Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 47

Thread: Culture War 1: Between Two Ages

  1. #21
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Mass.
    Posts
    3,628

    Re: Culture War 1: Between Two Ages

    Quote Originally Posted by alfablue View Post
    Some would call that an advantage instead of a problem.

    If people accepted diverse thought, you can get solutions were 1+1=3, vs. calling it a problem where 1+1= 1 because someone is ignored.
    I agree with you, but when others don't you have a problem. Even with diversity you need common things that bind the country together. I'm not sure we have a lot of those anymore. Do people even believe in capitalism and democracy or just go along with it? Kepler has condemned people on the right for wanting an authoritarian in charge, but a lot on the left would sign up for a King Obama in a heartbeat. Maybe hypocrisy is one trait we all have.

    It's too bad here we don't have any things that bind us together like the BBC or NHS. I'll probably get slammed for this but I think we would be better off as a country if everyone had to chip in say $100 a year and had to do 25 hours of community service. Maybe kids should have to do a year or two of service after high school too.
    Originally posted by BobbyBrady
    Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

  2. #22

    Join Date
    Nov 1999
    Location
    Secret Lair
    Posts
    55,318

    Re: Culture War 1: Between Two Ages

    Quote Originally Posted by Drew S. View Post
    Kepler has condemned people on the right for wanting an authoritarian in charge, but a lot on the left would sign up for a King Obama in a heartbeat.
    I know a lot of lefties. I don't know a single one who would.

    Imagining something in your fever dream does not make it so.
    2016 USCHO POSER OF THE YEAR

    "The strength and power of despotism consists wholly in the fear of resistance." -- Thomas Paine

    Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014

  3. #23
    Lucia Apologist
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    22,529

    Re: Culture War 1: Between Two Ages

    Quote Originally Posted by Kepler View Post
    I know a lot of lefties. I don't know a single one who would.

    Imagining something in your fever dream does not make it so.
    I wouldn't sign up for that.
    Code:
    As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
    College Hockey 6       College Football 0
    BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
    Quote Originally Posted by SanTropez View Post
    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
    Quote Originally Posted by bigblue_dl View Post
    I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
    Quote Originally Posted by Kepler View Post
    When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West.

  4. #24
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    6,691

    Re: Culture War 1: Between Two Ages

    Quote Originally Posted by Drew S. View Post
    a lot on the left would sign up for a King Obama in a heartbeat.
    I think you don't have a clue about people on the left beyond what you project.

  5. #25
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    between Scylla and Charybdis
    Posts
    8,591

    Re: Culture War 1: Between Two Ages

    Quote Originally Posted by Handyman View Post
    Uh...maybe in the 1960s but there is no way you can say the current version of The Right fears centralized power. They stopped hating Big Government when Reagan took power and have done nothing but make Washington more powerful any time they took office.

    The only thing the Right fears is the Left in power.
    um, you are confusing "the right" with the Republican Party. Two very different things entirely.
    "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

    "Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

    "Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

    "People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

  6. #26
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    Crystal, MN
    Posts
    34,321

    Re: Culture War 1: Between Two Ages

    Quote Originally Posted by Kepler View Post
    I know a lot of lefties. I don't know a single one who would.

    Imagining something in your fever dream does not make it so.
    Same here. That is made up Infowars crap and is just an outright lie.
    "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
    -aparch

    "Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
    -INCH

    Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
    -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

  7. #27
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    Crystal, MN
    Posts
    34,321

    Re: Culture War 1: Between Two Ages

    Quote Originally Posted by FreshFish View Post
    um, you are confusing "the right" with the Republican Party. Two very different things entirely.
    No it isnt. Nice try though.

    Here lets pretend you arent a bot and have you answer this question...who did The Right vote for? Who will they vote for in 2018? 2020? If you answer honestly you realize how full of crap your programmer truly is.
    "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
    -aparch

    "Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
    -INCH

    Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
    -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

  8. #28
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Mass.
    Posts
    3,628
    Quote Originally Posted by burd View Post
    I think you don't have a clue about people on the left beyond what you project.
    But people on the left know what people on the right think?

