Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Culture War 1: Between Two Ages

Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
    But people on the left know what people on the right think?
    Different question. I think many of us on the left project as well.

Comment

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
      um, you are confusing "the right" with the Republican Party. Two very different things entirely.
      rotflmao
      **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
      Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Kep, you peripherally channeling Mr. Obama's interview at the Chicago Economic Club yesterday?

Obama moved from that to talking about a nativist mistrust and unease that has swept around the world. He argued that such things as the speed of technical change and the uneven impact of globalization have come too quickly to be absorbed in many cultures, bringing strange new things and people to areas in which "people didn't (used to) challenge your assumptions." As a result, "nothing feels solid," he said. "Sadly, there's something in us that looks for simple answers when we're agitated."
        The old ways inundated by new tech: two ages.
        Last edited by The Sicatoka; 12-07-2017, 01:51 PM.
        The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

Originally posted by The Sicatoka View Post
          Kep, you peripherally channeling Mr. Obama's interview at the Chicago Economic Club yesterday?
          Pretty sure we just both read Hannah Arendt.

Fun fact: Arendt's famous Origins of Totalitarianism is mostly about South Africa, not Germany. It's a really, really strange book. Not at all what one would expect. I mean, seriously weird. You can see how she fell for Heidegger. She's a strange chick.
          Cornell University
          National Champion 1967, 1970
          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
            I agree with you, but when others don't you have a problem. Even with diversity you need common things that bind the country together. I'm not sure we have a lot of those anymore. Do people even believe in capitalism and democracy or just go along with it? Kepler has condemned people on the right for wanting an authoritarian in charge, but a lot on the left would sign up for a King Obama in a heartbeat. Maybe hypocrisy is one trait we all have.

It's too bad here we don't have any things that bind us together like the BBC or NHS. I'll probably get slammed for this but I think we would be better off as a country if everyone had to chip in say $100 a year and had to do 25 hours of community service. Maybe kids should have to do a year or two of service after high school too.
            LOL- you first claim that diversity is a problems, because we are so diverse, and now you blame everyone else for not accepting that?

So is it a problem or not?

BTW, freedom ties us together pretty darned well. But that does mean that every tribe gets to vote equally, and get schooled equally, and get treated by the law equally. THAT is a real cultural problem. Not that people are different. It's that we treat them different.

BTW- nice to bring up the "King Obama" BS. You guys like to pretend that he's held in regard far higher than real supporters do. Never figured out why. But it's an amazingly weak argument. Cite an example of how President Obama was authoritarian.

Comment

Bourdain on his show in the Trump era, particularly the last 3 minutes or so after his visit to McDowell County, WV earlier this year. Presumably coming in Season 11/2018.

Also, a piece from WV media on his visit.
              Last edited by FadeToBlack&Gold; 12-07-2017, 10:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
                BTW- nice to bring up the "King Obama" BS. You guys like to pretend that he's held in regard far higher than real supporters do. Never figured out why. But it's an amazingly weak argument. Cite an example of how President Obama was authoritarian.
                his point was the feeling that if possible, y'all would welcome obama to stay in power.
                a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                  This is something of a political battle, but seems as good a fit as any for this new 'culture' thread.

For as much as those of us in Oakland and Macomb County stick our nose up at the "Downriver" folks, here's an article about the reality of one of those communities, which the city is attempting to shut down and pushover in the name of progress. Something you'll never hear about in the NYT's semi-annual Detroit progress report.

Michissippi isn't just a mild slur towards our rural areas. Anywhere within 5 miles of the Ford River Rouge plant is basically the same way. These are your Trump voters or 2016 non-voters.
                  Really? No one has a comment on this?

You can call me on local bias, or hypocrisy, but I think the writer deserves a Pulitzer nomination. It's gut-wrenching. A How the Other Half Lives for the 21st Century.

