this up.
    I think they are doing it remotely and the times are preprogrammed. So when an event gets delayed - like snowboarding - the time extends past the window they had reserved for the event. I noticed the coverage cut out and I was stuck with a loading bar on my screen that never loaded. When I exited out the option to go back to that event was gone and had been replaced. The commercials are played haphazardly too.

    This morning I was trying to explain curling to my mother which was hard enough, but nigh impossible since the audio was about 20 seconds ahead of the video. I finally just muted it.

    The coverage on the sports app from Rio was excellent. This is a huge disappointment.

  3. #83
    unofan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 1999
    Location
    Omaha, NE, USA
    Posts
    18,281
    Quote Originally Posted by ticapnews View Post
    I think they are doing it remotely and the times are preprogrammed. So when an event gets delayed - like snowboarding - the time extends past the window they had reserved for the event. I noticed the coverage cut out and I was stuck with a loading bar on my screen that never loaded. When I exited out the option to go back to that event was gone and had been replaced. The commercials are played haphazardly too.

    This morning I was trying to explain curling to my mother which was hard enough, but nigh impossible since the audio was about 20 seconds ahead of the video. I finally just muted it.

    The coverage on the sports app from Rio was excellent. This is a huge disappointment.
    Curling boiled down to its essence: object is to get as close to the center as possible. Only one team can score per end. They get one point for every stone in the scoring rings that is closer than the opponent's closest stone.

  4. #84
    Kichizapi Chetan
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Location
    Engelstad Arena
    Posts
    12,829

    Re: Pyeongchang 2018 Winter Olympics Thread: It's Time to Bribe Some Judges

    Wrong. Wrong. Wrong. All wrong.

    Olympics. Pfffftt.


    Knowing mookie's "preferences", I want the mook's take on the NoKor cheer squad and Kim Jong Un's sister.

    Or is mookie < ahem > "indisposed" at the mere mention.
    The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved.

    North Dakota Hockey:

  5. #85
    DYKWIA? FadeToBlack&Gold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    America's Great Comeback City™, LOL
    Posts
    27,079

    Re: Pyeongchang 2018 Winter Olympics Thread: It's Time to Bribe Some Judges

    Ouch! Big mistake.

    At first I couldn't remember where I'd heard his name before, and then it came to me that I had to read his book The Age of the Unthinkable for a graduate course several years ago.
    Michigan Tech: "Working with scraps and guys from places so remote that Houghton seems like a metropolis"

    Boosh Factor (4/04/17): 5.242424

  6. #86
    I got nothing Slap Shot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Clark Freeport Zone, Philippines
    Posts
    29,503

    Re: Pyeongchang 2018 Winter Olympics Thread: It's Time to Bribe Some Judges

    How many Trumpies won't recognize Mirai Nagasu because of, you know, reasons?

  7. #87
    Lucia Apologist
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    23,346

    Re: Pyeongchang 2018 Winter Olympics Thread: It's Time to Bribe Some Judges

    I had no idea that the Russians weren’t even allowed to wear their colors.

    Good.

  8. #88
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Rochester, NY USA
    Posts
    4,729
    Quote Originally Posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
    Ouch! Big mistake.

    At first I couldn't remember where I'd heard his name before, and then it came to me that I had to read his book The Age of the Unthinkable for a graduate course several years ago.
    This guy is supposed to be an expert on Asia (which is why NBC brought him in) and he says something this clueless?!

  9. #89
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Rochester, NY USA
    Posts
    4,729
    Quote Originally Posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
    I had no idea that the Russians weren’t even allowed to wear their colors.

    Good.
    And their national anthem can never be played. And if any Russian athlete so much as attempts to display their national colors in any way or form, they can be disqualified.

  10. #90

    Join Date
    Nov 1999
    Location
    Secret Lair
    Posts
    57,001

    Re: Pyeongchang 2018 Winter Olympics Thread: It's Time to Bribe Some Judges

    Deadspin men's hockey preview.
    2016 USCHO POSER OF THE YEAR

    "The strength and power of despotism consists wholly in the fear of resistance." -- Thomas Paine

    Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018

  11. #91
    Already insane, UAA making it worse
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    49th
    Posts
    17,573
    Quote Originally Posted by Kepler View Post
    Deadspin men's hockey preview.
    I think they’re underrating the Swiss TBH, NLA is one of the better Euro leagues and they usually play a good team game.

