Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Pyeongchang 2018 Winter Olympics Thread: It's Time to Bribe Some Judges

Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
    This and the drones and Pinch Faced Pence Hate were the highlight of the night.
    Cornell University
    National Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
      Here's how I get around the coverage.

0. Record everything, never watch live.
      1. Fast forward through every ad (do this always -- ads are for morons.)
      2. Fast forward through every segment where the camera is on an anchor.
      3. Fast forward through every segment on an American athlete.
      4. Fast forward through every segment with piano music.
      5. Fast forward through every post-event interview with an American athlete.

This will do for a start. You can cut about 90% of the ape jingoism and about 60% of the maudlin garbage by using your remote.

I would say each hour of coverage contains about 12 minutes of content; the rest is feces for the hogs.
      This is our plan for this year as well. We had cut cable for Rio and felt like we missed out on too much. This time we've cleared space on the Tivo for max recording.

Comment

Watch the feeds on (for me at least) the NBC Olympic Channel on ROKU. It's the international feed devoid of hoopla.
        CCT '77 & '78
        4 kids
        5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
        1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
        - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
          Here's how I get around the coverage.

0. Record everything, never watch live.
          1. Fast forward through every ad (do this always -- ads are for morons.)
          2. Fast forward through every segment where the camera is on an anchor.
          3. Fast forward through every segment on an American athlete.
          4. Fast forward through every segment with piano music.
          5. Fast forward through every post-event interview with an American athlete.

This will do for a start. You can cut about 90% of the ape jingoism and about 60% of the maudlin garbage by using your remote.

I would say each hour of coverage contains about 12 minutes of content; the rest is feces for the hogs.
          I was tuned in this AM and witnessed a new piece of "programming" for NBC: Interviewing PR reps for corporate sponsors. Switched that off right quick. Missed the end of the event, then realized I didn't care. Outside of curling and women's ice hockey there isn't much I want to see.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
            Watch the feeds on (for me at least) the NBC Olympic Channel on ROKU. It's the international feed devoid of hoopla.
            My wife is a big time cross country skier.

She watched an event this morning off the NBCSN app as a replay of the live coverage. She wondered who the announcers were because they were not so pro American even though an American wound up fourth. And the event itself was fully covered with no fluff. She enjoyed it immensely.
            Russell Jaslow
            [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
            U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

Originally posted by ticapnews View Post
              I was tuned in this AM and witnessed a new piece of "programming" for NBC: Interviewing PR reps for corporate sponsors. Switched that off right quick. Missed the end of the event, then realized I didn't care. Outside of curling and women's ice hockey there isn't much I want to see.
              Short track speed skating, That stuff is amazing.

Soon after the Vancouver Olympics, I was visiting my brother in Minnesota. They happened to have a short track speed skating event in Mariucci. We went. Basically all the Olympiads were there, including the great South Korean team and many medalists (except Apollo Ohno who was too busy with sponsor stuff to bother).

Let me tell you folks, if you ever have an opportunity to watch short track speed skating IN PERSON, go. Absolutely go. It was one of the most thrilling sports event I’ve ever experienced in my life. And I’ve experienced some pretty neat stuff in my life.

As to the Olympics, I also love hockey (duh), except men’s this year, and curling. But I also enjoy Alpine skiing, cross country skiing, ski jumping, long track speed skating, and all the sliding events (as a big time race car fan, how can I not?).
              Russell Jaslow
              [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
              U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
                My wife is a big time cross country skier.

She watched an event this morning off the NBCSN app as a replay of the live coverage. She wondered who the announcers were because they were not so pro American even though an American wound up fourth. And the event itself was fully covered with no fluff. She enjoyed it immensely.
                That's because the rest of the world treats it as a sporting event, not a soap opera. Fark NBC.

Comment

Men's Alpine Downhill postponed till Thursday (Wed. night here) due to weather.

Really liking the layout of the Slopestyle course. Lots of options and variety for the riders.
                  It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

Anyone else staying up for the USA-FIN hockey game at 2:40?

Comment

For a show of awesome athleticism, check out Women's short track relay's finals. Loved it!

Comment

Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
                        Short track speed skating, That stuff is amazing.
                        You're not kidding.

I got hooked on short track speed skating while at NMU. In 2003, they hosted an ISU World Cup event. It was fantastic to see up close and I fell in love with the sport. And, NMU at the time was a training site for speed skating as well.

Short Track Speedskating, Long Track Speedskating, Hockey, and some Curling are my must watch.
                        “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Originally posted by bostonewe View Post
                          For a show of awesome athleticism, check out Women's short track relay's finals. Loved it!
                          I need to watch the replays.
                          “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

The ladies' slopestyle snowboarding event is postponed because of weather. What, is it too sunny? It looks like a gorgeous day out there.

Comment

Originally posted by ticapnews View Post
                              The ladies' slopestyle snowboarding event is postponed because of weather. What, is it too sunny? It looks like a gorgeous day out there.
                              Wind is blowing 15-20 mph.... That's dangerous for the 3 larger hits on the bottom half of the course...
                              It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

Originally posted by RaceBoarder View Post
                                Wind is blowing 15-20 mph.... That's dangerous for the 3 larger hits on the bottom half of the course...
                                It gets windy in the mountains? Well I never...

Comment

Working...
                                X