  9. #29

    Join Date
    Nov 1999
    Location
    Secret Lair
    Posts
    55,318

    Re: Culture War 1: Between Two Ages

    Quote Originally Posted by Drew S. View Post
    people on the right think?
    Fixed your post.
    2016 USCHO POSER OF THE YEAR

    "The strength and power of despotism consists wholly in the fear of resistance." -- Thomas Paine

    Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014

  10. #30
    DYKWIA? FadeToBlack&Gold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    America's Great Comeback City™, LOL
    Posts
    26,406

    Re: Culture War 1: Between Two Ages

    This is something of a political battle, but seems as good a fit as any for this new 'culture' thread.

    For as much as those of us in Oakland and Macomb County stick our nose up at the "Downriver" folks, here's an article about the reality of one of those communities, which the city is attempting to shut down and pushover in the name of progress. Something you'll never hear about in the NYT's semi-annual Detroit progress report.

    Michissippi isn't just a mild slur towards our rural areas. Anywhere within 5 miles of the Ford River Rouge plant is basically the same way. These are your Trump voters or 2016 non-voters.
    Last edited by FadeToBlack&Gold; 12-07-2017 at 02:02 PM.
    Michigan Tech: "Working with scraps and guys from places so remote that Houghton seems like a metropolis"

    Boosh Factor (4/04/17): 5.242424

  11. #31
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    6,691

    Re: Culture War 1: Between Two Ages

    Quote Originally Posted by Drew S. View Post
    But people on the left know what people on the right think?
    Different question. I think many of us on the left project as well.

  12. #32
    I'm the Problem ScoobyDoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    The 9th Circle
    Posts
    64,547

    Re: Culture War 1: Between Two Ages

    Quote Originally Posted by FreshFish View Post
    um, you are confusing "the right" with the Republican Party. Two very different things entirely.
    rotflmao
    Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
    Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

    Glass at 0%: Another First Round Exit.

  13. #33
    Kichizapi Chetan
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Location
    Engelstad Arena
    Posts
    12,421

    Re: Culture War 1: Between Two Ages

    Kep, you peripherally channeling Mr. Obama's interview at the Chicago Economic Club yesterday?

    Obama moved from that to talking about a nativist mistrust and unease that has swept around the world. He argued that such things as the speed of technical change and the uneven impact of globalization have come too quickly to be absorbed in many cultures, bringing strange new things and people to areas in which "people didn't (used to) challenge your assumptions." As a result, "nothing feels solid," he said. "Sadly, there's something in us that looks for simple answers when we're agitated."
    The old ways inundated by new tech: two ages.
    Last edited by The Sicatoka; 12-07-2017 at 02:51 PM.
    The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved.

    North Dakota Hockey:

  14. #34

    Join Date
    Nov 1999
    Location
    Secret Lair
    Posts
    55,318

    Re: Culture War 1: Between Two Ages

    Quote Originally Posted by The Sicatoka View Post
    Kep, you peripherally channeling Mr. Obama's interview at the Chicago Economic Club yesterday?
    Pretty sure we just both read Hannah Arendt.

    Fun fact: Arendt's famous Origins of Totalitarianism is mostly about South Africa, not Germany. It's a really, really strange book. Not at all what one would expect. I mean, seriously weird. You can see how she fell for Heidegger. She's a strange chick.
    2016 USCHO POSER OF THE YEAR

    "The strength and power of despotism consists wholly in the fear of resistance." -- Thomas Paine

    Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014

  15. #35
    Just a boring user.
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Walking to Yost
    Posts
    8,995

    Re: Culture War 1: Between Two Ages

    Quote Originally Posted by Drew S. View Post
    I agree with you, but when others don't you have a problem. Even with diversity you need common things that bind the country together. I'm not sure we have a lot of those anymore. Do people even believe in capitalism and democracy or just go along with it? Kepler has condemned people on the right for wanting an authoritarian in charge, but a lot on the left would sign up for a King Obama in a heartbeat. Maybe hypocrisy is one trait we all have.

