Culture War 1: Between Two Ages

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
    Diversity in moderation was his point, I think. Too much conformity stifles creativity and suppresses growth and innovation; too much diversity results in the Tower of Babel, in which people cannot even understand each other's language.
    The point was more diversity can be a double edged sword. I’m not sure I would agree that ‘freedom’ is something universally cherished by Americans. It seems most people want what is best for them and to **** with everyone else.
    Originally posted by BobbyBrady
    Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

Re: Culture War 1: Between Two Ages

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
      America is the "melting pot," yet we are told constantly to be who we are and represent our heritages/cultures/etc and don't let others take that away. It's kind of a catch-22 at times. Assimilate but don't assimilate. Very conflicting.
      There seems to be a point of equilibrium that needs to be established. "Assimilation" is used in order to show that one culture does not trump another. This is why many see Muslims as incompatible: Their culture, at least when interpreted literally (which devout radicals do), dictates that all other cultures must be eliminated and only theirs is acceptable anywhere, anytime. That's why genocides and culture wars exist. However, throwing away one's past is never good, either, because there are things that you can learn from other cultures to better a particular society as a whole. Otherwise known as "evolution".

You want to thank a spaghetti monster or eat Chinese on Christmas? That's your choice. Just allow my family to practice according to our traditions, and we'll get along hunky dory.

Comment

Re: Culture War 1: Between Two Ages

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=...&v=G-6SMXclrLU

Short doc from NBC Left Field. Sounds like a new open format news org within NBC producing stories and documentaries.

It’s about Title IX and how MRAs are suing universities.
        Code:
        As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
        College Hockey 6       College Football 0
        BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
        Originally posted by SanTropez
        May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
        Originally posted by bigblue_dl
        I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
        Originally posted by Kepler
        When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
        He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Working...
        X