  12. #92
    Generic Catchy Message
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Willoughby, 1888
    Posts
    6,762

    Re: Pyeongchang 2018 Winter Olympics Thread: It's Time to Bribe Some Judges

    Quote Originally Posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
    And their national anthem can never be played. And if any Russian athlete so much as attempts to display their national colors in any way or form, they can be disqualified.
    Which I have to question, with that final rule, why are the OAR jerseys mostly red? Shouldn't they be green or black or something decidedly not red, white, or blue?
    Go Green! Go White! Go State!

    2016-17 Spartan Hockey
    Jerseys: 7 Wins: 7


    Go State! Beat Notre Dame
    11-19-2 (5-15-2-1, 7th B1G)


    1966, 1986, 2007

    Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

  13. #93
    Lucia Apologist
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    23,346

    Re: Pyeongchang 2018 Winter Olympics Thread: It's Time to Bribe Some Judges

    Most I’ve seen are black.

  14. #94
    NICKERSON HAS [CENSORED]
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    Mountain View, CA
    Posts
    17,764

    Re: Pyeongchang 2018 Winter Olympics Thread: It's Time to Bribe Some Judges

    Quote Originally Posted by Kepler View Post
    Deadspin men's hockey preview.
    South Korea's goalie was Bemidji's back in 2009. Well then **** them.

    Cornell '04, Stanford '06


    KDR

    Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
    iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
    gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
    Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
    Shirtless Bob That's it, you win.
    TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
    DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

  15. #95

    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Living from my car
    Posts
    21,066
    Quote Originally Posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post
    Which I have to question, with that final rule, why are the OAR jerseys mostly red? Shouldn't they be green or black or something decidedly not red, white, or blue?
    OAR Speed Skaters were blue and white with a blue/white camo pattern sleeve.

    Best uni's I saw for speed skating.

  16. #96
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Rochester, NY USA
    Posts
    4,729
    Quote Originally Posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
    Most I’ve seen are black.
    I’ve seen a lot of white.

  17. #97
    DYKWIA? FadeToBlack&Gold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    America's Great Comeback City™, LOL
    Posts
    27,079

    Re: Pyeongchang 2018 Winter Olympics Thread: It's Time to Bribe Some Judges

    Quote Originally Posted by The Sicatoka View Post
    Knowing mookie's "preferences", I want the mook's take on the NoKor cheer squad and Kim Jong Un's sister.
    After this fawning piece, she'd better be careful and lay lower if she wants to survive the inevitable 2018 purges. Supreme Leader doesn't like even the slightest suggestion that he's not 100% in charge and capable of managing his own daily affairs.
    Michigan Tech: "Working with scraps and guys from places so remote that Houghton seems like a metropolis"

    Boosh Factor (4/04/17): 5.242424

  18. #98

    Join Date
    Nov 1999
    Location
    Secret Lair
    Posts
    57,001

    Re: Pyeongchang 2018 Winter Olympics Thread: It's Time to Bribe Some Judges

    This is the only interesting piece I've read about skating this year, and it's not about skating.
    2016 USCHO POSER OF THE YEAR

    "The strength and power of despotism consists wholly in the fear of resistance." -- Thomas Paine

    Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018

  19. #99

    Join Date
    Nov 1999
    Location
    Secret Lair
    Posts
    57,001

    Re: Pyeongchang 2018 Winter Olympics Thread: It's Time to Bribe Some Judges

    Quote Originally Posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
    After this fawning piece, she'd better be careful and lay lower if she wants to survive the inevitable 2018 purges. Supreme Leader doesn't like even the slightest suggestion that he's not 100% in charge and capable of managing his own daily affairs.
    You're thinking of Dump. I know they're easy to mix up.
    2016 USCHO POSER OF THE YEAR

    "The strength and power of despotism consists wholly in the fear of resistance." -- Thomas Paine

    Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018

  20. #100
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    1,549

    Re: Pyeongchang 2018 Winter Olympics Thread: It's Time to Bribe Some Judges

    Ted (4 goals in 1992) and Ryan (2 goals last night) are officially the first father-son combo to score in the Olympics for Team USA.

    Bill Christian scored twice in 1960 but Dave failed to score in 1980 (he did manage 8 assists). Ed Sampson (1956) nor his son Gary (1984). Neither did Bob Suter (1980) or his son Ryan (2010, 2014)

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •