Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Great Halifax Explosion, 100 years ago, Dec 6, 1917

https://www.npr.org/2017/12/06/56875...ifax-explosion

This is partial right now at 7:30 am, but I'm sure the whole article will be put up, soon.

In short, a ship willed with 6M TONS of high explosives, the Mont Blanc, was in a shipping accident in Halifax harbor with another ship, the Imo. The collision caused the Mont Blanc to catch fire thanks to many gallons of fuel stored on board, and shortly after that, it exploded.

The largest man-made explosion until 1945, when the nuclear age started.

It devastated Halifax. Horrible.

The reaction made the US and Canada fast friends, as Boston sent huge amounts of support up to Halifax. Huge enough that to this day, Boston gets a thank you every year via a Christmas Tree.

Before this- Canada and the US were hardly friendly. Even as recently as 1911, it was proposed to annex Canada- which didn't exactly go over well up north. And all the great forts built along the border were to protect Canada from the US.

As an interesting side effect- Michigan's first hockey coach was part of the recovery effort. He was in the area recovering from wounds suffered in WWI, and decided to go to medical school as a result of his efforts. That medical school was Michigan, where Joe Barss managed to convince Yost to build an indoor rink before the depression. I have a gut feeling that had a lot to do with Michigan's early success in college hockey.

So this massive explosion that happened 100 years ago today in Halifax had a pretty sizable impact on college hockey.

Re: The Great Halifax Explosion, 100 years ago, Dec 6, 1917

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
    https://www.npr.org/2017/12/06/56875...ifax-explosion

This is partial right now at 7:30 am, but I'm sure the whole article will be put up, soon.

In short, a ship willed with 6M TONS of high explosives, the Mont Blanc, was in a shipping accident in Halifax harbor with another ship, the Imo. The collision caused the Mont Blanc to catch fire thanks to many gallons of fuel stored on board, and shortly after that, it exploded.

The largest man-made explosion until 1945, when the nuclear age started.

It devastated Halifax. Horrible.

The reaction made the US and Canada fast friends, as Boston sent huge amounts of support up to Halifax. Huge enough that to this day, Boston gets a thank you every year via a Christmas Tree.

Before this- Canada and the US were hardly friendly. Even as recently as 1911, it was proposed to annex Canada- which didn't exactly go over well up north. And all the great forts built along the border were to protect Canada from the US.

As an interesting side effect- Michigan's first hockey coach was part of the recovery effort. He was in the area recovering from wounds suffered in WWI, and decided to go to medical school as a result of his efforts. That medical school was Michigan, where Joe Barss managed to convince Yost to build an indoor rink before the depression. I have a gut feeling that had a lot to do with Michigan's early success in college hockey.

So this massive explosion that happened 100 years ago today in Halifax had a pretty sizable impact on college hockey.
    Great story, alfa. I'm sure it will prompt many of us to find out more.

Comment

Cool. Thanks.
      Code:
      As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
      College Hockey 6       College Football 0
      BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
      Originally posted by SanTropez
      May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
      Originally posted by bigblue_dl
      I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
      Originally posted by Kepler
      When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
      He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by burd View Post
        Great story, alfa. I'm sure it will prompt many of us to find out more.
        We've gone on cruises to Halifax 3 times, and learned of the explosion on the first of them. Not to enough detail, like with Bacon's book. But it was interesting.

This year, we had a cruise from Quebec, and that really sparked some interest in Canadian history- and this adds to that, a lot. Especially when it marks the end of bad relations and starts one of the closest relations between two countries in the world. It's not an accident that the "wall" will not cover our northern border.

Comment

This years tree on Boston Common.

http://thechronicleherald.ca/opinion...l-appreciation
          A bad cause requires many words.

Comment

I traveled to Halifax for work once. Has to be one of the most beautiful places on Earth.
            **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
            Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
              We've gone on cruises to Halifax 3 times, and learned of the explosion on the first of them. Not to enough detail, like with Bacon's book. But it was interesting.

This year, we had a cruise from Quebec, and that really sparked some interest in Canadian history- and this adds to that, a lot. Especially when it marks the end of bad relations and starts one of the closest relations between two countries in the world. It's not an accident that the "wall" will not cover our northern border.
              Were the bad relations because there were so many loyalists living there? I actually read about the explosion randomly a month ago or so. There was a ferry that ran to Nova Scotia close to where I grew up but I foolishly never went over. It’s definitely a place I am going to visit at some point.
              Originally posted by BobbyBrady
              Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
                Were the bad relations because there were so many loyalists living there? I actually read about the explosion randomly a month ago or so. There was a ferry that ran to Nova Scotia close to where I grew up but I foolishly never went over. It’s definitely a place I am going to visit at some point.
                Canada was part of Great Britain until 150 years ago (happy 150 Canada!!!). And Canada did support the south in our Civil war, secretly- the North trapped a South boat in Halifax harbor, until the locals told them a way around the blockade.

There were a number of fighting battles between the US and Canada- one of the more notable is when Canada burned Washington in the War of 1812.

And it didn't help that the US Speaker of the House, Champ Clark, said- "I look forward to the time when the American flag will fly over every square foot of British North America up to the North Pole. The people of Canada are of our blood and language." It sounds nice and all, but not so much to Canadians.

Finally, Canadians fighting in France were not happy that we were not part of that, too.

Lots of reasons that our relations were not good.

Comment

If you're ever in Halifax visit the museum of the explosion, it's great. Ask for Babs.

Fun fact: "Hello City" by BNL is about Halifax.
                  Last edited by Kepler; 12-06-2017, 10:07 AM.
                  Cornell University
                  National Champion 1967, 1970
                  ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                  Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

There is a nice book out by John U. Bacon about the explosion. I just finished it and not bad at all.
                    MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

http://torontosun.com/news/local-new...we-were-dec-10
                      Growing old is mandatory -- growing up is optional!

Comment

Working...
                      X