Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Culture War 1: Between Two Ages

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
    American culture has always been known for over-valuing money (not so much fame, really). In the pantheon of international stereotypes the American ones are: materialistic, violent, and loud.

This was true back into the 19th century at least. It would be interesting to know when it replaced our Jeffersonian "noble agrarian savage" mystique.
    Uh, when Jefferson was talking about "noble agrarian savage", he was really talking about slave owning plantation culture. Especially when being worried about "taxing" subsistence farmers- since they have nothing to tax (at the time).

And that interest in money/power goes back farther than this country- it's rooted in the whole lord-serf model of Europe prior to that. Which is what we are returning to by concentrating money and power so far up.

Money, money, money. That is our culture.

Where there is harsh separation are the handful that are starting to not like being part of that system.

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
      Uh...maybe in the 1960s but there is no way you can say the current version of The Right fears centralized power. They stopped hating Big Government when Reagan took power and have done nothing but make Washington more powerful any time they took office.

The only thing the Right fears is the Left in power.
      + infinity.

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
        America is the "melting pot," yet we are told constantly to be who we are and represent our heritages/cultures/etc and don't let others take that away. It's kind of a catch-22 at times. Assimilate but don't assimilate. Very conflicting.
        It's only a catch 22 when you need to be part of a different tribe to survive. If your tribe was large enough in a community, the need to "assimilate" is/was far less.

Really, it's only conflicting when people force others to be like them just to accept them. And that's why the color of your skin will never end a conflict, because you can make yourself LOOK like the tribe you have to live in if you are different.

Comment

Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
          The problem I see in this country is that we don't have two cultures, we have thousands. There are popular stereotypes out there, but oftentimes in my experience they aren't particularly accurate. People all across the globe need to understand and respect that everyone is different and that as long as people aren't harming others they should be free to do and believe whatever they want to. I'm interested to see how this thread develops.
          Some would call that an advantage instead of a problem.

If people accepted diverse thought, you can get solutions were 1+1=3, vs. calling it a problem where 1+1= 1 because someone is ignored.

Comment

American culture has always been known for over-valuing money (not so much fame, really). In the pantheon of international stereotypes the American ones are: materialistic, violent, and loud.

This was true back into the 19th century at least. It would be interesting to know when it replaced our Jeffersonian "noble agrarian savage" mystique.
            Even Jefferson never believed that...
            "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
            -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
            -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
            -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
              Some would call that an advantage instead of a problem.

If people accepted diverse thought, you can get solutions were 1+1=3, vs. calling it a problem where 1+1= 1 because someone is ignored.
              I agree with you, but when others don't you have a problem. Even with diversity you need common things that bind the country together. I'm not sure we have a lot of those anymore. Do people even believe in capitalism and democracy or just go along with it? Kepler has condemned people on the right for wanting an authoritarian in charge, but a lot on the left would sign up for a King Obama in a heartbeat. Maybe hypocrisy is one trait we all have.

It's too bad here we don't have any things that bind us together like the BBC or NHS. I'll probably get slammed for this but I think we would be better off as a country if everyone had to chip in say $100 a year and had to do 25 hours of community service. Maybe kids should have to do a year or two of service after high school too.
              Originally posted by BobbyBrady
              Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

Kepler has condemned people on the right for wanting an authoritarian in charge, but a lot on the left would sign up for a King Obama in a heartbeat.
                I know a lot of lefties. I don't know a single one who would.

Imagining something in your fever dream does not make it so.
                Cornell University
                National Champion 1967, 1970
                ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

I wouldn't sign up for that.
                  Code:
                  As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                  College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                  BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                  Originally posted by SanTropez
                  May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                  Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                  I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                  Originally posted by Kepler
                  When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                  He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

a lot on the left would sign up for a King Obama in a heartbeat.
                    I think you don't have a clue about people on the left beyond what you project.

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                      Uh...maybe in the 1960s but there is no way you can say the current version of The Right fears centralized power. They stopped hating Big Government when Reagan took power and have done nothing but make Washington more powerful any time they took office.

The only thing the Right fears is the Left in power.
                      um, you are confusing "the right" with the Republican Party. Two very different things entirely.
                      "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Same here. That is made up Infowars crap and is just an outright lie.
                        "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                        -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                        -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                        -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
                          um, you are confusing "the right" with the Republican Party. Two very different things entirely.
                          No it isnt. Nice try though.

Here lets pretend you arent a bot and have you answer this question...who did The Right vote for? Who will they vote for in 2018? 2020? If you answer honestly you realize how full of crap your programmer truly is.
                          -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by burd View Post
                            I think you don't have a clue about people on the left beyond what you project.
                            But people on the left know what people on the right think?
                            Originally posted by BobbyBrady
                            Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

people on the right think?
                              Fixed your post.
                              Cornell University
                              National Champion 1967, 1970
                              ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                              Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

This is something of a political battle, but seems as good a fit as any for this new 'culture' thread.

For as much as those of us in Oakland and Macomb County stick our nose up at the "Downriver" folks, here's an article about the reality of one of those communities, which the city is attempting to shut down and pushover in the name of progress. Something you'll never hear about in the NYT's semi-annual Detroit progress report.

Michissippi isn't just a mild slur towards our rural areas. Anywhere within 5 miles of the Ford River Rouge plant is basically the same way. These are your Trump voters or 2016 non-voters.
                                Last edited by FadeToBlack&Gold; 12-07-2017, 01:02 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X