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
                    his point was the feeling that if possible, y'all would welcome obama to stay in power.
                    To be fair to the other posters, it was a very complicated point I’m sure when Joe Biden gets elected there will be people who want Trump to stay in office. It’s the same nonsense from both sides.
                    Originally posted by BobbyBrady
                    Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                      Also, a piece from WV media on his visit.

Bourdain said he heard people in McDowell county take care of each other, live a certain way, believe certain things, and that he had seen it with his own eyes, particularly at Friday night’s Mount View Homecoming game. “I was surprised by the racial ethnic makeup of the community that came together for the football game last night. I was surprised by the interracial couples, the easy familiarity and affection between people that is very different than in New York.” said Bourdain. “We like to think of ourselves as this island of tolerance and forward thinking but we don’t know our neighbors that way. We talk a good game but we don’t really know each other and that kind of put us to shame.”
                      Not normally a big fan of his, but giving credit where due. Bourdain gives a very strong assessment.
                      The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

Originally posted by The Sicatoka View Post

The old ways inundated by new tech: two ages.
                        that has been happening cyclically for centuries, as we experience successive waves of technological changes.

I researched a very interesting paper for a US history class in college, in which I described a strong correlation between periods of rapid technological change followed by an outbreak of widespread religious revivalism. I forget many of the details now and I'm sure the paper has been permanently "misplaced," but the first revivalism wave started while we were still colonials, the "First Great Awakening" of the 1730s and 1740s. There was the "Second Great Awakening" in the late 1700s / early 1800s; Orville Moody in the 1870s/1880s, Billy Sunday in the 1920s, and Billy Graham in the 1950s.

Generally, the same pattern: a society in which many people found nourishment and sustenance was rapidly torn asunder, introducing widespread uncertainty and disruption, forcing people to scramble to adjust. Most people eventually did....it's just human nature that a swath of people retained a strong yearning for the comfortably familiar, gone forever yet not quite forgotten.

Based on this cyclical theory, we are just about due for another widespread religious revival in response to the internet tech revolution we've been living through the past 25-30 years or so.
                        "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
                          LOL- you first claim that diversity is a problems, because we are so diverse, and now you blame everyone else for not accepting that?
                          Diversity in moderation was his point, I think. Too much conformity stifles creativity and suppresses growth and innovation; too much diversity results in the Tower of Babel, in which people cannot even understand each other's language.

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

that has been happening cyclically for centuries, as we experience successive waves of technological changes.

I researched a very interesting paper for a US history class in college, in which I described a strong correlation between periods of rapid technological change followed by an outbreak of widespread religious revivalism. I forget many of the details now and I'm sure the paper has been permanently "misplaced," but the first revivalism wave started while we were still colonials, the "First Great Awakening" of the 1730s and 1740s. There was the "Second Great Awakening" in the late 1700s / early 1800s; Orville Moody in the 1870s/1880s, Billy Sunday in the 1920s, and Billy Graham in the 1950s.

Generally, the same pattern: a society in which many people found nourishment and sustenance was rapidly torn asunder, introducing widespread uncertainty and disruption, forcing people to scramble to adjust. Most people eventually did....it's just human nature that a swath of people retained a strong yearning for the comfortably familiar, gone forever yet not quite forgotten.

Based on this cyclical theory, we are just about due for another widespread religious revival in response to the internet tech revolution we've been living through the past 25-30 years or so.
                            Makes sense to me.

Comment

Originally posted by burd View Post
                              Makes sense to me.
                              Hmm....I wonder.....is this sudden widespread rejection of what once was routine standard everyday sexual harassment the start of a secular "religious" revival, so to speak? along with "Black Lives Matter" movement? individual human dignity reasserted....

Comment

Hmm....I wonder.....is this sudden widespread rejection of what once was routine standard everyday sexual harassment the start of a secular "religious" revival, so to speak? along with "Black Lives Matter" movement? individual human dignity reasserted....
                                Remember when Pence was chastised for his rules with women? Maybe he was on to something.
                                Originally posted by BobbyBrady
                                Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

Working...
                                X