    It's too bad here we don't have any things that bind us together like the BBC or NHS. I'll probably get slammed for this but I think we would be better off as a country if everyone had to chip in say $100 a year and had to do 25 hours of community service. Maybe kids should have to do a year or two of service after high school too.
    LOL- you first claim that diversity is a problems, because we are so diverse, and now you blame everyone else for not accepting that?

    So is it a problem or not?

    BTW, freedom ties us together pretty darned well. But that does mean that every tribe gets to vote equally, and get schooled equally, and get treated by the law equally. THAT is a real cultural problem. Not that people are different. It's that we treat them different.

    BTW- nice to bring up the "King Obama" BS. You guys like to pretend that he's held in regard far higher than real supporters do. Never figured out why. But it's an amazingly weak argument. Cite an example of how President Obama was authoritarian.

  16. #36
    DYKWIA? FadeToBlack&Gold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    America's Great Comeback City™, LOL
    Posts
    26,406

    Re: Culture War 1: Between Two Ages

    Bourdain on his show in the Trump era, particularly the last 3 minutes or so after his visit to McDowell County, WV earlier this year. Presumably coming in Season 11/2018.

    Also, a piece from WV media on his visit.
    Last edited by FadeToBlack&Gold; 12-07-2017 at 11:59 PM.
    Michigan Tech: "Working with scraps and guys from places so remote that Houghton seems like a metropolis"

    Boosh Factor (4/04/17): 5.242424

  17. #37
    there's a good buck in that racket.
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    37,220

    Re: Culture War 1: Between Two Ages

    Quote Originally Posted by alfablue View Post
    BTW- nice to bring up the "King Obama" BS. You guys like to pretend that he's held in regard far higher than real supporters do. Never figured out why. But it's an amazingly weak argument. Cite an example of how President Obama was authoritarian.
    his point was the feeling that if possible, y'all would welcome obama to stay in power.
    a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

  18. #38
    DYKWIA? FadeToBlack&Gold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    America's Great Comeback City™, LOL
    Posts
    26,406

    Re: Culture War 1: Between Two Ages

    Quote Originally Posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
    This is something of a political battle, but seems as good a fit as any for this new 'culture' thread.

    For as much as those of us in Oakland and Macomb County stick our nose up at the "Downriver" folks, here's an article about the reality of one of those communities, which the city is attempting to shut down and pushover in the name of progress. Something you'll never hear about in the NYT's semi-annual Detroit progress report.

    Michissippi isn't just a mild slur towards our rural areas. Anywhere within 5 miles of the Ford River Rouge plant is basically the same way. These are your Trump voters or 2016 non-voters.
    Really? No one has a comment on this?

    You can call me on local bias, or hypocrisy, but I think the writer deserves a Pulitzer nomination. It's gut-wrenching. A How the Other Half Lives for the 21st Century.
    Michigan Tech: "Working with scraps and guys from places so remote that Houghton seems like a metropolis"

    Boosh Factor (4/04/17): 5.242424

  19. #39
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Mass.
    Posts
    3,628
    Quote Originally Posted by mookie1995 View Post
    his point was the feeling that if possible, y'all would welcome obama to stay in power.
    To be fair to the other posters, it was a very complicated point I’m sure when Joe Biden gets elected there will be people who want Trump to stay in office. It’s the same nonsense from both sides.

  20. #40
    Kichizapi Chetan
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Location
    Engelstad Arena
    Posts
    12,421

    Re: Culture War 1: Between Two Ages

    Quote Originally Posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
    Also, a piece from WV media on his visit.

    Bourdain said he heard people in McDowell county take care of each other, live a certain way, believe certain things, and that he had seen it with his own eyes, particularly at Friday night’s Mount View Homecoming game. “I was surprised by the racial ethnic makeup of the community that came together for the football game last night. I was surprised by the interracial couples, the easy familiarity and affection between people that is very different than in New York.” said Bourdain. “We like to think of ourselves as this island of tolerance and forward thinking but we don’t know our neighbors that way. We talk a good game but we don’t really know each other and that kind of put us to shame.”
    Not normally a big fan of his, but giving credit where due. Bourdain gives a very strong assessment.
    The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved.

    North Dakota Hockey:

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •